Engine Recomendations

Old October 17th 05, 03:58 AM
Mark Manes

Default Engine Recomendations

Just got engines for my T310-Q (TSIO 520-B). I had light Crankcases and non
VAR Crankshafts, so I couldn't get any core credit for either. So overhaul
was not an option. Called AirPower and found that there are no new TSIO
520-B's available. So I opted for factory remans. They dont care if the
cases are light or the cranks are non VAR. $31,000 each, included the
Turbo's. I was about 150 hrs over TBO and have replaced 5 cylinders in the
800 hrs I have owned the airplane. I had 2 first run rebuilt Milleniums
that never really had good compressions, so we didn't do that any more. The
3 new continentals are still on the old engines and still have compressions
over 75. That's just my experience your milage may vary! Call a couple of
the places and ask you may not get core credit for the cracked case. Good
Luck

Mark Manes
N28409

"f" wrote in message
Today was not a good day for the Baron. While replacing a cylinder I
found a crack (confirmed with Dye Pent) off the #5 cylinder leading up
towards the case halves.

The engine has 2750 Hr since new and about 1000 Hr since a TW Smith
overhaul. The case is repairable, but it seems like a waste to not do
the overhaul.

The question is has anyone recently purchased a Factory New engine? The
cost is about $4K more but the parts are not a mix of old parts.

The engine is an IO-470L.

Any thoughts and opinions will be a great help.

Paul

Old October 17th 05, 04:08 PM
Dave Stadt

"Newps" wrote in message

Doug wrote:
My experience and what others tell me is factory new engines last
longer until overhaul. After all, they are NEW. It makes a difference.
Ideally it shouldn't, but it does.

Perhaps with Lycoming. I wouldn't want a factory new Continental
because that means Continental cylinders.

Nor Lycoming crankshafts. I'll take an old Conti with ECI or Superior
cylinders any day.

Old October 17th 05, 10:36 PM

Opinion:

If you have a first run engine, you are a good candidate for a fancy
overhaul.
And you keep track of where all your low time parts are... they are in
YOUR engine.

If you have a rotten old engine, you are better off to go back to the
till for newer
parts. A factory reman. It usually is cheaper.

Horror stories abound on both sides of this one. YMMV. Bill Hale

Old October 18th 05, 01:56 PM

Bill:

Good points and ones that really help to make my decision.

I have a second run engine that has had problems it's whole life. When I
bought the plane I priced it expecting the engine to fall short of TBO.
This is not a surprise, but I hate being without the plane.

I decided on the Superior Millennium Engine program. It is about the same
price as a factory remanufactured engine, but the specs and warranty are
better then the factory. Wish me luck and I'll report on how well it comes
out.

I must admit I was leaning towards a new engine, but I made two calls to
providers of new factory engines and the only way to guaranty a speedy
delivery date was to pay a 10% up charge. The thought of paying $31K for
the engine and another $3,100 for a three to four week delivery was the
deciding negative factor.

Thanks to all for the help, suggestion and good thoughts.

Paul Mandel
N43BS

oups.com...

Old October 19th 05, 01:12 AM
Victor J. Osborne, Jr.

I had good communication w/ Superior. I say communication b/c I didn't need
any warranty work. The 50,100, 250,500 hr reports w/ add to your maint.
cost although they do provide the pre-paid sample kits for required oil
analysis.

--

Victor J. (Jim) Osborne, Jr.

.. .

Gyrocopter Speed Mark Rotorcraft 36 August 16th 05 11:28 PM
Proposals for air breathing hypersonic craft. I Robert Clark Military Aviation 2 May 26th 04 06:42 PM
Car engine FAA certified for airplane use Cy Galley Home Built 10 February 6th 04 03:03 PM
What if the germans... Charles Gray Military Aviation 119 January 26th 04 11:20 PM
Real stats on engine failures? Captain Wubba Piloting 127 December 8th 03 04:09 PM