Nav lights/switching power supplies

Old November 4th 08, 06:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Nav lights/switching power supplies

Jim Weir..the articles in Kitplanes on subject didn't discuss noise
generation from the oscillator cycling output voltage to LEDs. Is
there a noise filter requirement to minimize disruption of radio
operation?
Old November 5th 08, 06:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
RST Engineering

It all depends on how you build it. And, in the end, remember that big long
12-letter word that we stencil onto a homebuilt aircraft.

Jim

--
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought
without accepting it."

Old November 5th 08, 10:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

wrote in message

Jim Weir..the articles in Kitplanes on subject didn't discuss noise
generation from the oscillator cycling output voltage to LEDs. *Is
there a noise filter requirement to minimize disruption of radio
operation?- Hide quoted text -

Jim,
Sorry, I didn't see "It all depends on how you build it" in the
"Design Notes" section of the last article. In the August issue of
Kitplanes you mention a linear regulator article as a resource--
"Sarangan Article"--but identified the complications of that system.
Sarangan, in his article, stated there are problems with noise
generation with switching power supplies and that is why he chose his
path. It seems, maybe, noise problems should have been at least
mentioned in your article. Another title possibility--"My
EXPERIMENTAL switching power supply".
Old November 6th 08, 05:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
RST Engineering

A. A magazine article is not a technical journal. Switching power supplies
CAN have noise. Linear power supplies CAN oscillate. There are no "Design
Notes" in ANY of my articles; you are expected to have at least a passing
knowledge of the art.

B. Sarangen said that there are problems with noise generation in switchers
and it is general knowledge in the electronics industry that this is so. I
didn't see in Mr. Sarangen's "Design Notes" how he tested a switcher in his
application and what his conclusions were with any conceivable permutation
of avionics. However, there are noise problems with ANYTHING that generates
a signal, all the way from any nav or com radio that was ever made, GPS,
Loran, and the whole spectrum of electronic devices.

C. As to putting "Experimental" in the title of the article, would you once
again tell me what magazine you saw the article in? Did that give you a
passing clue?

Jim

Old November 6th 08, 09:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Nov 6, 9:55*am, "RST Engineering" wrote:
[...]

A. Jim page 72 of the October issue of Kitplanes clearly states
"Design Notes". How long since you were diagnosed with Alzheimer's.
As far as a passing knowledge of electronics-that is why I asked the
original question. The last paragraph of the August issue of
Kitplanes, "Optics 101:We start the LED nav light series": "Stay
tuned. We may be able to do the landing light for less than a tenth
of the $500 those suckers were going for last year at Oshkosh." Are
we doing landing lights or nav lights? Implication is that this is a
buildable project. No errors in any of these articles...

B. You stated "there are noise problems with ANYTHING that generates
a signal", but earlier you answered "It all depends on how you build
it" to the original question: " Is there a noise filter requirement
to minimize disruption of radio operation?". Jim, which is it?
Both?

C. See A., above, you should really remember where you submit your
articles for publication. I'm embarassed for you.

More feedback. It seems easier for you to respond with a personal
attack than possibly admitting an oversight on your part or an
editor's and/or just answering the question.

Old November 7th 08, 04:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
RST Engineering

A. Jim page 72 of the October issue of Kitplanes clearly states
"Design Notes". How long since you were diagnosed with Alzheimer's.

Yes, idiot bird. There WERE design notes. All of them having to do with
the ELECTRONICS of the design; none of them having to do with EMI, thermal,
operational, and all the rest of the stuff you consider when you build
something for an aircraft.

As far as a passing knowledge of electronics-that is why I asked the
original question. The last paragraph of the August issue of
Kitplanes, "Optics 101:We start the LED nav light series": "Stay
tuned. We may be able to do the landing light for less than a tenth
of the $500 those suckers were going for last year at Oshkosh." Are
we doing landing lights or nav lights? Implication is that this is a
buildable project. No errors in any of these articles...

Talk about Alzheimers...long rambling discourse with no particular point...

B. You stated "there are noise problems with ANYTHING that generates
a signal", but earlier you answered "It all depends on how you build
it" to the original question: " Is there a noise filter requirement
to minimize disruption of radio operation?". Jim, which is it?
Both?

Both or neither. You evidently have never done any design involving EMI or
you wouldn't have asked such a sophomoric question. If you put sharp
risetime pulses down a 30 foot wire (antenna) and expect them not to have an
effect on close-by electronic devices, then you are a novice. If you put
the sharp pulses out at the end of a 15 foot metal wing, enclosed in a
copper shield box grounded to the center of the earth, filtered to a
fair-thee-well with all sorts of bypass and such, then you probably won't
even know that the pulses are there. The vast world of practical design
lies in the middle between these two.

C. See A., above, you should really remember where you submit your
articles for publication. I'm embarassed for you.

See my answer. If you don't get the irony of the answer, then I'm
embarassed for your lack of understanding.

More feedback. It seems easier for you to respond with a personal
attack than possibly admitting an oversight on your part or an
editor's and/or just answering the question.

No, and I refuse to continue a battle of wits with an unarmed man.
Discussion over.

Jim

Old November 7th 08, 05:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Nov 7, 8:17*am, "RST Engineering" wrote:
[...]

Any one that reads your last dissertation will see and probably agree
that you proved my points.

Adios.