DJI Phantom drone flight over grid at 2013 Caesar Creek Contest

Old August 9th 13, 02:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean F (F2)

Default DJI Phantom drone flight over grid at 2013 Caesar Creek Contest

http://youtu.be/oK7L23FHU3s

Enjoy!

Sean
F2
Old August 10th 13, 02:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

That was cool. Amazingly stable video. Thanks for posting. Makes me really miss CCSC, though.

Now you need to teach it to fly formation with you! Oooh, the tactical possibilities...

Old August 10th 13, 04:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Nicholas[_2_]

Very good, and shows some of what this technology can achieve.

For enjoyable watching, however, I like the teddy bear best: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTDuGaTRiJU

Good look out before the aerobatics!

Chris N

Old August 10th 13, 05:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]

On Friday, August 9, 2013 6:11:19 AM UTC-7, Sean F (F2) wrote:
http://youtu.be/oK7L23FHU3s

Enjoy!

Sean

F2

Sean,

I have a Phantom w/ Hero3 and am researching which FPV equipment to get (for others, that's first person video with real time downlink, so you can see what the on board cam is seeing).

Were you using FPV, and if so, could you list the make/models? Also, are you using a gimbal? Guessing not, though at one point the camera view elevates maybe 20*. Any info appreciated.

bumper

Old August 11th 13, 04:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean F (F2)

Nah just stock hero3 and no gimble or fpv although I am going to ask my wife for this as an Xmas present!

I'll let u know what I go for.

Closer to a gimble however, the 300$ one seems best cost to performance. I'll get model name soon...
Old August 11th 13, 11:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Cool video!

Personally, I have never been comfortable when someone decides to fly an R/C aircraft over my glider ($150k) Having been an avid R/C enthusiast myself....I know they get out of control, lose signals and crash unexpectedly.

Your skill is impressive....but, one has to consider the "what if....?"

J4
Old August 11th 13, 02:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, August 11, 2013 5:07:16 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Cool video!

Personally, I have never been comfortable when someone decides to fly an R/C aircraft over my glider ($150k) Having been an avid R/C enthusiast myself....I know they get out of control, lose signals and crash unexpectedly.

Your skill is impressive....but, one has to consider the "what if....?"

J4

That's the beauty and the risk of these quadcopters, you can teach a 6 year old in 10 minutes to fly it. Heading lock alone is making it childsplay. If you stay behind the craft as Sean did in most of these shots (standing on an open golf cart) all you have to control is up-down and right-left. I agree that flying over gliders is not advised.
J7
Old August 11th 13, 05:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]

The DJI Phantom also has a "return home failsafe". If it has good GPS coverage it will remember "home point" and then automatically fly back home and land if it loses transmitter signal. This can also be initiated by the pilot.

Really pretty amazing technology. There have been failures and fly-aways, of course. Lose a motor and it's TU, so checking prop nuts is advisable.

bumper
Old August 11th 13, 10:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, August 9, 2013 9:11:19 AM UTC-4, Sean F (F2) wrote:
http://youtu.be/oK7L23FHU3s

Cool here's one of my local glider port with my FLIP FPV
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEXXP5NlN0Y
Old August 12th 13, 01:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JP Stewart

Did you ever get the video we took of the CCSC tour Sean? Also, some fun onboard aerobatics at New Castle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4NsbF5vXQ8

JP