Air America breaking news: "USA to fingerprint ALL visitors !!!"

Old April 3rd 04, 06:56 AM
Dave Kearton

Default Air America breaking news: "USA to fingerprint ALL visitors !!!"

"Oelewapper" wrote in message
| Dear allies, welcome to the age of digital fascism... :
|
| Millions of visitors from some of the United States' closest allies soon
| will have to be fingerprinted and photographed before entering the
country,

snip - "the sky is falling, the sky is falling"

So - your point is ?

I must have spent an accumulated total of 2 hours over the last 5 years,
when travelling through Asia, with the local immigration apes trying to
work out if it was me or some other white man travelling on my passport.

I asked one in KL what the problem was and he told me as tactfullty and as
politely as he could, that we all look the same.

Fingerprinting and photographing should only take another couple of minutes
and could even speed up the process (maybe !!)

Think of an alternative, how long would it take to stand in line and work
up a DNA sample ?

The US is on the list of countries that I'll be visiting in the next couple
of years; why don't you look out for me Oelewapper - I'll be showing my
finger - just for you.

Cheers

Dave Kearton

Old April 3rd 04, 09:00 AM
Phil Richards

On Sat, 3 Apr 2004 07:27:28 +0200 Oelewapper said...

The expansion, which will take effect by Sept. 30, means only diplomats and
travelers from Mexico and Canada will not be fingerprinted and photographed
when they enter the United States through 115 airports and 14 seaports, said
Asa Hutchinson, undersecretary for border and transportation security at the
Department of Homeland Security. ...

So presumably the easiest way to get in to the US without these stupid
fingerprint and photograph checks is to say fly in to Canada and cross
over the border by road....

--
Phil Richards
London

Old April 3rd 04, 09:09 AM
Thomas Peel

Oelewapper schrieb:

snip

The expansion, which will take effect by Sept. 30, means only diplomats and
travelers from Mexico and Canada will not be fingerprinted and photographed
when they enter the United States

Don't these countries make up the majority of people entering the US?
Old April 3rd 04, 10:03 AM
nobody760

So the message is visiting the USA is more trouble than its worth so I'll go
some place else.

Old April 3rd 04, 11:31 AM
jboy

And the American's wonder why US airlines are going broke? This looks like
the final nail in the coffin for UA and AA. When will George ever wake up
and realise he's not John Wayne..
"Oelewapper" wrote in message
Dear allies, welcome to the age of digital fascism... :

Millions of visitors from some of the United States' closest allies soon
will have to be fingerprinted and photographed before entering the

country,
U.S. officials said yesterday. Officials said the requirements of the

U.S.
VISIT program will be expanded this fall to cover about 13 million

travelers
each year from 27 countries, including Australia, Britain and Japan, whose
citizens are allowed to travel within the United States for as many as 90
days without a visa. The program -- an effort to track down criminals,
suspected terrorists and travelers who overstay visas -- began Jan. 5 and
now applies mainly to about 19 million visitors each year from Central and
South America, Africa and Asia.

The expansion, which will take effect by Sept. 30, means only diplomats

and
travelers from Mexico and Canada will not be fingerprinted and

photographed
when they enter the United States through 115 airports and 14 seaports,

said
Asa Hutchinson, undersecretary for border and transportation security at

the
Department of Homeland Security. ...

Here is a list of the 27 countries in the Visa Waiver Program whose

citizens
will have to be photographed and fingerprinted on arrival in the United
States under a new program announced today.

Andorra
Austria
AUSTRALIA
Belgium
Brunei
Denmark
Finland
France
Germany
Iceland
Ireland
Italy
Japan
Liechtenstein
Luxembourg
Monaco
Netherlands
New Zealand
Norway
PORTUGAL
San Marino
Singapore
Slovenia
SPAIN
Sweden
Switzerland
UNITED KINGDOM

U.S. Will Fingerprint 13 Million More in Fall - Visitors From Close Allies
To Be Photographed, Too - By Christopher Lee and Sara Kehaulani Goo -
Washington Post Staff Writers - Saturday, April 3, 2004; Page A01

-----
Air America: The greatest CIA-operation ever !!!

Old April 3rd 04, 02:55 PM
Quantum Foam Guy

"Oelewapper" wrote in message
Dear allies, welcome to the age of digital fascism... :

This is not "fascism", unless you're one of those morons who thinks dealing
with the DMV and getting fingerprinted for a driver's license is "fascism".
When you lace your writing with such stupid hyperbole, you've lost your
credibility.

You're also mistaken if you think this will be limited to the US. Wealthy
democracies will all be implementing these very same procedures. If you
doubt me, wait and see what happens after the next round of terrorist
attacks.

Old April 3rd 04, 02:57 PM
Chad Irby

In article ,
"nobody760" wrote:

So the message is visiting the USA is more trouble than its worth so I'll go
some place else.

Yeah, that two minute fingerprinting and photo is *sooo* hard after a
six-hour plane flight...

....and even with that, it's still going to be faster than most customs
checks in 99% of the countries in the world.

cirby at cfl.rr.com

Slam on brakes accordingly.
Old April 3rd 04, 03:09 PM
Sjoerd

"Chad Irby" schreef in bericht
. com...
In article ,
"nobody760" wrote:

So the message is visiting the USA is more trouble than its worth so

I'll go
some place else.

Yeah, that two minute fingerprinting and photo is *sooo* hard after a
six-hour plane flight...

...and even with that, it's still going to be faster than most customs
checks in 99% of the countries in the world.

That's not true. US immigration queues are amongst the longest in the world.

Sjoerd

Old April 3rd 04, 03:13 PM
Marie Lewis

"Chad Irby" wrote in message
. com...
In article ,
"nobody760" wrote:

So the message is visiting the USA is more trouble than its worth so

I'll go
some place else.

Yeah, that two minute fingerprinting and photo is *sooo* hard after a
six-hour plane flight...

...and even with that, it's still going to be faster than most customs
checks in 99% of the countries in the world.

You know this as a fact, do you?

Please note that we all have the rest of the world to visit. Why visit a
country which treats us as criminals?

Old April 3rd 04, 03:19 PM
Marie Lewis

"Quantum Foam Guy" wrote in message
"Oelewapper" wrote in message
Dear allies, welcome to the age of digital fascism... :

This is not "fascism", unless you're one of those morons who thinks

dealing
with the DMV and getting fingerprinted for a driver's license is

"fascism".
When you lace your writing with such stupid hyperbole, you've lost your
credibility.

Please note that fingerprinting is not nearly as common in, for example, the
UK, as in the USA.
Here, you have to be suspected of a crime to be foingerprinted, and if you
are innocent, those prints are destroyed.

You're also mistaken if you think this will be limited to the US. Wealthy
democracies will all be implementing these very same procedures. If you
doubt me, wait and see what happens after the next round of terrorist
attacks.

We have had many, many terrorist attacks in the UK (many financed by the
USA) and have never founnd this necessary or useful. I am 67 and have never
had my finger prints taken.
If the present government were to introduce it, then, in spite of being a
life long member opf the Labour party, at elections I would vote against
them. It matters that much.

So, I doubt you. Other countries are not so

Millions of visitors from some of the United States' closest allies soon
will have to be fingerprinted and photographed before entering the

country,
U.S. officials said yesterday.

There won't be as many millions in future.