Flying our Cardinal south for its new plumage - Long report

Old October 16th 05, 03:30 AM
George Patterson

Default Flying our Cardinal south for its new plumage - Long report

Jay Honeck wrote:

"Hassle"? How is it that we all love to fly, but a long cross-country
is viewed as a "hassle"?

I never viewed it as one. It might be a challenge (especially for weather
reasons), but I always liked going someplace far away that I had never been to
before.

George Patterson
Drink is the curse of the land. It makes you quarrel with your neighbor.
It makes you shoot at your landlord. And it makes you miss him.
Old October 16th 05, 03:50 AM
George Patterson

Jay Honeck wrote:

Your experience all comes down to the local manager/owner's
attitude, and how well they supervise housekeeping.

That's been my experience as well.

Old October 16th 05, 02:01 PM
Jay Honeck

We are as much of flying fools as you and Mary ;-) In the last 4
months, we have made 3 long cross-country trips totaling close to
7000nm. The hassle I referred to was all the transportation logistics
booking commercial flights, getting ground transportations etc.. and
certainly not the flying by ourselves part.

I know -- I was just spoofin' ya...

:-)

It only costs you $1000 to reskin? Is this the whole aileron?

This was to re-skin the outboard half of the right aileron, back in
'98. That price included the inside rib that was bent, labor, and
repainting to match. At the time I thought it was outrageous, but I
was new to the ownership game. Now it doesn't sound so bad! :-)

When it comes to certified aircraft
parts, it feels like skyway robbery sometimes!

"Sometimes"?! I was quoted $1300 for the stall indicator switch out in
the wing of my old Warrior. Upon inspection, we found this to be a $3
buck Radio Shack switch. Despite this, I ended buying a "servicable"
(meaning "used & about to break") switch for "only" $350.

Parts prices are absurd. We desperately need an on-line parts house --
someone that stocks aircraft parts -- that can sell them to us
directly. Wentworth does this well for used parts -- I wish someone
would come along and open up a "Best Buy" for airplane parts.

I had stayed at few H.I.E and they were all decent. The H.I.E near
Little Rock airport looked much newer and nicer than the Days Inn which
was definitely worth the extra $5 ($60 vs. $55).

If you found one for $60, it's probably okay. Around here (and
nationally) Holiday Inn Express' are $99 per night, for which you get
the privilege of a tiny room, an awful bed, a shower that has less
pressure than a dime-store squirt gun, and stale bakery in the lobby.

At our place, $99 gets you a hot tub, a 450 sq ft, 1-bedroom suite,
full kitchen, commercial water pressure showers, and a
delivered-to-your-suite breakfast.

Like the old IBM football commercials used to say: "You make the
call..."

I telll you, the
filthy chairs they had in the Days Inn room definitely belonged to the
pigsty. Not sure whether the fact that they had to house some
semi-permanent guests had something to do with it. If I was the
manager, I'd haul them to the dump.

Dirty is unforgiveable. Old is not necessarily bad. We've got some
pretty old chairs in our Wright Brothers Suite, for example. :-)

And it really depends on the nature of the "semi-permanent guests."
(We call them "corporate guests", BTW.) We have nine suites set aside
solely for use by long-term guests, which (in our case) means traveling
nurses, visiting professors, families hunting for homes, etc. These
are some of the best guests you'll find -- they regard our place as
"home."

If, on the other hand, you were dealing with transients in a
flop-house, you were in "lodging hell"...

While traveling, we just want a clean room, a comfortable bed and a
working shower. Extra things like coffee pot, hairdryer, newspaper,
breakfast etc. are nice but not essential. It can be annoying if there
are too much nonessential stuffs in place of essential items. Our most
awful experience was a swanky hotel in Quito in our Galapagos diving
trip. The hotel had spacious lobby filled with art works, huge vases
of fresh roses everywhere. Our immense room was also tastefully
decorated with art works and fresh cut flowers. Plush bath ropes and
slippers were provided. At night, waiter brought expensive chocolates
and roses to put on pillows. We just got back from a week of diving
and therefore were quite mindful of high altitude effect. Quito was at
10,000'. Hydration was essential. After having a bout with Montezuma
revenge at the beginning of the trip from eating an unpeeled peach in
another swanky hotel in Guayaquil, I would not even want to brush my
teeth with tap water. The only water availabe was some tiny Evian
bottles at $3.50 each. That was the most stupid thing that a hotel
manager could possibly do. We told our tour organizer/tour guide never
to book any guests at the hotel.

Yeah, that's pretty dumb -- but it's hard to tell how some guests will
react to different things. This weekend is a perfect case in point:

As I write this we've got some incredibly testy folks in our Reno Air
Race Suite -- our top of the line smoking-permitted honeymoon suite --
for the weekend. We're 100% booked, have been sold out since last
March (this is a home football weekend here), and these folks have just
been bitching about everything since they got here.

The ventilation in the room is "inadequate" (they're smokers!), the
chocolate cake donut they ordered with breakfast "only had chocolate on
top -- the cake part wasn't chocolate", the parking lot was too full to
park near their room, etc. It just went on and on, while we just stood
there and smiled. I don't know if they were angling for a refund, or
what, but it was almost comical.

