Narco MK 12 D+

Old September 8th 08, 05:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Tri-Pacer

Default Narco MK 12 D+

I have a Narco MK-12D+ that has an intermittent connection in the display
assembly. At times the display will go dim---it never goes completely
out-----. Pressing lightly anywhere on the front panel returns it to normal
brilliance.

This pretty well isolates the problem to either the display itself or the
dimmer circuit.

My question is this. Is anyone familiar with the inner workings of the
MK-12D+. Is the display hard soldered in or is it on a subassembly that is
in some way socketed.

I have seen the innards of some of the older Narco stuff where they used a
lot of plugs, ribbon cable and sockets to connect subassemblies together.
If this is the case with the MK-12, I might luck out and just have a
connection problem. If it's all surface mount stuff then I guess I'm gonna
have to cough up some AMU's .

Cheers:

Paul
N1431A
KSDM

Old September 8th 08, 10:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ross

Tri-Pacer wrote:
[...]

I just bought a 12D+ when my 12D went belly up. Narco has been good at
factory repairs with me and not too bad on $$$. Both 12Ds and my audio
panel had to go back over the last several years. They were getting very
old.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Old October 4th 08, 02:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Spera

Tri-Pacer wrote:

[...]

Paul,

The 12D has a removable front face and the display plugs in. I have had
the original replaced and then that replacement was replaced under
warranty 2 weeks later when a part of it went dead.

Not sure about the 12D+ but I cannot believe it would be anything but
socketed in some way. If you press on the front face, you may also be
slightly pressing against the light sensor for the dimmer. That may be
the problem instead of the display. It is mounted to the internals of
the radio but it is real close or up against the face plate.

Depending on your skill level and sense of adventure, you can slide the
unit out, take off the front cover, slide it back in, and try pushing
things around. You remove the unit by first applying pressure to the
edge or corner of the face plate (enough to move the entire unit back
into its mounting case - I push on both the left and right face plate
edges simultaneously). Once back, you hold it there with one hand while
sliding in an 8 inch piece of straight coat hangar wire into each of the
2 holes in the face. Once they are about halfway in, you should be able
to wiggle the thing out. The coat hangars hold the release catches open.
But, you have to relieve the pressure on them or they likely won't
release.

A radio shop will likely charge you an hour or two labor to do the same
thing legally. Depending on your finances, letting them do it may make
sense.

Good Luck,
Mike

Narco AT-150 vs. AT-155 [email protected] Owning 1 November 14th 07 07:55 PM
FA Narco MK-12 Tri-Pacer Aviation Marketplace 0 March 11th 06 09:38 PM
Narco DME zatatime Aviation Marketplace 1 February 28th 05 12:07 PM
Narco DME zatatime General Aviation 0 October 14th 04 09:29 PM
Narco DGO-10 Michael Instrument Flight Rules 2 June 9th 04 11:41 PM