Help finding a glider

Old May 14th 21, 08:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Bartholomew

Default Help finding a glider

Hey all, If anyone can help, it would be hugely appreciated. I am looking for a newer standard class glider. I am 6'2" so some are just too tight. Tried a Discus 2B and was really crammed in. I hear the LS-8 has room or possibly the ASW-24 or 28?

Thanks
Old May 14th 21, 09:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Sinclair[_5_]

On Friday, May 14, 2021 at 12:16:00 PM UTC-7, John Bartholomew wrote:
Hey all, If anyone can help, it would be hugely appreciated. I am looking for a newer standard class glider. I am 6'2" so some are just too tight. Tried a Discus 2B and was really crammed in. I hear the LS-8 has room or possibly the ASW-24 or 28?

Thanks

LS made the 6, 7 & 8, two inches narrower than the LS- 3/4. How about a real cherry Genesis-2?
18” at hip and 22” at shoulders? I ha e seen a 6’ -4” pilot in one. Ship has a good competition record, having gleaned first, second and fourth in regional sports class competition!
JJ
Old May 15th 21, 03:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matthew Scutter

On Saturday, May 15, 2021 at 5:16:00 AM UTC+10, John Bartholomew wrote:
Hey all, If anyone can help, it would be hugely appreciated. I am looking for a newer standard class glider. I am 6'2" so some are just too tight. Tried a Discus 2B and was really crammed in. I hear the LS-8 has room or possibly the ASW-24 or 28?

Thanks

If you find the Discus 2b cramped, the LS8 is unlikely to be any better.
The ASW24/28 is probably your only option.

I am 6'1" and I am uncomfortable in the Discus 2a and LS8, but the Discus 2b was fine.
Old May 15th 21, 06:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas

Visit my hangar at Marfa in southwest Texas near the Davis mountains and Big Bend National Park.
Come sit in the cockpit. Might be what you're looking for. Worth a trip just for the scenery.
Contact me for details and photos of my nice Standard Cirrus (with factory trailer) for sale.

Old May 15th 21, 10:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

On Friday, 14 May 2021 at 22:16:00 UTC+3, John Bartholomew wrote:
Hey all, If anyone can help, it would be hugely appreciated. I am looking for a newer standard class glider. I am 6'2" so some are just too tight. Tried a Discus 2B and was really crammed in. I hear the LS-8 has room or possibly the ASW-24 or 28?

Thanks

I'm over 6'4" and I've flown all of the above. D2b is by far roomiest of them, tough 24/28 is a bit wider at shoulders. Currently flying LS8, a tight fit but comfortable. Note that I have to remove seatbacks from every glider except D2b.
Old May 15th 21, 01:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, May 14, 2021 at 3:16:00 PM UTC-4, John Bartholomew wrote:
Hey all, If anyone can help, it would be hugely appreciated. I am looking for a newer standard class glider. I am 6'2" so some are just too tight. Tried a Discus 2B and was really crammed in. I hear the LS-8 has room or possibly the ASW-24 or 28?

Thanks

John, if you could find a 24 or a 28 you would be doing yourself a favor. My wife has a 24 and I have flown it many times, it is a much underrated sailplane. I am 6 2 and have no problem being comfortable in the sailplane, plenty of room for my long legs and wide shoulders. The 24 is a well designed sailplane and the cockpit construction is what I refer to as the beginning of the modern composite construction in use today by Schleicher.
I have never found the ship to be inferior in the climb, it requires a bit of finding the sweet spot just like any other sailplane. Fly that ship a bit aggressive and you will be pleasantly surprised as will others. Old Bob
Old May 15th 21, 08:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Bartholomew

On Friday, May 14, 2021 at 12:16:00 PM UTC-7, John Bartholomew wrote:
Hey all, If anyone can help, it would be hugely appreciated. I am looking for a newer standard class glider. I am 6'2" so some are just too tight. Tried a Discus 2B and was really crammed in. I hear the LS-8 has room or possibly the ASW-24 or 28?

Thanks

Thanks everyone for all the advice. The big question now is how to find one for sale. Is wings and wheels the only option? I just cant seem to find anything other.

Thanks
Old May 16th 21, 04:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Saturday, May 15, 2021 at 12:50:29 PM UTC-7, John Bartholomew wrote:
On Friday, May 14, 2021 at 12:16:00 PM UTC-7, John Bartholomew wrote:
Hey all, If anyone can help, it would be hugely appreciated. I am looking for a newer standard class glider. I am 6'2" so some are just too tight. Tried a Discus 2B and was really crammed in. I hear the LS-8 has room or possibly the ASW-24 or 28?

Thanks

Thanks everyone for all the advice. The big question now is how to find one for sale. Is wings and wheels the only option? I just cant seem to find anything other.

Thanks

You can always get a list of current owners of the glider make and model you are interested in from the FAA database and send them letters asking if they are considering selling (there won't be that many).

Tom
Old May 16th 21, 09:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ASM

On Friday, May 14, 2021 at 12:16:00 PM UTC-7, John Bartholomew wrote:
Hey all, If anyone can help, it would be hugely appreciated. I am looking for a newer standard class glider. I am 6'2" so some are just too tight. Tried a Discus 2B and was really crammed in. I hear the LS-8 has room or possibly the ASW-24 or 28?

Thanks

I will have a Jantar Standard 3 for sale in about a month. Cobra trailer and all kind of equipment. It is by far the roomiest glider out there. If you want contact me at jacek dot kobiesa at iCloud dot com. Jacek