What would you buy with a 50k budget?

Old May 22nd 08, 06:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
flynrider via AviationKB.com

Default What would you buy with a 50k budget?

Wing Flap wrote:

Much too sweeping of a statement. Age of avionics, any other
electromechanical device, consider age related metal fatigue/failures,
quality of rebuilds........the older the greater thechance for misuse.

Age of avionics is independent of the airframe age. These tend to be
updated over the years.

Metal fatigue is more related to the number and quality of hours on the
airframe (I'm talking about non-pressurized GA) than chronological age.

the older the greater thechance for misuse.

This is much too sweeping of a statement. Some of the most abused
aircraft belong to FBOs and tend to be of the newer variety. One of my
neighborhood FBOs has several PA28 trainers from the 80s that are pushing 15,
000 hrs. on the airframes.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old May 25th 08, 03:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
dlevy

Lol. I'm glad I never listened to their opinion.

Kirk Ellis wrote in message
news

Colleagues, friends and family all think my flying partner and I are
bonkers to even be discussing the purchase of an airplane. It's an
insane, irrational, idiotic, and plain dumb idea to them. What ARE we
thinking???!!!
snip
Kirk

Old May 25th 08, 07:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Darrel Toepfer

"Jay Honeck" wrote:

I am in the process of buying an old Ercoupe in a new flying club
that I'm starting with two other guys. Our entire investment will be
$18,000 -- divided three ways.

Some thoughts:

Spar issues, make sure it has all the extra inspection holes underneath...

Not all models are "Light Sport" compliant...

Looks bigger than it actually is. For + sized people...

Did you tell Montblack about this?
Old May 29th 08, 03:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck[_2_]

I am in the process of buying an old Ercoupe in a new flying club
that I'm starting with two other guys. Our entire investment will be
$18,000 -- divided three ways.

Some thoughts:

Spar issues, make sure it has all the extra inspection holes underneath...

Check.

Not all models are "Light Sport" compliant...

Yep. We ended up getting a '48 "E" model, which is NOT light sport. It
does, however, have an extra 180 pounds of useful load.

Looks bigger than it actually is. For + sized people...

It's "cozy"...

;-)

Did you tell Montblack about this?

Yep. He was actually the guy that got us looking at buying an Ercoupe in
the first place, and was an early partner in this venture. We stopped
looking for light sport models after he backed out.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

FAA Budget Questions john smith Piloting 1 February 9th 07 07:26 PM
Federal Budget Is Out .. Jay Beckman Piloting 26 February 7th 07 06:14 AM
Bush Budget Skylune Piloting 13 February 10th 06 09:39 PM
Which budget GPS for iPAQ 3630? NF Soaring 7 August 2nd 05 09:44 PM
Bush Wants To Cut FAA Budget Steven P. McNicoll Piloting 73 September 29th 04 02:13 AM