wonders of VFR on top

Old October 22nd 04, 07:04 PM
Howard Nelson

"zatatime" wrote in message
On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 13:48:09 GMT, "Steven P. McNicoll"
wrote:

What are the lost comm procedures if the clearance limit isn't an
airport?

While VFR-on-top? Continue the flight under VFR and land as soon as
practicable.

What if you're unable like a deck below giving 1000' or less ceilings.
Do you then use the IFR lost comm procedures?

Since you're still on an IFR flight plan and need to adhere to IFR
rules, you shouldn't get hung out to dry if something goes wrong.

I remember learning about this, but forget.

I would only accept non airport clearance limit if I were essentially
guaranteed that I would be VFR to the ground within 10-15 min. flying range.

Howard

---

Old October 22nd 04, 07:19 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"zatatime" wrote in message

What are the lost comm procedures if the clearance limit isn't an
airport?

While VFR-on-top? Continue the flight under VFR and land as soon as
practicable.

What if you're unable like a deck below giving 1000' or less ceilings.
Do you then use the IFR lost comm procedures?

Of course. You are IFR, after all.

Old October 22nd 04, 07:21 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Howard Nelson" wrote in message
m...

I would only accept non airport clearance limit if I were essentially
guaranteed that I would be VFR to the ground within 10-15 min. flying
range.

What if you're IMC and ATC needs to hold you?

Old October 22nd 04, 07:34 PM
Robert M. Gary

"Howard Nelson" wrote in message .com...
"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message

Here on the California coast were stratus can force an IFR departure to
about 2000ft I ask for an "IFR departure for climb to VFR conditions" with a
clearance from my field to a VOR about 20NM away. Well before I am more than
5 miles from my departure I am above the fog and can cancel IFR and ask for
VFR flight following.
Howard
C182P

I've done the same. Unfortuntely he said he could not issue a
clearance unless it was to my dest. Perhaps I could have change my
dest to some place local but that would have seemed strange when
asking to climb from 2,000 feet to 5,000 feet. Perhaps it had
something to do with the class B in the area.

-Robert
Old October 22nd 04, 09:03 PM
Newps

Matt Whiting wrote:
Robert M. Gary wrote:

Newps wrote in message

If that happens again just ask for a local IFR clearance like you
were going to do practice approaches while IFR. As soon as you get
on top you cancel.

I told him I only needed the clearance for 10 miles until I got on
top. He said he still needed to wait for Oakland center unless I just
wanted a clearance to VFR-on-top.

He then issued me the typical to VFR-OT clearance. Climb maint...if
not on top by...etc.

I've never used an IFR to VFR on top clearance. What are the subleties
of this?

You just ask for an "IFR to VFR on top". This way we know that once in
VFR you will advise us and we will cancel your IFR and you will motor on
as a regular VFR flight.

What is the clearance limit?

That depends but we just give our own VOR and the route is vectors.

What are the lost comm
procedures if the clearance limit isn't an airport?

Pick an approach and land.

What if you don't
break out when you expect to find VFR?

You will be given an altitude that if you are not on top by you maintain
it and advise.
Old October 22nd 04, 09:04 PM
Howard Nelson

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Howard Nelson" wrote in message
m...

I would only accept non airport clearance limit if I were essentially
guaranteed that I would be VFR to the ground within 10-15 min. flying
range.

What if you're IMC and ATC needs to hold you?

We have kind of a unique situation here in the Monterey bay. You are outside
of, but talking to, Class C, no nearby Class B, I (in 15 years) have never
seen fog tops above 2500 ft and never gotten clearance limit less than 3000
ft. With well maintained plane, 30 mins of battery for comms, 2 comms and 1
handheld with external antenna connection I think think the likelyhood of
losing Comm while in IMC is about that of a wing falling off.
I am talking about summertime stratus (fog) with tops usually 1000-2000 and
bottoms 100-800 feet.
Howard

---

Old October 22nd 04, 09:28 PM
zatatime

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 18:19:42 GMT, "Steven P. McNicoll"
wrote:

Of course. You are IFR, after all.

Thanks.

Old October 22nd 04, 09:29 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Howard Nelson" wrote in message
m...

What if you're IMC and ATC needs to hold you?

We have kind of a unique situation here in the Monterey bay. You are
outside
of, but talking to, Class C, no nearby Class B, I (in 15 years) have never
seen fog tops above 2500 ft and never gotten clearance limit less than
3000
ft. With well maintained plane, 30 mins of battery for comms, 2 comms and
1
handheld with external antenna connection I think think the likelyhood of
losing Comm while in IMC is about that of a wing falling off.
I am talking about summertime stratus (fog) with tops usually 1000-2000
and
bottoms 100-800 feet.

Is your IFR flying limited to Monterey bay?

Old October 22nd 04, 09:36 PM
zatatime

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 14:03:36 -0600, Newps
wrote:

You just ask for an "IFR to VFR on top". This way we know that once in
VFR you will advise us and we will cancel your IFR and you will motor on
as a regular VFR flight.

I think you're confusing VFR Over the Top with VFR On Top. VFR Over
the top is just like VFR - no IFR flight plan. On Top as I understand
it keeps your IFR flight plan in tact while operating in VFR
conditions. Basically the pilot is bound by both IFR and VFR regs but
must remain VFR.

I need to read up on this more, but this is what I remeber.

Old October 22nd 04, 10:17 PM
Howard Nelson

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
nk.net...

[...]

Nah. Occasionally I might wander as far as Las Banos.

Howard

---