DX9.0b NOT UNINSTALLABLE !?!?

Old October 7th 03, 12:50 AM
Mark Cherry

Default DX9.0b NOT UNINSTALLABLE !?!?

Hi all,

Did any of you who got as far as starting the install of this notice the warning
that it can't be uninstalled?

Does anyone know if it's a 'beta' version of some kind? If so, the webpage
doesn't say so.

If it's not uninstallable, what happens if the PC is a disaster area after the
upgrade? (Like mine was...)

--
Happy landings

Mark

~~~~~~~~~~~
MS FS2002 Pro Edition
P4 3.06gHz (800fsb); 512Mb DDR; Maxtor 200Gb
ATI Radeon 9200 256Mb dual head; 15" FST
all on a MSI 865PE Neo2 m/b
latest ATI Catalyst driver & Control panel
DX9.0b
Microsoft SideWinder Precision Pro (USB)
CH Virtual Pilot Pro
Thrustmaster Elite Pedals
Quickshot MasterPilot
CD-RW 52x...
DVD-ROM

Old October 7th 03, 01:33 AM
Dan

There is no such thing as an uninstallable version of DX.
They are what Microsoft calls core components of your OS. What one can do is
if you are running Windows XP or Windows ME is use the restore function to
return to an earlier time before you installed the newer version of DX.
Besides DX 9.0b is a patch that addresses problems that were in DX9.0 and
DX9.0a.
Hope it helps

Old October 7th 03, 11:03 PM
Mark Cherry

In ,
Dan wrote:

There is no such thing as an uninstallable version of DX.
They are what Microsoft calls core components of your OS. What one
can do is if you are running Windows XP or Windows ME is use the
restore function to return to an earlier time before you installed
the newer version of DX. Besides DX 9.0b is a patch that addresses
problems that were in DX9.0 and DX9.0a.
Hope it helps

In other words, you need to create a 'restore point' before starting the install
procedure?

If it's one of those things where it installs itself straight after downloading
it (ie while you're still on the phone!)
then you have to remember to set this restore point BEFORE you even commence the
download.

regards,

Mark

Old October 8th 03, 04:06 AM
ArtP

On Tue, 7 Oct 2003 23:03:16 +0100, "Mark Cherry"
wrote:

In other words, you need to create a 'restore point' before starting the install
procedure?

Whenever I update XP it automatically creates a restore point. I find
that I can back out of individual changes, even when they were done
during the same update session.
Old October 8th 03, 06:08 AM
John Penta

wrote:

In other words, you need to create a 'restore point' before starting the install
procedure?

Whenever I update XP it automatically creates a restore point. I find
that I can back out of individual changes, even when they were done
during the same update session.

So how do I create a restore point, if XP doesn't?
Old October 8th 03, 11:06 AM
ArtP

On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 01:08:23 -0400, John Penta
wrote:

So how do I create a restore point, if XP doesn't?

Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Restore System, Create
Restore Point, Next ...
Old October 8th 03, 09:42 PM
John Penta

wrote:

So how do I create a restore point, if XP doesn't?

Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Restore System, Create
Restore Point, Next ...

Thanks!:-) I now feel slightly less stupid and ashamed of myself for
missing the utterly obvious.:-)
Old October 9th 03, 07:51 PM
Mark Cherry

wrote:

In other words, you need to create a 'restore point' before starting
the install procedure?

Whenever I update XP it automatically creates a restore point. I find
that I can back out of individual changes, even when they were done
during the same update session.

Thanks. I'm learning all of this, after shifting from Win98!

Before I'd reached 'disaster area' point, culminating in returning the box to
the shop for a full XP reinstall, I made numberous program and driver installs
but, on peeking at system restore, only found restore points dating from where
the retailer had done the initial installations.

Is there a setting I'm missing somewhere?

--
Happy landings

Mark

~~~~~~~~~~~
MS FS2002 Pro Edition
P4 3.06gHz (800fsb); 512Mb DDR non-ECC; Maxtor 200gb
ATI Radeon 9200 256Mb dual head; 15" FST monitor
all on a MSI 865PE Neo2 m/b
Microsoft SideWinder Precision Pro (USB)
CH Virtual Pilot Pro {*}
Thrustmaster Elite Pedals {*}
Quickshot MasterPilot
CD-RW 52x.....
DVD-ROM
DX9.0 (not 9.0a or 9.0b)

{* via a gampeport-USB adaptor, currently knobbled by XP and reduced to 4
buttons, instead of 14)
Solutions welcome

Old October 9th 03, 08:49 PM
ArtP

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 19:51:20 +0100, "Mark Cherry"
wrote:

Before I'd reached 'disaster area' point, culminating in returning the box to
the shop for a full XP reinstall, I made numberous program and driver installs
but, on peeking at system restore, only found restore points dating from where
the retailer had done the initial installations.

Is there a setting I'm missing somewhere?

Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Restore System, System
Restore Settings

Old October 9th 03, 09:56 PM
Angus Lepper

There are programs, such as DirectXBuster, which will uninstall DX, then
install from your windows disk (or you can manually reinstalll) I needed to
do this as something weird happended with my Dx9, HTH