Alternatively, we've got another couple in our oldest, dingiest suite
this weekend. It's not an aviation theme suite, the carpet is shot,
the appliances are original with the building (1980!), and the previous
guests had cats in there. It was all we had left (we always book it
last), we cleaned it thoroughly, and....

....the guests LOVE it. They've been raving about it since they got
here (it's huge, at 2-stories and 1300 sq rt.), they love having two
bathrooms, etc. They've booked it for EVERY HOME GAME NEXT YEAR, at a
cost of well over $2600.

Bottom line: You just can't tell. The folks we think are going to be
great often aren't. The folks who look like trouble often are the best
guests. Much of it seems to depend on the mood they're in when they
arrive.

About the paint shop choice. I had done as much research as I could
checking out the shop reputation and customers' feedback. Just cross
our fingers that no surprises will come up.

I've heard so many "paint the plane" horror stories that I'm just
dreading the job. Luckily, our paint still has a few more years in it!

Good luck!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 16th 05, 03:04 PM
Longworth

Jim,

I was ****ed off because in all of my travelling experience in the
Caribbean/South America staying at high-priced places, that pretentious
hotel was the only one that did not offer free bottled water. I was
not rich enough to brush my teeth happily with $3.5 bottled water ;-)
If the hotel chose to make extra money from bottled water, that was
their choice. I also had my choice to warn my fellow divers, travellers
about their illogical practice.

We was whisked from the airport to the hotel very late at night. We
were not brave or stupid enough to wander Quito street near midnight
looking for cheap bottled water. The next day, we asked the tour bus
to stop at a convenient store to get a gallon of water for a buck. We
also bought some Evian bottles at 50 cents each to replace the hotel's
water. At checkout, I had to dispute the charge and told them the
bottles were replaced the next day!

Hai

Old October 19th 05, 07:58 PM
Chris G.

I called AOPA in February and they no longer offer the pinch-hitter
course at all.

Chris G.

Longworth wrote:
Mark,
It's great that your wife plans to take the pinch hitter course. You
never know, she may end up wanting to fly herself and you too will have
to 'fight' for PIC time like us ;-)

Glad that you like to read my rambling reports. Just hope that we
will have a good one for the next trip flying the plane back to NY.

Hai

Old October 19th 05, 08:00 PM
Gig 601XL Builder

They do have a DVD and manual though.

http://www.aopa.org/asf/store/#pinch

Old October 19th 05, 08:53 PM
Longworth

Chris G. wrote:
I called AOPA in February and they no longer offer the pinch-hitter
course at all.

Chris,
I did a quick web search and found quite a few of flight schools
offering the pinch hitter course. They may use the same syllabus and
material as AOPA. I'd think that any flight school would be happy to
offer such course. I'd think that a willing pinch hitter can learn
quite a bit by watching AOPA's DVD or follow the syllabus with a pilot
or instructor's help.

1. http://www.aopa.org/asf/store/#pinch

B1254A, Pinch-Hitter DVD and Manual - $29.95
D872A, Pinch-Hitter Pilot Training DVD - $23.45
M873A, Pinch-Hitter Pilot Training Manual - $6.50
M875A, Pinch-Hitter Instructor Guide - $2.50

Note: one can rent the video for $10 here
http://www.justplanevideos.com/catalog.htm

2. Teaching passensgers to fly

http://www.aopa.org/asf/publications...m?article=4375

3. http://www.tradewindsaviation.com/pinch-hitter.asp

4.http://www.scottsdaleflightacademy.c...nt/view/50/89/

5. http://home.gci.net/~rruess/rates.html

6. http://www.lonestarflyers.com/othercourses.htm

etc.

Old October 19th 05, 10:33 PM
Ross Richardson

My wife went to the AOPA pinch hitter course several years ago. She said
there was not much to it. What I really liked was that right after we
married 35 years ago, that she went and soloed. That really gave her the
confidence to fly an airplane. However, she never went on to finish, but
she did solo, twice.

-------------
Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
KSWI

Old October 19th 05, 10:54 PM
Matt Whiting

Ross Richardson wrote:
My wife went to the AOPA pinch hitter course several years ago. She said
there was not much to it. What I really liked was that right after we
married 35 years ago, that she went and soloed. That really gave her the
confidence to fly an airplane. However, she never went on to finish, but
she did solo, twice.

Wouldn't that then make it a duo rather than a solo? :-)

Matt
Old October 20th 05, 12:23 AM
Robert Chambers

Well when you consider what a pinch hitter course is, any CFI that you
respect and think will be a good fit with your flying partner (be they
wife, husband, girlfriend etc) can do a similar thing.

Some ground school, navigation, radio, how to find help. and some flying
from the right seat where they'd normally be sitting.

You aren't looking to turn this person into a private pilot (yet) but
having some familiarity with the control of the plane and how to keep
the plane where you want it as well as how to control the plane in order
to descend and land would be all that is really neccessary.

Robert