IDs Please

Old August 17th 07, 11:07 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Dingo[_2_]

Default IDs Please

........ or perhaps, confirmation.

Apart from C-130s, I rarely see/hear any other 4 prop a/c here in N.Suffolk
so dashed outside yesterday at the sound of something which obviously wasn't
a Hercules and saw the attached. It wasn't that close and the photo shows
more than I saw by eye.

First thought it was a DC 7 .... but I haven't seen/heard one of those in
probably 50 years. But even so, and given the state of my memory, DC7s etc
didn't have this sort of engine sound. I can only say that some of our local
tractors sound sweeter than this kite which I think was an Ilyushin IL 18.

Is I right or is I wrong ? ...... and whilst I'm here can any of you chaps
put an ID on the other a/c here ? Sent to me by a friend who thinks it might
be Italian. I'm not so sure, but ..........

Many thanks,
~~
Dingo ;-)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4PROP.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	16364  Click image for larger version

Name:	dunno2.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	16365
Old August 17th 07, 02:09 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Adhominem

Dingo wrote:

First thought it was a DC 7 .... but I haven't seen/heard one of those in
probably 50 years. But even so, and given the state of my memory, DC7s etc
didn't have this sort of engine sound. I can only say that some of our
local tractors sound sweeter than this kite which I think was an Ilyushin
IL 18.

Unlikely, since I guess you are describing the sound of piston engines, and
the Il-18 is powered by turboprops. From the picture, it also looks rather
like radials, but it's awfully hard to tell. Given the shape of the
tailplane, a DC-6/7 is not that unlikely.

and whilst I'm here can any of you chaps
put an ID on the other a/c here ? Sent to me by a friend who thinks it
might be Italian. I'm not so sure, but ..........

Looks like an ekranoplan. Italian is unlikely, the flag visible on the tail
has horizontal stripes. It could be the German flag. The Germans developed,
built and tested the first Western ekranoplan, the RFB X-113, on Lake
Constance in the seventies. For comparison, see this shot:

http://tinyurl.com/24onan

Ad.

--
The mail address works, but please notify me via usenet of any mail you send
to it, as it has a retention period of just a few hours.
Old August 17th 07, 02:57 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Guy

Vikers Viscount?

Old August 17th 07, 03:10 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
®i©ardo

Guy wrote:
Vikers Viscount?

No way. the Viscount has a dihedral to the tailplane, plus the much
slimmer Rolls Royce Dart engines.

What a joyful aircraft that was.

http://www.vickersviscount.net/
--
Moving things in still pictures!
Old August 17th 07, 03:13 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Dingo[_2_]

"Guy" wrote in message
Vikers Viscount?

Nooo, nooo, definitely not, Guy.
~~
Dingo ;-)

Old August 17th 07, 03:15 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Dingo[_2_]

"Adhominem" wrote in message
Dingo wrote:

[...]

Thank you Ad, the RFB X-113 certainly appears to answer the query I had from
my friend.

As regards my main query, the IL 18 / DC6/7 ..... I am 99% certain the a/c I
saw was piston engined rather than a turbo prop. It is just a pity it was
too far away to get a better photo. The chances of seeing either aircraft
here is remote so unless another UK poster has also seen this kite in our
skies recently, I'll just have to wait and hope it comes back.

Many thanks, Ad
~~
Dingo ;-)

Old August 17th 07, 05:15 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Bob Moore

Al G wrote
DC-6, a DC-7 with 3 bladed props. P&W 3350's instead of 4360's

DC-6s were powered by P&W R-2800 Double Wasps. 118' wingspan.
DC-7s were powered by Wright R-3350s. 128' wingspan.

Bob Moore
Old August 17th 07, 06:56 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Dingo[_2_]

Default IDs Please [solved]

While thanking all for your comments, I've sussed the answer to my query.
The a/c in question is DC 6 reg G-APSA belonging to Air Atlantique/
Atlantic Airlines based out of Coventry, UK.

More info (and better photos)
@
http://www.ruudleeuw.com/dc6.htm
http://www.ruudleeuw.com/others-robson.htm
~~
Dingo
~~~~~~~~~~~

Old August 17th 07, 09:15 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Al G[_1_]

"Bob Moore" wrote in message
46.128...
Al G wrote
DC-6, a DC-7 with 3 bladed props. P&W 3350's instead of 4360's

DC-6s were powered by P&W R-2800 Double Wasps. 118' wingspan.
DC-7s were powered by Wright R-3350s. 128' wingspan.

Bob Moore

Thanks Bob, I was off by a generation...

It was a DC-6 wasn't it?

Al G