Closing IFR flight plan at uncontrolled field

Old February 5th 06, 10:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Closing IFR flight plan at uncontrolled field

If you want to maintain IFR status until you're on the ground at an
uncontrolled field, who do you call when you're on the ground, assuming
there's no remote ARTCC radio facility within reach?

FSS?

Old February 5th 06, 11:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

It depends.

They tell you who to call by phone when they approve you to switch
frequencies.

If the last facility you were talking to was a civilian TRACON, they
usually want you to call them. If it was military or an ARTCC, they
usually want you to call FSS.

.... but that can change, even at a given airport.

If I were on the ground and wasn't sure who call, I'd call FSS first.
They'd either cancel IFR for me or tell me who to call.

Old February 5th 06, 11:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

There is no big hurry unless there is traffic waiting
approach, in which case, ask them to relay your safe
landing, otherwise, phone FSS and they will be happy to
advise Center. If your airport is in a TRACON area, I'm
sure you'll have a remote outlet.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

ups.com...

Old February 5th 06, 11:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

"paul kgyy" wrote:

If you want to maintain IFR status until you're on the ground at an
uncontrolled field, who do you call when you're on the ground, assuming
there's no remote ARTCC radio facility within reach?

FSS?

Exactly.

There's several ways to close an IFR flight plan at an uncontrolled field,
in decreasing order of convenience.

1) Cancel in the air while you're still within radio range of ATC.
Obviously only an option in VFR weather.

2) At some fields, there may be a frequency listed in the AFD by which you
can reach either ATC or FSS directly by radio on the ground. Sometimes
it's even the same frequency you were using in the air.

3) Sometimes, ATC will give you a phone number to call after you land to
cancel IFR (NY Approach often does that). This number will ring directly
at the tracon.

4) Lacking any of the above, call 1-800-WX-BRIEF and FSS will relay your
cancellation to ATC.
Old February 6th 06, 12:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

On 5 Feb 2006 14:50:52 -0800, "paul kgyy" wrote:

If you want to maintain IFR status until you're on the ground at an
uncontrolled field, who do you call when you're on the ground, assuming
there's no remote ARTCC radio facility within reach?

FSS?

You call the FSS, either by radio (if reachable) or by telephone.

If possible, you can also have an overflying a/c relay a cancellation to
ATC.

Usually, at KEPM, I use the telephone.
Old February 6th 06, 01:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Ron Rosenfeld wrote:
If possible, you can also have an overflying a/c relay a cancellation to
ATC.

Have you actually done that? It's my understanding that ATC won't accept
an IFR cancellation via an aircraft relay.
Old February 6th 06, 01:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

It's my understanding that ATC won't accept
an IFR cancellation via an aircraft relay.

Not true at all. You can either...
1) Call ATC on the radio (if they can get you)
2) Call ATC with the phone number they provide or
3) Call FSS

Remember to do it somewhat quickly because there may be others in a
holding pattern waiting for your cancelation.

-Robert

Old February 6th 06, 02:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

I have done so on several instances. Sometimes, when there
is traffic, ATC has advised that I should notify the
aircraft that is holding awaiting clearance to relay time on
the ground and cancellation. This may be different in
different center areas, don't know about New England or
California areas, but it is often done in Kansas and
Oklahoma.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

Old February 6th 06, 02:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

I had ATC request that I do exactly that in Northern Minnesota this
summer for another aircraft that landed. I called him on 122.8,
confirmed that he was on the ground, and informed ATC who closed his
flight plan.

Old February 6th 06, 03:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

paul kgyy wrote:

If you want to maintain IFR status until you're on the ground at an
uncontrolled field, who do you call when you're on the ground, assuming
there's no remote ARTCC radio facility within reach?

FSS?

That'll work as will calling pretty much any ATC facility.

Matt