Safety pilot "flight time"

Old January 22nd 07, 08:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Macklin

Default Safety pilot "flight time"

Sure, one to look and one is flying. The one flying can LOG
PIC, the one looking can log SIC unless they are a CFI, in
which case they can log PIC w/o actually touching the
controls.

FAR 1.1
Pilot in command means the person who:

(1) Has final authority and responsibility for the operation
and safety of the flight;

(2) Has been designated as pilot in command before or during
the flight; and

(3) Holds the appropriate category, class, and type rating,
if appropriate, for the conduct of the flight.

has nothing to do with logging the time. It is quite
possible that nobody can log PIC on a flight, but every
flight will have somebody who will meet the FAR 1.1
responsibility for the flight.

Agree who is PIC, the decision maker (1), was assigned to be
PIC by the flight dispatcher (2) and do that in writing if
you don't want your widow to be homeless. But the FAA
LOGGING rules are different from the idea that you can
decide to allow the non-flying pilot to log PIC time.

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
m...
| Jim Macklin wrote:
|

| (iii) Except for a recreational pilot, is acting as
pilot in
| command of an aircraft on which more than one pilot is
| required under the type certification of the aircraft or
the
| regulations under which the flight is conducted.
|

| Jim, the FAA has repeatedly stated that 14 CFR 91.109(b)
| is considered to be one of those caes which more than one
pilot
| is required under the REGULATIONS UNDER WHICH THE FLIGHT
IS

Old January 22nd 07, 08:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Macklin

You ignored my reasoned statements, so I said your statement
was BS. I stand by that.

All the rules you cite require that to LOG PIC you must be
the pilot flying. Yes, you are looking, you are a safety
pilot. You are required to be there because the single
pilot can't see outside. But unless the guy under the hood
is just sitting there while YOU do the flying, YOU can't LOG
PIC unless you hold a CFI or the flight is an airline
training flight and you're the assigned PIC.

Just because a second pilot is required by 91.109 does not
make that pilot time logable as PIC unless they are the sole
manipulator.
It is very possible that neither pilot can log PIC, but the
FAA will insist that at least one of them will be held
responsible as PIC even if they can't log it.

A safety pilot who is not a CFI should log that time as SIC
because that is what it is. Required crew member not
manipulating the controls.

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
m...
| Jim Macklin wrote:
| BS
|

| Well there's a reasoned and intelligent comment backed up
with facts.
| 61.51(2)(iii), 61.52(3), and 61.51(4) all provide for
logging PIC
| when acting as PIC. In this case 61.51(2)(iii) applies as
the flight
| is conducted under 61.109(2) which requires a second
pilot.

Old January 22nd 07, 08:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mark Hansen

On 01/22/07 12:17, Jim Macklin wrote:
You can agree who will be PIC all you want. That decision
will be important in court during a trial for insurance
coverage, etc. But for logging the time, unless you are the
sole manipulator, a CFI or an ATP in airline operations, you
can't log PIC unless you are flying. If all you are is a
safety pilot, you can't be PIC for the purpose of logging
the time. You can be pic for the purpose of deciding
whether Joe or Fred is legally required to pay from their
estate for the damages.

Unless you have an FAA legal counsel ruling to the contrary,
the FARs simply don't support your opinion.

FAR 1.1
Pilot in command means the person who:

(1) Has final authority and responsibility for the operation
and safety of the flight;

(2) Has been designated as pilot in command before or during
the flight; and

(3) Holds the appropriate category, class, and type rating,
if appropriate, for the conduct of the flight.

As for the definition of PIC: In the situation I mentioned before,
the pilot not flying meets all three of the definitions for Pilot
in Command you have listed above.

Old January 22nd 07, 08:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mark Hansen

On 01/22/07 12:33, Jim Macklin wrote:
You ignored my reasoned statements, so I said your statement
was BS. I stand by that.

All the rules you cite require that to LOG PIC you must be
the pilot flying.

Okay, that's a compelling argument. Can you please state which
FAR it is that states that to log PIC you must be the pilot flying?

I can't find it.

Yes, you are looking, you are a safety
pilot. You are required to be there because the single
pilot can't see outside. But unless the guy under the hood
is just sitting there while YOU do the flying, YOU can't LOG
PIC unless you hold a CFI or the flight is an airline
training flight and you're the assigned PIC.

Just because a second pilot is required by 91.109 does not
make that pilot time logable as PIC unless they are the sole
manipulator.

Again, I think the FARs disagree with you.

Old January 22nd 07, 08:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Macklin

FAR 1.1 does not and is not controlling for the PURPOSE of
logging flight time. Logging time is required only to show
compliance with some regulation for some certificate or
privilege. To that end, 61.51 is controlling. 61.51
requires manipulation of the controls to LOG PIC.

