What's up with Google???

Old October 30th 06, 03:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kingfish

Default What's up with Google???

3-4 times in the last week I've posted replies only to get the Oops!
message and that the page is unavailable (reply got wiped out). This
after a masterfully crafted & often witty response on my part which the
group was denied tongue-in-cheek mode off Seriously, is anyone else
seeing this? Most annoying...

Old October 30th 06, 03:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gpsman

Kingfish wrote: brevity snip
3-4 times in the last week I've posted replies only to get the Oops!
message and that the page is unavailable (reply got wiped out).

Prolly not wiped out, just hit the "back" button (or Ctrl + L arrow).

Seriously, is anyone else seeing this? Most annoying...

Yes, and yes it is. I have to hit "Reply" and "Preview" twice, every
time, after getting the same message... and "Edit message" if used,
sometimes "Post" as well.

But, checking it now by hitting "Preview" and it works, first time.

You must have fixed it. Thanks.
-----

- gpsman

Old October 30th 06, 03:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Kingfish" wrote:
3-4 times in the last week I've posted replies only to get the Oops!
message and that the page is unavailable (reply got wiped out). This
after a masterfully crafted & often witty response on my part which the
group was denied tongue-in-cheek mode off Seriously, is anyone else
seeing this? Most annoying...

I don't think it's Google, I think it's Usenet, although I admittedly
don't know how it all works well enough to even guess what the problem
is. But I don't use Google for the groups except as a last resort, and
in almost 10 years of using Newswatcher to access/post to newsgroups
with *no* problems whatsoever, in the last week I've had similar error
messages and some down-time, too. ??
Old October 30th 06, 04:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

3-4 times in the last week I've posted replies only to get the Oops!
message and that the page is unavailable (reply got wiped out). This
after a masterfully crafted & often witty response on my part which the
group was denied tongue-in-cheek mode off Seriously, is anyone else
seeing this?

Yep. Their little glitch has wiped out several of my most artful

:-(

I've taken to highlighting everything and "Control-C"-ing before
clicking on "Post Message", just in case everything gets sucked into
the Google ether...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 30th 06, 05:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

Jay Honeck wrote:

Yep. Their little glitch has wiped out several of my most artful

:-(

I've taken to highlighting everything and "Control-C"-ing before
clicking on "Post Message", just in case everything gets sucked into
the Google ether...

Jay, considering what you give (well written aviation anecdotes) and take
(new hotel guests) out of Usenet, you should consider a commercial account.

Text-only, or download-limited accounts are available for US $2 to $4 per
month, which is one less beer a month (G), and certainly more reliable
than free Usenet providers, Google included.

--
Peter
Old October 30th 06, 05:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Newps

Peter R. wrote:

Jay Honeck wrote:

Yep. Their little glitch has wiped out several of my most artful

:-(

I've taken to highlighting everything and "Control-C"-ing before
clicking on "Post Message", just in case everything gets sucked into
the Google ether...

Jay, considering what you give (well written aviation anecdotes) and take
(new hotel guests) out of Usenet, you should consider a commercial account.

I don't get it. Does Jay not have an ISP that provides him with an
email account? If so just use your email client to setup a newsgroup
account. What's so hard about that?

Old October 30th 06, 05:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

Newps wrote:

If so just use your email client to setup a newsgroup
account. What's so hard about that?

His ISP probably does not offer a newsgroup server? Many these days do
not.

--
Peter
Old October 30th 06, 05:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

I don't get it. Does Jay not have an ISP that provides him with an
email account? If so just use your email client to setup a newsgroup
account. What's so hard about that?

The exact details of why this doesn't work are lost in the mist of time
for me, but here's the deal:

Our email and internet service provider is Mediacom, the local cable
network. At home, we have cable modem service, and THERE we can use
Outlook Express to access email and newsgroups, if we wish.

At the hotel, however, cable modem service proved so unreliable that I
eventually tossed Mediacom out on their ear, and went with Qwest DSL
service. For extra money, I can get usenet and email access through
them, but it just didn't seem to make any sense to pay extra $$ just so
I can screw around on newsgroups.

Thus, while at the hotel I have to access my email via Mediacom's
web-based email system, and usenet through web-based sites like Google
Groups. If there's a way to access usenet directly WITHOUT paying
this extra fee to Qwest, I'd be interested in hearing about it.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 30th 06, 05:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

Newps wrote:
Peter R. wrote:
I don't get it. Does Jay not have an ISP that provides him with an
email account? If so just use your email client to setup a newsgroup
account. What's so hard about that?

An ISP's account is usually pretty limited in bytes and what groups
they support. My ISP is pretty limited. I bought my own commercial
account for $7/month at Giganews.

-Robert

Old October 30th 06, 06:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

Jay Honeck wrote:

For extra money, I can get usenet and email access through
them, but it just didn't seem to make any sense to pay extra $$ just so
I can screw around on newsgroups.

Screw around?

Hypothetically, here, if I owned an aviation hotel my participation in the
aviation newsgroups would be considered a marketing expense, and therefore
the commercial Usenet monthly fee would be a business tax deduction. Thus,
the after tax expense would be around $1.50 per month for a reliable
connection to Usenet. Wouldn't take but one new customer per year to
justify that expense, no?

In your case, there is no doubt that you are getting hotel guests from your
participation in Usenet, as that is how I ended up there for one night last
summer and hopefully a longer stay sometime next summer.

--
Peter