MKIII yaw string sale

Old July 17th 09, 10:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ContestID67[_2_]

Default MKIII yaw string sale

Da Bump,

Where oh where do we order these things? Give me a surface address or
web site to send the coin. Google doesn't seem to be able to locate a
web site or nothin' on your great device. Where are the instructions
found?

Oh the humanity!

- John "Yaw-less" DeRosa
Old July 17th 09, 10:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Mon, 08 Jun 2009 16:20:58 +0000, bumper wrote:

And finally, thanks for asking! Every time there's a post about the MKIV
or Quite Vent kit here on ras, it generates a whole bunch of orders - -
gorilla advertising (g).

I installed mine getting on for a month ago and finally got to fly with
it yesterday.

It was just as well that I replaced the old string. It was about ready to
fall off: it was on the glider when I bought it and had been there who
knows how long plus three years. In consequence the sticker's adhesive
had become almost non-adhesive. Bumper's installation instructions worked
well. I made the paper template at home and used some kite line as a
guide. I attached the guide line to the fin and attached the template to
my canopy with masking tape, so the installation became a simple one man
job.

The result works well and looks great. Its certainly nice not having an
opaque string anchor in front of me.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old November 24th 15, 11:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, June 4, 2009 at 2:45:29 PM UTC-6, bumper wrote:
Like the Spitfire of WWII fame that inspired it's name, the "high tech" yaw
string improves again, with the MKIV replacing the MKIII. Front line units
are already being equipped with the IV.

Normally I throw away old stock if I've made an improvement, and start
selling the new, better one right away (probably not smart from a P/L
perspective). This time I've decided to sell the limited number of MKIII's
remaining at clearance price of $6 USD, 40% off the regular price of $10.
Contact me by email for availability - - first come etc.

The new MKIV's clear base looks almost identical to the MKIII it replaces.
The base is now made from a softer plastic to better conform to the canopy
curve. The base also has a thermoformed yarn channel that, along with the
new plastics better adhesion properties, should eliminate the cosmetic
problem of bubbles sometimes forming in the base laminate.

The new MKIV base required different tooling and assembly processes, and is
more tedious to assemble . . . still, price remains $10 USD (includes
domestic shipping). Available in natural wool (red, royal blue, light blue,
yellow) or synthetic yarn (previous colors plus white and turquoise).

bumper
zz
Minden NV
bumperm at att dot net

Still for sale. Contact me Thanks Geoff
Old November 25th 15, 12:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Planned obsolescence, years ago I ordered and then waited two years to get a shinny new Ventus 2C. Imagine my delight when six weeks after taking delivery SH announced the new Ventus 2CX.
Old November 25th 15, 12:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew

Do you take Bitcoin?
Old November 25th 15, 03:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SoaringXCellence

On Monday, June 8, 2009 at 9:20:58 AM UTC-7, bumper wrote:
"Dr. John Ackerson" wrote in message
Bumper,
Why can't we buy these through Wings and wheels or cumulus soaring
web sites? It would save you a ton of work.

I think the reason is that there's not enough mark up to cover their
expenses to deal with it - - they need to make a reasonable profit. The
pricing it basically at wholesale now, so they would have to sell for
substantially more than $10 USD to make it work for retail sales. I would
raise prices, but even as nice as the MKIV is, there's probably a price
point beyond which a yaw string won't sell (g).

Uh, are you selling a g-string?

There are a couple of glider businesses that carry them as a service to
their walk-in customers, such as Williams Soaring in CA and SoaringNV at
Minden. They sell them at their cost, so it's probably not reasonable to ask
them to incur the expense of shipping them, given that I ship them for free
(to USA, and for just $1internationally).

Although I have a number of jigs and fixtures to help speed and make more
accurate the fabrication process, it's still a handmade item with over 10
minutes needed to make each MKIV. To automate further would be hard to
justify given the size of the potential market. Of course I could farm out
the labor to lower my investment in time, but I haven't done that yet. I
have also not tried advertising in Soaring etc. instead relying on word of
mouth and ras etc.

This is a hobby for me and a way to share one of my inventions rather than a
business.

Old November 25th 15, 04:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

On my recent visit to Minden I purchased both the MKIV yaw string and
the Quiet Vent. I'm extremely pleased with both.

Hadn't heard about any g-string. Is that for aerobatic pilots? What
prevents it from drooping? 8-)

On 11/24/2015 7:12 PM, SoaringXCellence wrote:
[...]

Dan, 5J

Old November 25th 15, 06:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]

On Wednesday, November 25, 2015 at 7:32:35 AM UTC-8, Dan Marotta wrote:
On my recent visit to Minden I purchased both the MKIV yaw string
and the Quiet Vent.* I'm extremely pleased with both.

Hadn't heard about any g-string.* Is that for aerobatic pilots?*
What prevents it from drooping?
8-)
--

Dan, 5J

Dan,

There's been incredible interest in the MK1 Mod-a G-string. It's been in the works for years. But lots of bugs and issues. Wife won't let me hire the models needed to get the kinks sorted out . . . trying to push this further would doubtless be a dead end for me.

This thread was from '09!

MKIII . . . ah, the memories :c), been replaced by the MKIV several years back, and the MKIV has had improvements over it's run and should be at least a MKV or MKVI by now. But then that would mean recertification and all the associated costs, tests for flight into known icing, firing frozen chickens at it, that sort of thing.

I seldom get orders direct anymore (except from the wife), MKIV's are mostly sold by the major on-line soaring suppliers; Cumulus Soaring, Craggy Aero, and Wings & Wheels. I've finally hit the big time but will still need crowd funding for a suitable corporate jet. Haven't decided if it should be a sustainer or a self launch.

bumper

Old November 25th 15, 07:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

On Wednesday, November 25, 2015 at 11:39:50 AM UTC-6, bumper wrote:

There's been incredible interest in the MK1 Mod-a G-string. It's been in the works for years. But lots of bugs and issues. Wife won't let me hire the models needed to get the kinks sorted out . . . trying to push this further would doubtless be a dead end for me.

Ah yes, buggy g-strings; reminds me of my days in the PI...

Kirk
66
Old November 26th 15, 12:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Bumper,

I looked at a Stemme this morning and it had what I suppose was a MkIII
yaw string. Funny thing, though - the pointy end of the mount was
facing aft. I guess the installer didn't get the instructions.

Clear Yaw string tape? Bruno Soaring 42 August 30th 13 05:56 PM
Improvements to MKIII and Quiet Vent bumper Soaring 1 January 16th 09 04:29 PM
Wikipedia:Yaw string Doug Haluza Soaring 18 January 30th 07 03:52 PM
Yaw String in a Spin John Galloway Soaring 52 January 21st 05 11:14 PM
Yaw String refference - Spinning Vassilios Mazis Soaring 1 January 18th 05 08:30 AM