Joystick

Old October 8th 03, 11:22 PM
Jocko

Default Joystick

G'day!

I have a Logitech Wingman Extreme 3D Digital joystick. It's been working
fine for about a year, but now the rudder axis is very jittery. I was
blaming FS2004 for the poor taxiing when it turned out to be the joystick.
I only found this out when I thought I'd try to calibrate it again. All
other axis are rock-solid.

Does anyone know of a fix for this, or is it time for a better stick? If
it is, any suggestions what I should get? All I use it for is flight sim.

Cheers!

Jeff

Old October 9th 03, 01:36 AM
goo

G'day Jeff,

A couple of things you could have a look at. Jittery controls tends to
point to noise on the wire. It could be a loose connection on the
potentiometer (pot) or connector that controls the rudder, or it could be
poor or no sheilding on the wire to the pot. Have a look at the connections
first and if that doesn't solve it, replace the whole wire with a sheilded
wire (like a speaker wire - if you are from the deep south then Dick Smith
has some.) Connect the sheild to ground. Another thing to look at is on a
three terminal pot, the centre and one of the outside terminals are used,
the centre terminal should be connected to the other terminal that isn't
used (hope I make sense), this will definately reduce jitter.

Actually, poo, I just reread your post and realized you have a digital
joystick, so you won't have pots. I will leave the description above in
case someone else has a problem with jittery controls on an analogue
stick/rudder.

Digital joysticks use a combination of pnp transistors and resistors. It
could be a loose wire again (as above) between the components and the
connector, or a transistor giving up the ghost and becoming unstable. If
you can't find the problem, it may be worth investing in a new one. Sorry I
couldn't help more.

Regards,

Old October 10th 03, 06:07 PM
Thomas Peel

(Continuing the top post)

I have a Logitek Wingman Extreme 3D as well and have exactly the same
problem after using it for around one year.
I took it to pieces to see if I could figure anything out without much
success.
It seems to me to be a design problem - the Rz axis pot only moves
through a very small angle, consequently the track wears out very fast
at one point. I'm thinking about replacing the pot if I can find a
matching one, otherwise the whole thing goes in the trash.
Right now I've disabled it and steer with the keyboard instead.
Tom