Perhaps you should either cite the legal counsel's letter or
re-read it.

Old January 22nd 07, 09:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Macklin

You cite the rule, that by the two exceptions the FAA lists
for logging time as PIC when not manipulating the controls,
allow logging that time as PIC just because two bozos agree
to both log PIC time beforehand.

It is legal to log the time under the requirement of 91.109
but 91`.109 does not state whether that loggable time is PIC
or SIC.

Title 14: Aeronautics and Space
PART 61-CERTIFICATION: PILOTS, FLIGHT INSTRUCTORS, AND
GROUND INSTRUCTORS
Subpart A-General

Browse Previous | Browse Next

§ 61.51 Pilot logbooks.
(a) Training time and aeronautical experience. Each person
must document and record the following time in a manner
acceptable to the Administrator:

(1) Training and aeronautical experience used to meet the
requirements for a certificate, rating, or flight review of
this part.

(2) The aeronautical experience required for meeting the
recent flight experience requirements of this part.

(b) Logbook entries. For the purposes of meeting the
requirements of paragraph (a) of this section, each person
must enter the following information for each flight or
lesson logged:

(1) General-

(i) Date.

(ii) Total flight time or lesson time.

(iii) Location where the aircraft departed and arrived, or
for lessons in a flight simulator or flight training device,
the location where the lesson occurred.

(iv) Type and identification of aircraft, flight simulator,
or flight training device, as appropriate.

(v) The name of a safety pilot, if required by §91.109(b) of
this chapter.

(2) Type of pilot experience or training-

(i) Solo.

(ii) Pilot in command.

(iii) Second in command.

(iv) Flight and ground training received from an authorized
instructor.

(v) Training received in a flight simulator or flight
training device from an authorized instructor.

(3) Conditions of flight-

(i) Day or night.

(ii) Actual instrument.

(iii) Simulated instrument conditions in flight, a flight
simulator, or a flight training device.

(c) Logging of pilot time. The pilot time described in this
section may be used to:

(1) Apply for a certificate or rating issued under this part
or a privilege authorized under this part; or

(2) Satisfy the recent flight experience requirements of
this part.

(d) Logging of solo flight time. Except for a student pilot
performing the duties of pilot in command of an airship
requiring more than one pilot flight crewmember, a pilot may
log as solo flight time only that flight time when the pilot
is the sole occupant of the aircraft.

(e) Logging pilot-in-command flight time. (1) A sport,
recreational, private, or commercial pilot may log
pilot-in-command time only for that flight time during which
that person-

(i) Is the sole manipulator of the controls of an aircraft
for which the pilot is rated or has privileges;

(ii) Is the sole occupant of the aircraft; or

(iii) Except for a recreational pilot, is acting as pilot in
command of an aircraft on which more than one pilot is
required under the type certification of the aircraft or the
regulations under which the flight is conducted.

(2) An airline transport pilot may log as pilot-in-command
time all of the flight time while acting as pilot-in-command
of an operation requiring an airline transport pilot
certificate.

(3) An authorized instructor may log as pilot-in-command
time all flight time while acting as an authorized
instructor.

(4) A student pilot may log pilot-in-command time only when
the student pilot-

(i) Is the sole occupant of the aircraft or is performing
the duties of pilot of command of an airship requiring more
than one pilot flight crewmember;

(ii) Has a current solo flight endorsement as required under
§61.87 of this part; and

(iii) Is undergoing training for a pilot certificate or
rating.

(f) Logging second-in-command flight time. A person may log
second-in-command time only for that flight time during
which that person:

(1) Is qualified in accordance with the second-in-command
requirements of §61.55 of this part, and occupies a
crewmember station in an aircraft that requires more than
one pilot by the aircraft's type certificate; or

(2) Holds the appropriate category, class, and instrument
rating (if an instrument rating is required for the flight)
for the aircraft being flown, and more than one pilot is
required under the type certification of the aircraft or the
regulations under which the flight is being conducted.

(g) Logging instrument flight time. (1) A person may log
instrument time only for that flight time when the person
operates the aircraft solely by reference to instruments
under actual or simulated instrument flight conditions.

(2) An authorized instructor may log instrument time when
conducting instrument flight instruction in actual
instrument flight conditions.

(3) For the purposes of logging instrument time to meet the
recent instrument experience requirements of §61.57(c) of
this part, the following information must be recorded in the
person's logbook-

(i) The location and type of each instrument approach
accomplished; and

(ii) The name of the safety pilot, if required.

(4) A flight simulator or approved flight training device
may be used by a person to log instrument time, provided an
authorized instructor is present during the simulated
flight.

