World Contest - Open Class

Old November 23rd 16, 08:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Default World Contest - Open Class

Was looking over the entry sheet for WGC 2017. The open class seem dominated by 21 meter ships. Only two 23 meters (new generation open class) and four EB29. Nary a Nimbus 4 or ASW-22. Shame these beautifully ladies of the sky are not competitive with even the 21 meter birds. There is nothing like flying a 26.5 meter bird, they will stay in the sky on a breath of hot air. Their shape I find so much more alluring than the stubby wings of 21 meters or less.

Old November 23rd 16, 08:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston

On Wednesday, November 23, 2016 at 12:25:53 PM UTC-8, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Was looking over the entry sheet for WGC 2017. The open class seem dominated by 21 meter ships. Only two 23 meters (new generation open class) and four EB29. Nary a Nimbus 4 or ASW-22. Shame these beautifully ladies of the sky are not competitive with even the 21 meter birds. There is nothing like flying a 26.5 meter bird, they will stay in the sky on a breath of hot air. Their shape I find so much more alluring than the stubby wings of 21 meters or less.

Yep, those stubby wing 21m birds are pretty hard on the eyes ;-)

Craig
(Nimbus 3-24.5 6 psf min. wing loading)
Old November 24th 16, 09:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Wednesday, November 23, 2016 at 11:25:53 PM UTC+3, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Was looking over the entry sheet for WGC 2017. The open class seem dominated by 21 meter ships. Only two 23 meters (new generation open class) and four EB29. Nary a Nimbus 4 or ASW-22. Shame these beautifully ladies of the sky are not competitive with even the 21 meter birds. There is nothing like flying a 26.5 meter bird, they will stay in the sky on a breath of hot air. Their shape I find so much more alluring than the stubby wings of 21 meters or less.

As you allude, it depends on the conditions. The 25+ meter ships win easily if the lift is weaker than 1 knot. If you've got 2+ knots then 19m is superior, purely on polar, let alone manoeuvrability. And in stonking ridge or wave conditions 15m or less lets you have a higher Vne...
Old November 24th 16, 10:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Wedgwood[_2_]

On Thursday, November 24, 2016 at 10:07:51 AM UTC+1, Bruce Hoult wrote:
On Wednesday, November 23, 2016 at 11:25:53 PM UTC+3, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Was looking over the entry sheet for WGC 2017. The open class seem dominated by 21 meter ships. Only two 23 meters (new generation open class) and four EB29. Nary a Nimbus 4 or ASW-22. Shame these beautifully ladies of the sky are not competitive with even the 21 meter birds. There is nothing like flying a 26.5 meter bird, they will stay in the sky on a breath of hot air. Their shape I find so much more alluring than the stubby wings of 21 meters or less.

As you allude, it depends on the conditions. The 25+ meter ships win easily if the lift is weaker than 1 knot. If you've got 2+ knots then 19m is superior, purely on polar, let alone manoeuvrability. And in stonking ridge or wave conditions 15m or less lets you have a higher Vne...

Not just Vne, the 15m polar at high speed is much better than the Open ships.
Old November 24th 16, 12:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Iain Baker

The evening session at the OSTIV Congress in Benalla on 11 January is
titled "Future of the Open Class" with Loek Boermans, Tilo Holighaus,
Attie Jonker, Axel Lange, Gerhard Waibel...

Old November 24th 16, 01:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Per Carlin

Not just Vne, the 15m polar at high speed is much better than the Open ships.

Are you shure about that? The modern Open class ships has the same wing load or even a little higher than most of the competitive 15m gliders. If you then add up that a high (Open) aspect ratio of the wing climbs better than a lower (15m) at the same wing load give us that an Open class ship will climb better and glide equally.
Old November 24th 16, 02:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I would say that the extra wetted surface becomes a handicap at higher velocities. The influence of induced drag decreases with increasing velocity,and that's where the aspect ratio is a factor.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lift-i...f_induced_drag

Read L as m*g. It is constant.
Old November 24th 16, 04:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

With all due respect, I disagree. I remember flying a Region 12 race up the Sierra's, I was beating the pants off an ASH-25 and a Nimbus 3 with my current generation standard class glider, until we had a long glide from the switch backs to the Inyo Mountains (call it a 15 mile glide to another mountain range). The open class gliders arrived on top the mountains and just kept going while the stubbies arrived â…“ of the way from the top of the range and had to climb up for the good lift. When I finished the task the opens were tied down and the pilots had long left the airfield. I never had the time to fly another contest, but I did get a Nimbus 4 and flew that for about 500 hours before having the sport for 13-15 years. Wish I had never sold that Nimbus. Historically the open class even while flying the same task as stubbies at Uvalde will still fly faster at 9.8 pounds that the 15/18 at 11.7 pounds. Think no turns, or very few. One can really effectively dolphin fly with an open bird. The master of this is Ron Tabery. I have seen a trace of his from a 250ish km flight at Ulvade where Ron had ONE turn on course.
And of course the Grandeur of the open class, they are just the most beautiful gliders with their long wings. Well, I am sure the JS-1-21 is a nice glider, but 21 meter is too fook'n short!!! I thought S-H and lange were on to something with the Quintus (only 14 made out of production now) and the Antares 23. There is only one each of the above two gliders listed for WGC2017.