Garmin 330

Old April 25th 04, 05:38 PM
jetflow

I want to massage and display TIS-B on my own EFIS but garmin refuses to release
details about comm. protocol and data format. Does anyboy know what
exactly is coming out of 330 ? RS-232/NMEA or encrypted chinese ? Did
anybody see it ?
Old April 26th 04, 06:21 PM
Dave

"Dan Thompson" wrote in message . com...
Every once in a while, right after take off I get a traffic alert at my
exact location and altitude, that I assume is my own plane. I think the
system gets a little confused as to what is what. Have you experienced
that?

this is a known issue, and as others have said, it's happening on the
ground - not on the 330.
Old April 26th 04, 06:28 PM
John Harper

I have another problem with the 330 which has shown up recently.
The "oh my god there's someone at my altitude right HERE" alert
is something that you get used to, well kind of anyway, though
it's best not to explain what's going on to passengers.

Recently mine has started telling me about a phantom airplane
about two miles out, generally at around 9 or 3 o'clock, and 1500 feet
higher than me. This has happened a couple of times, both in places
where the radar coverage is probably not great - once near
Chiriaco Summit near PSP, the other time flying up the Marin
coast north of SFO. The first time I took it seriously, since I
was planning to climb in the same direction, but the target
moved around in an improbable way and then suddenly disappeared.
(I did see a big flock of geese, but although they may have
been squawking it probably wasn't Mode C...). Much the same happened the
second time. Of course it COULD have been real traffic that I
just never managed to see.

Anyone else see anything like this?

John

om...

Old April 26th 04, 06:45 PM
kage

Even the most expensive TCAS II systems with the latest software sometimes
have "ghost" images. There is still some work to be done in the software.

Karl