R-22 vs Mosquito

Old May 5th 08, 10:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

Default R-22 vs Mosquito

I've heard for sometime that the R-22 is harder to fly than the little
ultralite Mosquito. This past week end I took a 1/2 hr ride in an R-22. In
my opinion the cyclic in the R-22 with its lack of feel or any kind of force
feedback is at least an order of magnitude more difficult to adjust to than
the Mosquito. Had I tried to lift the R-22 off the grass without the
benefit of an instructor, I would probably have rolled it. On the other
hand I have soloed two versions of the Mosquito with no trouble. I think I
agree with the wags that claim if you can fly the R-22 you can fly anything.
It took me about 10 minutes before the instructor felt like leaving his hand
off the cyclic. I now have some stick time in several versions of the Bell
47s, a Brantly, 300CB, several different Safaris, two different Mosquitos, a
Huey UH-1N and the Hummingbird. To date my pecking order in ease of flight
would start with the Huey, then the Mosquito, then the Brantly, then a toss
up with the Safaris and the Hummingbird, The Bells and the 300CB and
certainly last the R-22.
I did like the governor tho.

Stu Fields

Old May 6th 08, 09:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT" net wrote in
message ...
On Mon, 5 May 2008 14:48:38 -0700, "Stuart & Kathryn Fields"
wrote:

[...]

Perhaps you're just not cut out to be a helicopter pilot and as such,
should give me the Baby Belle so it just doesn't sit and collect
dust...

Kevin: I am taking your suggestion under consideration. However, I'm kind
of slow in digging some of the suggestions out of the consideration box.
Yours may take a considerable amount of considering.
Stu

Old May 6th 08, 11:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Ash Wyllie

Stuart & Kathryn Fields opined

wrote:

[...]

I'll exercise the Baby Bell for you while you are making up your mind.

I's nice to seesome ligitimate traffic here. But Belfort noticed it too, and is
back .

-ash
Cthulhu in 2008!
Vote the greater evil.

Old May 7th 08, 12:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Maxwell[_2_]

"Stuart & Kathryn Fields" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

As simple, inexpensive, reliable and valuable as governors are, I can't
believe the are not included on every rotorcraft. It's just makes too much
sense.

Old May 7th 08, 06:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT" net wrote in
message ...
On Tue, 6 May 2008 13:11:13 -0700, "Stuart & Kathryn Fields"
wrote:

Kevin: I am taking your suggestion under consideration. However, I'm
kind
of slow in digging some of the suggestions out of the consideration box.
Yours may take a considerable amount of considering.
Stu

A simple "Kiss my ass" would have sufficed.

Now that is too crude for a magazine editor to use. I have to practice
using more words in case we get a shortage of articles and an abundance of
space.

Old May 7th 08, 06:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

On Tue, 6 May 2008 18:07:46 -0500, "Maxwell" luv2^fly99@cox.^net
wrote:

As simple, inexpensive, reliable and valuable as governors are, I can't
believe the are not included on every rotorcraft. It's just makes too much
sense.

The correlator on the Robbies is pretty good.. Flying with the gov
off isn't a whole lot different than with it on...

One of the Schweizers I fly has a HORRIBLE correlator and you MUST be
good on the throttle to fly this particualr one smoothly.

One bad thing about governors, as witnessed in the turbine pilots trying to
fly a non governed ship, is if the governor fails, hey sometimes electronics
do fail, you have a real problem if you haven't practiced flying without it
and how many practice lazy pilots are out there?
All that said, I would like to have a governor when the workload gets high
like formation flying for photos, chasing coyotes at low altitude etc.
I didn't try flying the R-22 sans governor. I was having all the fun that I
wanted trying to adapt to the cyclic. The instructor, trying to be a nice
guy, told some stories about ex military pilots checking out in an R-22 and
using up quite a few hours. It did make me feel a little better.

