CSA Redux?

Old April 13th 04, 07:42 AM
Mike Kanze

Forget the Hornet Mafia - the Herkies would NEVER buy it.

(Fair warning - brain fart coming on.) The only way I could see this
working at all would be a big, straight deck on a ship dedicated to the
purpose (a "CVK"?). With one (and one only) Herc, due to space limitations.
(End of brain fart.)

--
Mike Kanze

"The enemy should be in no doubt that we are his Nemesis and that we are
bringing about his rightful destruction."

- Lieutenant-Colonel Tim Collins, Royal Irish Battle Group, to his troops on
the eve of Operation Iraqi Freedom

"sid" wrote in message
om...
(sid) wrote in message

. com...
Looks like the need for more than single seat fighters is becoming an
issue again. From the April Seapower:
http://www.navyleague.org/sea_power/apr_04_16.php
"Boeing's Ted Herman, business development manager for the F-18
program, told Sea Power the Super Hornet tanker helps "extend the
legs" of the strike aircraft and does not compromise on aerodynamic
performance.

But the Navy is not entirely content with the Super Hornet as a
tanker. While converted to refuel, the jet is not carrying weapons for
strike missions. Fitzgerald said the Navy would consider a replacement

Here is a realted tidbit in the current AvWeek...
Navy plans to continue dominating the world's oceans despite tight
budgets will require, among other things, strategic aerial tanking
that, in turn, will drive experiments with launching KC-130s from
large-deck aircraft carriers, Rear Adm. Jay M. Cohen, chief of naval
research, says at the annual Navy League convention here. The idea is
to give Navy and Marine aircraft what Cohen terms "overland persistent
tanking."

Wonder how the Hornet Mafia would take to this...

Old April 13th 04, 07:49 AM
sid

Peter Kemp wrote in message . ..
On 12 Apr 2004 13:59:03 -0700, (sid) wrote:

(sid) wrote in message . com...
[...]

Some problems with using a KC-130 are....
a. getting them off the deck with a decent load
b. conducting any other ops while the damn thing is on the deck
(you're not going to be striking a Herc into the hangar without a lot
of sawing).

---
Peter Kemp

I'm just passing along what the Admiral had to say...
Since Boeing is so wrapped up with wanting to continue finding uses
for their geriatric aircraft types (767 and 737), they may as well
reopen production of the A-3.
Old April 13th 04, 11:45 AM
sid

"Mike Kanze" wrote in message ...
Forget the Hornet Mafia - the Herkies would NEVER buy it.

(Fair warning - brain fart coming on.) The only way I could see this
working at all would be a big, straight deck on a ship dedicated to the
purpose (a "CVK"?). With one (and one only) Herc, due to space limitations.
(End of brain fart.)

--
Mike Kanze

Kinda like this?
http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/i...000/h93833.jpg

You know the Forrestals were certified for 26 A-3s and the
Independence made her first cruise with 18 on board (no F-8s
though-they stayed at Rota)
Old April 13th 04, 01:52 PM
Publius Ovidius Naso

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 23:42:45 -0700, "Mike Kanze"
wrote:

Forget the Hornet Mafia - the Herkies would NEVER buy it.

(Fair warning - brain fart coming on.) The only way I could see this
working at all would be a big, straight deck on a ship dedicated to the
purpose (a "CVK"?). With one (and one only) Herc, due to space limitations.
(End of brain fart.)

Actually way back in the late 80's i saw ideas for a floating airfield
that would be brought to a location and anchored. Big enough to
handle over 100 aircraft including C-130's and such.

Old April 13th 04, 07:21 PM
Mike Kanze

Shades of LANGLEY - folding funnels and all!

At least on the FORRESTALs (and smaller) you could strike the Whales below.
No way with a Herc.

--
Mike Kanze

"The enemy should be in no doubt that we are his Nemesis and that we are
bringing about his rightful destruction."

- Lieutenant-Colonel Tim Collins, Royal Irish Battle Group, to his troops on
the eve of Operation Iraqi Freedom

"sid" wrote in message
om...

Old April 13th 04, 07:36 PM
Mike Kanze

"Floating airfield" (buncha barges lashed together, anchored / towed into
the wind) - BIG "maybe."

Actually this has been one of the proposals floated (pun intended) to
provide capacity expansion for San Francisco International Airport, among
other locations.

However, imagine the view from the cockpit during a Case I recovery to one
of these contraptions during a high sea state. Imagine the motion of the
deck lighting during a night recovery in the same sea conditions.

Finally, imagine the seaworthiness issues one must overcome for offshore
operations.

Old April 14th 04, 01:39 PM
Publius Ovidius Naso

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 11:36:14 -0700, "Mike Kanze"
wrote:

"Floating airfield" (buncha barges lashed together, anchored / towed into
the wind) - BIG "maybe."

Actually this has been one of the proposals floated (pun intended) to
provide capacity expansion for San Francisco International Airport, among
other locations.

However, imagine the view from the cockpit during a Case I recovery to one
of these contraptions during a high sea state. Imagine the motion of the
deck lighting during a night recovery in the same sea conditions.

Finally, imagine the seaworthiness issues one must overcome for offshore
operations.

Glad I'm retired and won't have to deal with it.

HAHA

Old April 14th 04, 02:12 PM
Pechs1

sid- Since Boeing is so wrapped up with wanting to continue finding uses
for their geriatric aircraft types (767 and 737), they may as well
reopen production of the A-3. BRBR

Don't get why the S-3 issn't retrofitted as a KS-too slow? Would a Whale be
able to 'keep up'?

P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old April 18th 04, 08:14 AM
Tiger

gizmo-goddard wrote:

"Charlie Wolf" wrote in message
.. .

I've been gone for quite a while (retired AWC - 1992) but I still
don't fully understand why they are throwing away the S-3's?? Seems
it's the answer to several of the things that have been mentioned in
this thread...

It would be. My best guess would be that the Hornet Mafia, wanting to use
the Hornet for anything and everything wouldn't allow NAVAIRSYSCOM to even
consider any other airframe.

__!_!__
Gizmo
"Welcome to NAVAIRSYSCOM, owned and operated by McDonell-Douglas, er Boeing"

Ah, the F/A -18 Hornet "the Swiss Army knife of airplanes." A jack of
all trades & master of none!
Does it play the "Green Hornet" theme song on engine starts? :-P

Old May 11th 04, 10:43 PM
DBurch7672

Subject: CSA Redux?
From: Peter Kemp
Date: 4/12/04 5:12 PM US Eastern Standard Time

On 12 Apr 2004 13:59:03 -0700,
(sid) wrote:

(sid) wrote in message
[...]

Life is short - drink faster

Sounds like someone needs their copy of "Pearl Harbor" or whatever book on the
Doolittle Tokyo raid he/she was reading and/or funny cigarettes taken away!