HK36, G109 or E17 touring motor gliders soaring performances

Old June 1st 04, 03:56 PM
PRG55

Default HK36, G109 or E17 touring motor gliders soaring performances

I use to fly on the SF28 for a few years and would like to buy a 2
seats touring motor glider as the Dimona HK36, Grob 109 or the Taifun
E17.
I'm a bit concerned by poor soaring performances reported by
occasional flyers or good performances reported by the vendors!!
Who could report on owner soaring experience of this type of
motogliders?
Thanks a lot
Old June 1st 04, 04:37 PM
plasticguy

"PRG55" wrote in message
om...
I use to fly on the SF28 for a few years and would like to buy a 2
seats touring motor glider as the Dimona HK36, Grob 109 or the Taifun
E17.
I'm a bit concerned by poor soaring performances reported by
occasional flyers or good performances reported by the vendors!!
Who could report on owner soaring experience of this type of
motogliders?
Thanks a lot

You might look at the VANS AIRCRAFT page and read the stuff on the RV11.
This is his motorglider project. There is a nicely written page on
configuration, soarability
ans l/d, sink rates and so on.
http://www.vansaircraft.com/public/rv-11int.htm

Hope that helps....

Scott

Old June 6th 04, 08:44 PM
R. Wubben

Has anyone seen or heard any soaring report on the SONEX (or WAIEX)
motorglider project?

Ryan Wubben
Madison, WI
Old June 8th 04, 05:44 AM
Martin Hellman

(PRG55) wrote in message . com...
I use to fly on the SF28 for a few years and would like to buy a 2
seats touring motor glider as the Dimona HK36, Grob 109 or the Taifun
E17.
I'm a bit concerned by poor soaring performances reported by
occasional flyers or good performances reported by the vendors!!
Who could report on owner soaring experience of this type of
motogliders? Thanks a lot.

I owned a Super Dimona (now called Katana Xtreme) from 1995-98 and
loved it. A pilot who used to score highly in standard class racing
asked basically the same question you do: How can it soar reasonably
with all that parasitic drag from the prop (even feathered) and gear?
He got my name from a mutual friend and I agreed to take him up for a
flight out of Minden -- he since has become a great friend as well.
His remark at the end: "You've just cost me a lot of money." He
actually ended up buying a Grob 109B, but performance is similar and
the Grob was available for somewhat less, since it had been around
longer and there were older ones available.

Another comment he made on the flight we did that day: "I couldn't
have done that flight in my standard class ship." And, actually, no
pure glider could have done it. Of course, we used the engine
judiciously to get through sink holes or to make it to cloud streets
that were a bit far for any glider.

That said, the ships you describe are not for every one. If you're a
purist and can't stand the noise of an engine even for 5-10 minutes
out of an hour, or see motor gliders as "cheating", then look
elsewhere. I think a common problem is to assume that every one should
love the same thing. There are many variations to soaring, with motor
gliders being one.

The ships you describe will be great for local soaring with no engine
time (in good conditions), and can do excellent cross country with the
best of the pure gliders, provided you're willing to use the engine
for 5-10 minutes each hour. If you try flying it like a pure glider on
cross country, you'll get nowhere. I know. I tried it at first.

Another plus to the motor gliders you describe are their ability to go
places under power. I live a five hour drive from Minden, but could
get there in 90 minutes in the SD. The first time I did a one day
soaring trip to the Minden area (three hours round trip + three hours
of great soaring), I came home and told my wife, "I didn't realize
that I live in the mountains." At least that's the net effect.
Similarly, I swore off safaris with pure gliders. They can't move
rapidly when the weather changes due to their ground crews. And, if
the wx gets really bad, they can trailer to the next stop, whereas I
couldn't. But safaris with other motor gliders are great.

If you're in doubt as to whether you'd like a particular ship, I'd
suggest becoming an ASA (Auxiliary Powered Sailplane Assn) member and
calling the members who own that ship -- you'll get a membership
directory with that info. I spent many hours on the phone that way
before buying my Super Dimona and it was really helpful. You may even
luck out as my friend did and find someone willing to take you up to
see what it's like.

Hoping this helps.

Martin