Pilot Training Contract

Old December 28th 04, 01:27 AM
Bravo8500

Default Pilot Training Contract

I signed a training contract with a small 121 airline as first officer
(19 pax turbo prop). I left just before training was finished (after my
first round of IOE) because I felt the job was too stressful for me to
accomplish safely, and that's what I told them when I left. They want
to sue me now for breach of contract, saying I left voluntarily. I'm
thinking it's a conflict of interest for them to create financial
pressure on a pilot to remain in a position against his best judgment.
What if I couldn't afford to pay the money and stayed, and caused an
accident? I hope you don't mind this legal-type question. Any advice?
Bravo8500

Old December 28th 04, 01:38 AM
BTIZ

looks to me like you signed a contract.. for training which required x
number of months flying for the company after training was completed.. if
they felt you were unsafe.. they would have drummed you out... but you broke
the contract.. they provided training as agreed... you owe them $$ or time
on the stick... as most of those agreements state up front.

I'm not the lawyer.. but I don't think you have a wing and a prayer to get
out of paying the fee.. and if they end up taking you to court.. they may
also get the legal fees added on.

Bottom line, you did leave voluntarily, they did not force you out.

BT

oups.com...

Old December 28th 04, 02:00 AM
Bravo8500

How much would you guess legal fees would be if I lose - the contract
provides that they can sue for them.

Old December 28th 04, 02:35 AM
Morgans

"Bravo8500" wrote in message
oups.com...
How much would you guess legal fees would be if I lose - the contract
provides that they can sue for them.

Would you lose? Are you kidding me? Read the writing on the wall. You
WILL lose. They have people do what you are doing, although for different
reasons than yours, and are very good at winning these type of court cases.
Pay up, or work on, your choice, but to take the chance of having to pay
legal fees on top is senseless.

--
Jim in NC

Old December 28th 04, 02:53 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Bravo8500 wrote:

How much would you guess legal fees would be if I lose - the contract
provides that they can sue for them.

The last time I considered going to court to defend a lawsuit, my attorney told
me his fees would be around $3,000. The actual cost of filing in New Jersey is
$50. If it actually goes to court, there will be court costs at several hundred
dollars per hour. So, if they have two attorneys and the case takes a couple
days in court, you're over $10,000 in legal costs. Plus your own lawyer's fees.

Your mileage *will* vary.

George Patterson
The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise.
Old December 28th 04, 03:11 AM
BTIZ

if you loose??

If I were a betting man.. I would say you WILL loose..

it would be better to complete the training.. work the required servitude
off.. and then quit..

they are protecting their investment.. that you get training.. and then go
work for someone else..

that is the standard contract around here.. with two small "commuter" Ditch
Running airlines..

They provide training, type certificates.. and you fly for them for a year..
or pay them $5000 (was the last going rate)

BT

oups.com...

Old December 28th 04, 03:27 AM
569

You might be stuck, but I'd call the AOPA Legal Services and ask
around. If you honestly saw some violations of FAR, you should report
them. This is a tricky subject. What if you were flying as a captain
and didn't want to fly a leg due to weather or any other issue, but
dispatch insisted the flight was safe. You are PIC, but they pay your
check. I am sure many people have died flying because of pressures
from the employer. You made the right choice.

Old December 28th 04, 04:18 AM
Bravo8500

Just go to any small airlines website and look at hiring requirements.
Most are 1500 total and 100 multi I think. Apply, and they'll have you
sign a wonderful training contract.

Old December 28th 04, 05:38 AM
BTIZ

Scenic Airlines, Vision Airlines, Air Vegas (closed?) all at KVGT, Las Vegas
NV
Flying Twin Otters, Beech 99s, etc..

BT

"BTIZ" wrote in message
if you loose??

If I were a betting man.. I would say you WILL loose..

it would be better to complete the training.. work the required servitude
off.. and then quit..

they are protecting their investment.. that you get training.. and then
go work for someone else..

that is the standard contract around here.. with two small "commuter"
Ditch Running airlines..

They provide training, type certificates.. and you fly for them for a
year.. or pay them $5000 (was the last going rate)

BT

oups.com...