You Started It; I Finished It

Old October 20th 03, 05:20 AM
Larry Smith

Default You Started It; I Finished It

I'm repairing a set of aluminum flaps with some cracks around the rivets on
the trailing edge. Take a look at the flap trailing edge of a later model
172 and you will see a neat 3-layer sandwich. The older 172's did not have
this feature, a thick beaded stiffener in the middle which stiffens and
strengthens the flap's trailing edge. The two outer layers of aluminum, top
and bottom, are the corrugated skins. In
the middle of the sandwich, between the two corrugated skins, is a 1/8"
thick aluminum extrusion about a half inch wide with a round bead protruding
from the extreme trailing edge.

So we bought some of this beaded extrusion and are riveting it into our
flaps. And yes, it's PMA'd. Google McFarlane Aviation and flap bulb.
The problem is this: how do you duplicate the
rivet holes in the extrusion without wallowing out the holes already
factory-drilled in the .032" aluminum skins? A strap duplicator is
impractical and so is a center finder. The fit of the extrusion inside the
skins is too
tight to use a strap duplicator and the skins are too thin to use a center
punch.

I was looking around in the RV groups for a little guidance but didn't find
anything much, other than a neat article by John Ammeter about riveting in
tight places.

[Later] No problem. A friend came through with a spotting punch. It has
a tiny little prick reminding me of Janu...., well no, I won't go there.

Now a thing or two on the subject of RAH. Don't let the trolls take over
here. People like Janulewicz and Morgans who do not build and only care to
disrupt and screech and stink the place up like the yahoos in Gulliver's
Travels and exhibit their stunted pudenda. Call their hands when they try
to take the floor or screech for attention. This forum can be an excellent
resource for young builders coming along with their projects, and many of us
can learn from each other. Don't let them distract from the subject or
publish bogus legal advice or whine about their backaches or their morphine
addictions or their deviant appetite for fudgepacker lubes. Stick to the
subject of homebuilding aircraft. I'll try to stick with it too.

Old October 20th 03, 10:52 AM
Ken Sandyeggo

"Larry Smith" wrote in message ...
[...]

Is this delusional ass-wipe for real!!?? Did I just read what I
thought I did? He's bi-polar and schizo too. This is too much.
Pecker-head, you need to have your meds upped. You're really
loony....and sad and pathetic!! Do you really believe that anyone is
remotely interested in your screwing up a set of 172 flaps? So you're
going to ignore my questions and let everyone know that you're a liar?
It's exactly what I expected from a punk like you. You're a sick
puppy. The only 3-layer sandwich you're familiar with is the one with
Buster on one side, Bubba on the other and you in the middle. "Those
that do not build?" What have you built? Nada.
Old October 20th 03, 01:02 PM
Yosimite Sam

"Ken Sandyeggo" wrote in message

Is this delusional ass-wipe for real!!?? Did I just read what I
thought I did? He's bi-polar and schizo too. This is too much.
Pecker-head, you need to have your meds upped. You're really
loony....and sad and pathetic!! Do you really believe that anyone is
remotely interested in your screwing up a set of 172 flaps? So you're
going to ignore my questions and let everyone know that you're a liar?
It's exactly what I expected from a punk like you. You're a sick
puppy. The only 3-layer sandwich you're familiar with is the one with
Buster on one side, Bubba on the other and you in the middle. "Those
that do not build?" What have you built? Nada.

Come-on Latchless, now is the time to shut Ken up for good!!! We're all
wanting to see the pictures of your homebuilt...post the links here....hell
post the pictures here for all to see!!! I saw no problem with the
wheelpants, but I'd like to compare the workmanship to your project!!

--
Yosimite Sam

Old October 20th 03, 10:57 PM
wmbjk

"Larry Smith" wrote in message

Now a thing or two on the subject of RAH. Don't let the trolls take

over
here.

After criticizing the work of others, you've been challenged to show
some photos of your own work for comparison. Put up or shut up.

Wayne

Old October 21st 03, 05:22 AM

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 00:20:24 -0400, "Larry Smith"
wrote:

:Now a thing or two on the subject of RAH. Don't let the trolls take over
:here.

Wow. My irony meter just exploded.
Old October 21st 03, 06:05 AM
Ron Wanttaja

wrote:

:Now a thing or two on the subject of RAH. Don't let the trolls take over
:here.

Wow. My irony meter just exploded.

Use a Kevlariny meter next time. :-)

Ron Wanttaja