Special Flight Setup Question (COF)

Old October 10th 03, 12:57 AM
Dudley Henriques

Default Special Flight Setup Question (COF)

Got a question if I may please. I've been fooling around with something and
I think I'm close to getting it right but could use a little advice here.
What I'm trying to do is create a flight without a flight plan from a
specific airport I intend to depart from, fly around a bit, and return
to...but I want to see if this can be done in a special way. What I'd like
to do is set up local weather for IFR conditions at takeoff...say solid
stratus overcast, about 1/2 mile visibility, and moderate rain. I'd make the
tops at about 2500 feet so that the takeoff and climb would be on
instruments, but breaking out in the clear for the local flight. Now this
doesn't pose a particular problem so far, as I've set up this weather ok in
the weather section while creating the flight under user defined weather for
a specific station....great!
First question; for a setup like this, is the weather above the upper limit
for the overcast default clear, or should I be selecting clear in some way
in the weather setup? I'm getting clear which is what I want, but I don't
know if it's an accident or if the sim's weather is defaulted clear over
whatever tops you specify.
Second question, and this is the one I need the help with really.
After flying around awhile in the clear say within 50 miles, I'd like to
file IFR in the air and request a specific approach back at my departure
airport....which should of course still be IFR as I left it.
I've found the ATC select to contact approach control, then the option to
file an IFR flight plan, but this is where I'm having trouble. The plan box
asks for a departure airport. I don't have one since I'm already in flight.
If I don't list a departure airport, the plan doesn't give me any way to
proceed. Can I file to go back to the airport I left and get the ILS for a
specific runway, and if so, how is this accomplished in flight?
Sorry to be so long winded on this, but I'd really like to get this right.
Here's the reason. I tried it without the flight plan filed, used the GPS
for vectors to the OM in the soup, then collided on the ILS with an aircraft
ATC had cleared properly for the approach.
There's GOT to be a way to do this properly.........anyone?????
Thanks much,
Dudley

Old October 10th 03, 02:05 AM
Icebound

Dudley Henriques wrote:
[...]

To create an IFR plan in flight:

You tune a departure/approach control, or an area centre, and ask to
create an IFR flight plan. It gives you the planner.
You create the flightplan normally just as you described, using any
nearby airport for the "departure" point, and the relevant airport which
you want as "destination". COF will ask you if you want to move the
aircraft to your departure point. YOU MUST ANSWER "NO". After the
flightplan is complete and saved, you return to the flight. Contact the
same controller and request "IFR Clearance" and he will clear you from
your current position.

You should then have the same options for approach as any other IFR
flight plan.

Note that if you create IFR conditions at your airport before takeoff,
you will need an IFR plan to depart because the tower will not let you
off the ground in IFR conditions without a plan. You can then "change
destination" in the air.

--
God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the
courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Old October 10th 03, 03:25 AM
Dudley Henriques

Thanks Ice. I have it now. I was getting derailed at the "pick a departure
airport" prompt.
About filing with ATC for the IFR departure. I haven't been doing that
because it's just a local flight and I don't think I can use the same
airport as a departure/destination can I; without editing the plan and
dragging to a nearby airport, then canceling and re-filing in the air for
the actual desired return destination airport that I left.
What I've been doing is leaving ATC out of the departure equation to avoid
all this fuss. I just set up the weather, taxi out and go (without the
radios on frequency of course to avoid the bitching from ATC :-)) This also
means watching out for other departing traffic and sequencing myself without
hitting anything.
:-)))
I usually use the non instrument runway for this departure. Then, after
doing what I want to do above the weather and in the clear, I can file in
flight as you suggested for the return in IFR conditions to the same airport
again with vectors to the ILS from ATC.
Am I ok doing it this way, or am I causing my self a problem perhaps later
on?
Dudley
"Icebound" wrote in message
. cable.rogers.com...

Old October 10th 03, 10:34 PM
Tom Gibson

Either your method or Ice's should work fine. Fly with ATC when you
want, don't fly with them when you want. FS is very accomodating.

Hope this helps,

Dudley Henriques wrote:
[...]
"Icebound" wrote in message
. cable.rogers.com...

[...]

[...]