Disney Video "Boy Who Flew With the Condors" - Now Available!

Old June 24th 08, 05:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ContestID67

Default Disney Video "Boy Who Flew With the Condors" - Now Available!

Like many of you, I have been searching for several years for this
particular sailplane related video. I set up a recurring search in
eBay about a year ago to help in the search and just recently it began
to bear fruit.

Several copies per week of the movie seem have now begun showing up on
eBay starting about a month ago. I just got the winning bid on a copy
for $28. Most are marked "Disney Video Club". Don't everyone bid
all at once and drive up the price...there seems to be more where
these came from. One current eBay listing is a "buy it now" for $38
(with shipping).

NOTE: A search on the Internet and the Disney movie web site does not
show that this video is currently available, even on the official
Disney video web site. I honestly don't know the source for these
videos.

In case you have never heard of this made for TV movie, below are some
details. Does anyone have details on the people involved in the
video; Christopher Jury, Margaret Birsner, Fred W. Harris and/or
Milton O. Thompson? I'd like to hear more.

Enjoy, John "67" DeRosa

======================================

The Boy Who Flew With Condors is the true-life adventure of a teenager
who goes from admiring the endangered condors' flight to flying with
them. Inspired by a sailplane instructor, a NASA test pilot and a
budding glider pilot, he risks everything for airborne thrills,
including navigating a dangerous storm. Find out his fate in an
exciting story sure to bring out the spirit of adventure in the entire
family!

==========================

http://www.disneyvideos.go.com/movie...20Condors.html

Chris Jury is a California teenager who loves to spend time watching
the graceful flights of the California condor, an endangered species.
One day his bird-watching is interrupted by the arrival of a sailplane
piloted by a woman who is attempting to earn an award for distance
gliding. Soon he is an avid pilot himself.

Cast:
As Himself: Christopher Jury
Glider Pilot: Margaret Birsner
Sailplane Instructor: Fred W. Harris
NASA Test Pilot: Milton O. Thompson

=====================================
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0561253/

"Wonderful World of Disney" - Original Air Date:19 February 1967
(Season 13, Episode 20)

Turning Point in Sport Aviation - The Boy Who Flew with the Condors
was a turning point in sport aviation. It started a life long love
affair for me and sailplanes. Like in the move I achieved a Silver,
Gold and one Diamond for flying sailplanes. The Soaring Society of
America more than doubled its membership and commercial sailplane
operations throughout America blossomed. I was in Jr. High and I work
for a solid year packing groceries, delivering newspapers and every
odd job I could do so I could go fly sailplanes. I did without a car
and road a bike so I could fly. It is still my love and passion. All
because of this one little hour on Disney. The Boy Who Flew with
Condors was pivotal in my life and several of my friends lives.

Old June 24th 08, 05:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ContestID67

I thought I had a scoop but I guess I didn't. I see now that my
friend Paul Remde has some copies for sale on his web site. Let's
support our own.

I had searched RAS for this topic before posting. I wonder why it
wasn't found. I guess I was the one that got scooped. Oh well.

My question still stands, "Does anyone have details on the people
Old June 25th 08, 06:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roger Worden

I work for Disney and called a friend in the division that sells the DVDs,
hoping to get an inside track to buy it without joining the Disney Movie
Club. So far no luck... seems to be exclusive to the Club at this time.