Jay's "Plane Crash Video Ubersite"

Old August 11th 06, 08:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Duniho

Default Jay's "Plane Crash Video Ubersite"

I had to laugh. Jay's aviation video web site is famous now (well,
about as famous as you can get on the Internet), except that it's being
touted as specifically a web site for aviation crashes.

http://www.boingboing.net/2006/08/10..._video_ub.html

But they do say, there's no such thing as bad publicity. Right? And
besides, I guess there ARE a lot of crashes there. All in the name of pilot
education, last I heard.

Old August 11th 06, 03:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

I had to laugh. Jay's aviation video web site is famous now (well,
about as famous as you can get on the Internet), except that it's being
touted as specifically a web site for aviation crashes.

http://www.boingboing.net/2006/08/10..._video_ub.html

But they do say, there's no such thing as bad publicity. Right? And
besides, I guess there ARE a lot of crashes there. All in the name of pilot
education, last I heard. :

Interesting. Sadly, I haven't had a lick of time since early July to
update the site -- and I'm getting letters of concern from all over the
world! This little side page has exploded into (what could be) a
full-time job, and regular visitors are truly upset that I haven't
posted an update in almost a month. Be careful what you start doing in
your "spare" time...

But the videos keep coming, whether I upload 'em or not. I've probably
got 30 new ones sitting on my PC, for the time when I get a few hours
to upload 'em.

I've worked hard to keep it from becoming a "train wreck" site, adding
as many NTSB links and intelligent commentary as possible. Most people
appreciate the effort -- but some, like the guy who has "discovered" us
-- apparently only go there for the thrill.

Too bad.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 11th 06, 09:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Crashman

Default Jay's

Well, the wonders of Google... Yes, I am "the guy" who submitted that item
to BoingBoing yesterday, a pilot since 1974 and a contributor of several
of the vids that Jay so generously hosts. Please- what could I say about
his page except that it's just FULL of great crashes? "Great aviation
media page" lacks fire and distinction. And now I know to hold up on the 4
new vids I have here for Jay (did you know you were a "hotelier/pilot"?),
cos' he's still busy remodelling!

We all grapple with the train wreck aspect of these things; crashes and
mishaps are mysterious, tragic, educational, awesome, terrible, and yes,
fascinating. Jay's done a great job of handling this on the page, but I
too have to laugh - puts up a page with all those crashes and then people
who love it are revolting morbid thrill-seekers? LOL. OK, guilty as
charged! And making music videos out of them strung together is carrying
it a bit far, and may indeed be a sign of need for professional help... .

I'd put it this way: of course we all like best the ones where only the
airplane gets bent and everyone walks away with great hangar stories. But
our avocation isn't like golf; we gamble everything every time we aviate.
I think we are fascinated by accident videos for the same reason that none
of us can ever resist watching someone else land. "There but for the grace
of God.."

Jay is not at all morbid and his page is the best of its kind out there, I
think mostly because Jay and Mary are real aviators. And no, there is no
such thing as bad publicity, not on the Net anyway. I hope! He deserves to
be famous because he has built something uniquely great, as he does when he
writes articles, givs interviews, sponsors community and charity and kids'
events. Yes, it would be almost worthless without the great informed
commentary, but with it - Kaaa-zocko!

So please take the little publicity bump as a sincere tribute Jay, Boing^2
gets about a million hits a day. You have made a fantastic resource here
that deserves a little more recognition outside of the Net aviation
community. Hope it puts some more bods (breathing ones!)in your suites,
pal.

- Crashman

PS: Check out this new place guys, it has some very nice new French
maneuvering and is clearly set up to attract all us horrible morbid
flying-trainwreck ghouls:
http://www.1001crash.com/index-page-accueil-lg-2.html

It's simple. Like my old instructor said, "Just don't crash and you'll be
fine."

Old August 12th 06, 07:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Duniho

"Crashman" wrote in message
news:b123c4eb08ffa592cabed8c56217188f@aviatorlive. com...
[...] Please- what could I say about
his page except that it's just FULL of great crashes?

There's lots you could say other than that, especially since there's plenty
there besides crashes. What an odd question.

Old August 12th 06, 10:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin Hotze[_1_]

On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 15:02:50 -0500, Crashman wrote:

Well, the wonders of Google... Yes, I am "the guy" who submitted that item
to BoingBoing yesterday, a pilot since 1974 and a contributor of several
of the vids that Jay so generously hosts.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

IIRC he has more or less free hosting on Jav's server(s).

#m
--
Did you ever realize how much text fits in eighty columns? If you now consider
that a signature usually consists of up to four lines, this gives you enough
Old August 12th 06, 12:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article ,
Martin Hotze wrote:

Well, the wonders of Google... Yes, I am "the guy" who submitted that item
to BoingBoing yesterday, a pilot since 1974 and a contributor of several
of the vids that Jay so generously hosts.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

IIRC he has more or less free hosting on Jav's server(s).

Which may explain why Jay can be so generous. :-)

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old August 12th 06, 03:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

IIRC he has more or less free hosting on Jav's server(s).

Which may explain why Jay can be so generous. :-)

Absolutely!

This group's own Jav Henderson deserves (and always receives, when I'm
around) credit for hosting our website, in all its glory. I would put
accreditation on the site for Jav, but I'm afraid he'd be swamped with
requests from people looking for web hosting service -- and I know he's
got better things to do with his time...

I donate my time to the video page -- Jav donates the bandwidth.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 12th 06, 06:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BassPilot

"Peter Duniho" wrote in
:

http://www.boingboing.net/2006/08/10..._video_ub.html

The publicity has grown a little beyond Boing Boing. A link to a short
article about the site turned up on my Google homepage this morning under
the cNet News.com category. Here's the page with the article:
http://tinyurl.com/lm4c8.

Hope your bandwidth holds up, Jay!

Steve DeMoss
N16071
Old August 12th 06, 06:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin Hotze[_1_]

On 12 Aug 2006 09:21:21 -0700, Jay Honeck wrote:

Wow -- thanks for the recommendation, Crash...I think. All of a
sudden, I'm getting complaints from all over the world about how "slow"
the site is.

ahh! /.ed ... sort of. :-)

And this after Jav spent untold hours updating his
servers to handle the volume, too!

maybe now it is the bandwidth he has available and not the server itself.

#m