(h) Logging training time. (1) A person may log training
time when that person receives training from an authorized
instructor in an aircraft, flight simulator, or flight
training device.

(2) The training time must be logged in a logbook and must:

(i) Be endorsed in a legible manner by the authorized
instructor; and

(ii) Include a description of the training given, the length
of the training lesson, and the authorized instructor's
signature, certificate number, and certificate expiration
date.

(i) Presentation of required documents. (1) Persons must
present their pilot certificate, medical certificate,
logbook, or any other record required by this part for
inspection upon a reasonable request by-

(i) The Administrator;

(ii) An authorized representative from the National
Transportation Safety Board; or

(iii) Any Federal, State, or local law enforcement officer.

(2) A student pilot must carry the following items in the
aircraft on all solo cross-country flights as evidence of
the required authorized instructor clearances and
endorsements-

(i) Pilot logbook;

(ii) Student pilot certificate; and

(iii) Any other record required by this section.

(3) A sport pilot must carry his or her logbook or other
evidence of required authorized instructor endorsements on
all flights.

(4) A recreational pilot must carry his or her logbook with
the required authorized instructor endorsements on all solo
flights-

(i) That exceed 50 nautical miles from the airport at which
training was received;

(ii) Within airspace that requires communication with air
traffic control;

(iii) Conducted between sunset and sunrise; or

(iv) In an aircraft for which the pilot does not hold an
appropriate category or class rating.

(5) A flight instructor with a sport pilot rating must carry
his or her logbook or other evidence of required authorized
instructor endorsements on all flights when providing flight
training.

[Doc. No. 25910, 62 FR 16298, Apr. 4, 1997; Amdt. 61-103, 62
FR 40897, July 30, 1997; Amdt. 61-104, 63 FR 20286, Apr. 23,
1998; Amdt. 61-110, 69 FR 44865, July 27, 2004]

Browse Previous | Browse Next

§ 91.109 Flight instruction; Simulated instrument flight
and certain flight tests.
(a) No person may operate a civil aircraft (except a manned
free balloon) that is being used for flight instruction
unless that aircraft has fully functioning dual controls.
However, instrument flight instruction may be given in a
single-engine airplane equipped with a single, functioning
throwover control wheel in place of fixed, dual controls of
the elevator and ailerons when-

(1) The instructor has determined that the flight can be
conducted safely; and

(2) The person manipulating the controls has at least a
private pilot certificate with appropriate category and
class ratings.

(b) No person may operate a civil aircraft in simulated
instrument flight unless-

(1) The other control seat is occupied by a safety pilot who
possesses at least a private pilot certificate with category
and class ratings appropriate to the aircraft being flown.

(2) The safety pilot has adequate vision forward and to each
side of the aircraft, or a competent observer in the
aircraft adequately supplements the vision of the safety
pilot; and

(3) Except in the case of lighter-than-air aircraft, that
aircraft is equipped with fully functioning dual controls.
However, simulated instrument flight may be conducted in a
single-engine airplane, equipped with a single, functioning,
throwover control wheel, in place of fixed, dual controls of
the elevator and ailerons, when-

(i) The safety pilot has determined that the flight can be
conducted safely; and

(ii) The person manipulating the controls has at least a
private pilot certificate with appropriate category and
class ratings.

(c) No person may operate a civil aircraft that is being
used for a flight test for an airline transport pilot
certificate or a class or type rating on that certificate,
or for a part 121 proficiency flight test, unless the pilot
seated at the controls, other than the pilot being checked,
is fully qualified to act as pilot in command of the
aircraft.

FAR 1.1 (does not refer to logging time0

Pilot in command means the person who:

(1) Has final authority and responsibility for the operation
and safety of the flight;

(2) Has been designated as pilot in command before or during
the flight; and

(3) Holds the appropriate category, class, and type rating,
if appropriate, for the conduct of the flight

Second in command means a pilot who is designated to be
second in command of an aircraft during flight time.

"Mark Hansen" wrote in message
| On 01/22/07 12:33, Jim Macklin wrote:
| You ignored my reasoned statements, so I said your
statement
| was BS. I stand by that.
|
| All the rules you cite require that to LOG PIC you must
be
| the pilot flying.
|
| Okay, that's a compelling argument. Can you please state
which
| FAR it is that states that to log PIC you must be the
pilot flying?