Stu

Old May 7th 08, 11:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Maxwell[_2_]

"Stuart & Kathryn Fields" wrote in message
.. .
One bad thing about governors, as witnessed in the turbine pilots trying
to fly a non governed ship, is if the governor fails, hey sometimes
electronics do fail, you have a real problem if you haven't practiced
flying without it and how many practice lazy pilots are out there?
All that said, I would like to have a governor when the workload gets high
like formation flying for photos, chasing coyotes at low altitude etc.
I didn't try flying the R-22 sans governor. I was having all the fun that
I wanted trying to adapt to the cyclic. The instructor, trying to be a
nice guy, told some stories about ex military pilots checking out in an
R-22 and using up quite a few hours. It did make me feel a little better.

Stu

I wouldn't want an electronic governor, mechanical is too easy, and too
reliable. When you think of it, we have all owned dozens of them. I've never
had one fail.

Old May 8th 08, 03:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft

messagenews:mtm324pp09s3fdmmb8ouqamlr9q0fuhhhj@4ax .com...

wrote:

As simple, inexpensive, reliable and valuable as governors are, I can't
believe the are not included on every rotorcraft. It's just makes too much
sense.

The correlator on the Robbies is pretty good.. *Flying with the gov
off isn't a whole lot different than with it on...

One of the Schweizers I fly has a HORRIBLE correlator and you MUST be
good on the throttle to fly this particualr one smoothly.

That is why there are EP's (emergency procedures) for governor
failure. I have flown a turbine for 10 years without any hint of a
governor failure. DUring this time the governor timed out and was
rebuilt. I would much rather have a governor and EP's in the unlikely
event of a failure than no governor!

Old May 12th 08, 01:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
enewbold[_2_]

Hey, Stu, do you ever visit http://www.rotaryforum.com/ ? Lots of
gyroplane and helicopter chat going on all the time over there. Right
now Stan Foster is chronicling his R-22 lessons as he takes them.

Cheers,
Ed Newbold
Columbus, OH

Old May 12th 08, 04:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

"enewbold" wrote in message
Hey, Stu, do you ever visit http://www.rotaryforum.com/ ? Lots of
gyroplane and helicopter chat going on all the time over there. Right
now Stan Foster is chronicling his R-22 lessons as he takes them.

Cheers,
Ed Newbold
Columbus, OH

Ed: I have looked into the rotaryforum every now and then and it is 98%
gyrocopters. While we have some anti-social behavior from the "Stuck Wing"
crowd, I've also seen some similar behavior from the gyro pilots toward the
helicopters. To wit Bensen Days this year negative comments were heard from
the gyro people and again at Sun'n Fun. While the new PRA pres wants to get
the helos back in the group at Mentone and other events, a number of the
gyro folks seem to wish the helos would go away. That said, it seems like,
as in the traffic pattern, the helicopters need to do "Right Hand" in the
"Left Hand" pattern of the "Stuck Wing" and Gyros. Inspite of helos and
gyros both being rotary wing, there is a lot more in common between the
"Stuck Wings" and the gyros than between gyros and helos. Traffic patterns
and runway needs are the main operational difference. Sun'n Fun operations
illuminated a need to separate the gyro operations from the helicopters.
Their needs are just different. While the Event operators want everyone to
come, there needs to be a little thought about the peaceful co-existence of
the different A/C types. This may also be true in forums and NGs. It would
make sense to provide some separation for the different types of A/C
discussions. I know I'm not too interested in propeller discussions or
pre-rotators, brakes and centerline thrust.
There are an increasing number of helicopter fly-ins where the helicopters
are made to feel welcome. Vertical Challenge, Central Sierra, Utah
Helicopter Meet, Homer's, Spurlings, St. Denis in Florida, and a Mosquito
based show also in Florida, and Rotorfest in PA as well as some others that
I can't remember right now.
I've been hoping to find a news group or forum that focused on experimental
helicopters. This RAR has in the past been loaded more with the commercial
helo operators. I've tried to get some stuff going but I haven't hit the
right note yet.

Stu

Mosquito Pjmac35 Aviation Photos 0 July 21st 07 07:47 PM
Ok then, how about the Mosquito? Bob Upp Home Built 5 January 10th 07 03:36 PM
I Want a Mosquito..... Shiver Rotorcraft 5 January 30th 06 06:27 AM