Story from an older pilot 74

Old October 26th 04, 11:46 PM
Matt Whiting

G.R. Patterson III wrote:

Hankal wrote:

We've never had any damage, nor have I had to buy gas -- ever. Pilots are
good people.

I kind of understand that in Iowa, folks there do not have to lock their doors,
beacuse they do not have the criminals that we have on the East coast.

As Carl Hiaasen puts it, criminals tend to avoid places like that because the prybars
freeze to their hands most of the year. :-)

And, like here in PA, they find that too much lead isn't good for your
health.

Matt

Old October 27th 04, 01:16 AM
Hankal

What would you expect from a Windows OS unit?

What makes you so sure that it would not happen with a Garmin?
Old October 27th 04, 02:45 PM
Jay Honeck

The unit just goes blank with lots of yellow, blue and green lines. If I
do a "
Ram clear" the unit works fine again, but I would have lost all my flight
plans.

I had this happen to mine a couple of times. Although "clear starting it"
always solved the problem, the ultimate fix was a software upgrade that
AvMap did for free at OSH '04.

I'm surprised and disappointed to hear about the other problems. Ours has
been absolutely bullet-proof, and the unit seems to be built like a tank.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 27th 04, 04:35 PM
Marco Leon

I am assuming you're referring to the IFR panel units. Garmin benefits from
a stringent certifaction and quality assurance process for IFR certified GPS
systems. Avmap does not produce systems for IFR usage. An error like that
occurring on a GNS 430/530 would be big news and most likely end up as an
AD. As for their handhelds (non-IFR), they will benefit from an
engineering/QA staff experienced with TSO-C129 and TSO 146 certification
processes.

Marco

Old October 28th 04, 12:54 PM
WARREN1157

Don't hear about GPS failures often.

You must not run Palm Pilots.
Old October 28th 04, 03:40 PM
Marco Leon

Maybe that's why From his original post, it sounded like Hank was using
his GPS for primary navigation in IMC because when it failed, he then went
"VOR to VOR." The [legal] GPS units that allow you to do that rarely fail.

Marco

Old October 28th 04, 06:24 PM
Hankal

From his original post, it sounded like Hank was using
his GPS for primary navigation in IMC because when it failed, he then went
"VOR to VOR." The [legal] GPS units that allow you to do that rarely fail.

Marco.
To set the record straight I was using both VOR'S for primary navigation.
I was using the GPS as seconday and intersection awareness.
As a matter of fact the day before my copilot ask me what I would do if my GPS
failed. My answer was VOR to VOR to stay on airways.
Hank
Old November 4th 04, 04:26 AM
Marco Leon

Sorry Hank. Didn't mean to imply that you were not legal. The way you wrote
the post implied that it was an action-reaction.

Regards,

Marco

From his original post, it sounded like Hank was using