| I can't find it.
|

| Yes, you are looking, you are a
safety
| pilot. You are required to be there because the single
| pilot can't see outside. But unless the guy under the
hood
| is just sitting there while YOU do the flying, YOU can't
LOG
| PIC unless you hold a CFI or the flight is an airline
| training flight and you're the assigned PIC.
|
| Just because a second pilot is required by 91.109 does
not
| make that pilot time logable as PIC unless they are the
sole
| manipulator.
|
| Again, I think the FARs disagree with you.
|
| It is very possible that neither pilot can log PIC, but
the
| FAA will insist that at least one of them will be held
| responsible as PIC even if they can't log it.
|
| A safety pilot who is not a CFI should log that time as
SIC
| because that is what it is. Required crew member not
| manipulating the controls.
|

| "Ron Natalie" wrote in message
| m...
| | Jim Macklin wrote:
| | BS
| |
| |
| |

Old January 22nd 07, 09:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Bob Moore

Jim Macklin wrote
A safety pilot who is not a CFI should log that time as SIC
because that is what it is. Required crew member not
manipulating the controls.

Bull****!!!

I'll post the entire opinion if you need it.

Bob Moore

Here is the Chief Counsel decision on the matter:

---
October 30, l992

Mr. David M. Reid

Dear Mr. Reid:

Clip...Clip....Clip

Therefore, while it is not possible for two pilots to act as PIC
simultaneously, it is possible for two pilots to log PIC flight
time simultaneously. PIC flight time may be logged by both the
PIC responsible for the operation and safety of the aircraft
during flight time in accordance with FAR 1.1, and by the pilot
who acts as the sole manipulator of the controls of the aircraft
for which the pilot is rated under FAR 61.51. Enclosed please
find two prior FAA interpretations concerning logging of PIC
time. We hope that these will be of further assistance to you.

In your second question you ask "[h]ow shall two Private Pilots
log their flight time when one pilot is under the hood for
simulated instrument time and the other pilot acts as safety
pilot?" The answer is the pilot who is under the hood may log
PIC time for that flight time in which he is the sole manipulator
of the controls of the aircraft, provided he is rated for that
aircraft. The appropriately rated safety pilot may concurrently
log as second in command (SIC) that time during which he is
acting as safety pilot.

The two pilots may, however, agree prior to initiating the flight
that the safety pilot will be the PIC responsible for the
operation and safety of the aircraft during the flight. If this
is done, then the safety pilot may log all the flight time as PIC
time in accordance with FAR 1.1 and the pilot under the hood may
log, concurrently, all of the flight time during which he is the
sole manipulator of the controls as PIC time in accordance with
FAR 61.51(c)(2)(i).
Old January 22nd 07, 09:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mark Hansen

On 01/22/07 12:49, Jim Macklin wrote:
FAR 1.1 does not and is not controlling for the PURPOSE of
logging flight time. Logging time is required only to show
compliance with some regulation for some certificate or
privilege. To that end, 61.51 is controlling. 61.51
requires manipulation of the controls to LOG PIC.

Perhaps you should either cite the legal counsel's letter or
re-read it.

Actually, I've read 61.51. Can you please state where it says
that the PIC must be manipulating the controls?

I've already shown you where it says he doesn't. It's your turn ;-)
Old January 22nd 07, 10:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mark Hansen

On 01/22/07 13:01, Jim Macklin wrote:
You cite the rule, that by the two exceptions the FAA lists
for logging time as PIC when not manipulating the controls,
allow logging that time as PIC just because two bozos agree
to both log PIC time beforehand.

We're weren't talking about bozos. We were talking about Pilots.

It is legal to log the time under the requirement of 91.109
but 91`.109 does not state whether that loggable time is PIC
or SIC.

That's right - it doesn't. However, 61.51 says that it can be
logged as PIC (under the conditions mentioned earlier).

Once again, you've simply copied the existing FARs without noting
the specific FAR which supports your point.

Are you able to cite the specific FAR are aren't you?

As I've said before, 61.51 (e) (1) (iii) says that the pilot not
flying can log PIC during the time the pilot flying is under the
hood so long as both pilots agree that the pilot flying is acting
as PIC and the pilot not flying meets the other requirements (certs,
ratings, etc.)

> [...]

hood
| is just sitting there while YOU do the flying, YOU can't
LOG
| PIC unless you hold a CFI or the flight is an airline
| training flight and you're the assigned PIC.
|
| Just because a second pilot is required by 91.109 does
not
| make that pilot time logable as PIC unless they are the
sole
| manipulator.
|
| Again, I think the FARs disagree with you.
|
| It is very possible that neither pilot can log PIC, but
the
| FAA will insist that at least one of them will be held
| responsible as PIC even if they can't log it.
|
| A safety pilot who is not a CFI should log that time as
SIC
| because that is what it is. Required crew member not

| |
| |
| |

Old January 22nd 07, 10:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mark Hansen

On 01/22/07 14:03, Mark Hansen wrote:
[...]

Oops, this should have been pilot not flying, of course.