Dual Transponders?

Old December 4th 03, 10:12 PM
JerryK

I have dual transponders. Without a transponder you are restricted in the
altitudes you can fly and you have to make position reports. Both of these
restrictions can really be a major pain when flying high for any distance.

BTW, in case anyone is wondering, the transponders are wired such that only
one transponder is active at any one time. You set both transponders to
Mode C and your code into both. Another switch determines which transponder
is active. In my installation, the non-active transponder is is standby
mode.

jerry

"Scott Aron Bloom" wrote in message
Ok, Im not talking about the commercial carriers. But why would a general
aviation plane have dual transponders? Why waste the panel space? So

they
go
tits up that often in flight where its necessary?

Scott

Old December 5th 03, 06:10 AM
Jeff

So one is not really doing anything ..is it just left off untill the first
quits?

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

"Teacherjh" wrote in message

How does a second transponder fit in to the datastream? Aren't they both
transmitting the same data at the same time on the same frequencies? Wont

that
interefere with itself?

The second would only be used if ATC reported a problem with the first one.

Old December 5th 03, 07:02 AM
Brad Z

A faulty transponder COULD effectively ground the airplane. ATC can
authorize operations without a transponder, but there's no guarantee they
will.

My bad, "unless otherwise authorized" (AIM 3-2-4 (d)(2)(b)) the plane is
effectively grounded. I suppose the offending transponder would need to be
placarded "inop" as well.

Old December 5th 03, 10:45 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Jeff" wrote in message

So one is not really doing anything ..is it just left off untill the first
quits?

Yup.

Old December 5th 03, 09:03 PM
Peter

Why put it in the panel. I'm sure you could mount it between the seats.

"Venus" wrote in message
I dont know either, but when I was at the avionics shop picking up my

plane
recently, there was a pressureized C-210 they had just starteding working

and
let me peek inside. It had dual garmin 330 x-ponders, garmin 430,530 and

an
MX20, it also had some other nifty stuff like a flight navigator and so

on.

Old December 6th 03, 07:41 AM
Ditch

Scott Aron Bloom wrote:

Ok, Im not talking about the commercial carriers. But why would a

general
aviation plane have dual transponders? Why waste the panel space? So

they
go
tits up that often in flight where its necessary?

Scott

The Twin Otter I flew had dual X-ponders. But we were using it for skydiving
ops and if the X-ponder goes down, we can't operate as a jump plane. SOOoo..we
had two....even had to use the 2nd one on occasion. Also, we had the panel
space to spare, so it was no biggie.

-John
*You are nothing until you have flown a Douglas, Lockheed, Grumman or North
American*
Old December 6th 03, 04:19 PM
Bill & Penny

They make transponders that share one control panel. Some of our EMB-120's
have a dual transponder single control panel set up.

Bill
"

Old December 14th 03, 05:54 AM
John Roncallo

I'm shure if you have dual Garmins the rest of your pannel space becomes
empty. Garmines pack a lot of boxes in one box.

John Roncallo