Talk me out of this...

Old February 8th 04, 05:14 PM
Dave

A 'slow' 2-place plane with a new engine for $30K

He said about 2/3 of that.

Not after the engine... read my post again:

"A 'slow' 2-place plane with a new engine for $30K..."

....see the part about 'new engine'?

Dave

Old February 8th 04, 05:17 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Dave wrote:

Not after the engine... read my post again:

"A 'slow' 2-place plane with a new engine for $30K..."

...see the part about 'new engine'?

A, yes. In that case, you're being charitable.

George Patterson
Love, n.: A form of temporary insanity afflicting the young. It is curable
either by marriage or by removal of the afflicted from the circumstances
under which he incurred the condition. It is sometimes fatal, but more
often to the physician than to the patient.
Old February 8th 04, 06:07 PM
Dave

True

Dave

A, yes. In that case, you're being charitable.

Old February 8th 04, 05:05 PM
Jim Weir

Just an old fart's opinion, mindya...

My first airplane was a C-120 with a well-used engine. The deal I cut with the
person I bought it from is that I'd buy it on the condition that he (an A&P)
would mentor me on the overhaul...and sign it off when I got done. I learned
that engine pretty darned well after six months of work. I also learned enough
about engines to sit for the A&P exam myself (I had lots of airframe work time
but almost no aircraft piston engine work).

Sold it for well more than the total cost of acquisition PLUS the parts for the
engine.

Used that money to buy a 170 with a good engine but crappy interior. Spent
another six months on fixup, spruceup, and instrument/radio upgrades. You'd be
SURPRISED how much used good avionics are for sale if you just look.

Sold it for well more than the total cost of acquisition PLUS all the goodies I
hung on it.

Bought a 172, fixed and sold it ... bought a 182...just did a new-limits major
top on the 182 for about $5k plus 6 months...and I'll probably have the 182 for
the rest of my flying career.

HAVING SAID ALL THAT, $19.2 for a clapped out 152 is way too much, even with a
year's hangar rent thrown in. When I bought the 120, I had combed tradeaplane
for about 3 months, graphing asking price versus "condition". Condition was
made up of several factors: total time, engine SMOH, interior, paint, and
avionics. Assign each one a "value" and graph value versus asking cost. There
IS a dip in the curve if you just look for it. Buy the one at the dip in the
curve.

Oh, and if you go against everybody else's opinion in this matter and buy it
anyway, do NOT buy it without a dye penetrant inspection of the landing gear
attach fittings. After 8000 hours, students will have beat this particular part
of the airplane to a bloody pulp.

Jim

-
- Plane: '79 C152 being sold by my FBO for $19,200. TT is around 8000 (I
- think), SMOH is 2050. Annual just done. This looks like an Ok deal to
- me when comparing to like models, but the clincher is that they are
- throwing in one year of hangering as well. That makes it look like a
- pretty nice deal.

http://www.rst-engr.com
Old February 8th 04, 06:23 AM
BTIZ

2050 SMOH on an 8000hr "training airplane:...

IIRC.. most C-152 engines hit TBO at 2000, so this engine is run out
already.. should not be any hours left in it..

BT

"Paul Folbrecht" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Me: 7x hour recently licenced PP-SEL.

Plane: '79 C152 being sold by my FBO for $19,200. TT is around 8000 (I
think), SMOH is 2050. Annual just done. This looks like an Ok deal to
me when comparing to like models, but the clincher is that they are
throwing in one year of hangering as well. That makes it look like a
pretty nice deal.

Ideally I'd like to go into this with a partner but I haven't been able
to find one and I do honestly think they'll unload this aircraft before
too long. Not sure if the price or terms are negotiable but I would
like to try to squeeze a second year of hangaring out of them.

Concerns:

- Engine has only a few hundred hours till TBO. I know that means
dropping another $10K or so within a few years.
- Plane has been abused by students (including me) for 25 years now (the
FBO bought it new).
- The only A&Ps I know that I could have take a look at it work for this
FBO.

Pros:

- The plane flies a lot; I know that's good for the engine.
- The FBO is reputable and I know they do their maintenance and take
care of squawks.

I'm torn in general on renting vs. owning right now. I anticipate
flying about 100 hours/year- by my calculations that's right around the
break-even point. However, knowing you're always going to have an
aircraft available to fly, even on short notice, is something you can't
put a direct dollar figure on.

I know this issue in general has been beat to death more than anything
else here, and I've read a lot of the old threads, but any and all
comments welcome. I'm much newer at all this than most of you here.

~Paul

Old February 8th 04, 05:46 PM
BTIZ

I am no expert but i belive the 0-235 in a 152 is a 2,400 TBO

you could be right... it's been so long since I've flown a straight 152...

most around here have been upgraded to 150HP conversions..

BT

Old February 10th 04, 01:14 AM
BTIZ

it's a gas... really.. on turbulent days you have to pull the power way back
to keep the cruise speed out of the yellow..

but on hot days 90F and up.. you appreciate the available power to get up
and out and high..

Old February 9th 04, 02:08 AM
Paul Folbrecht

That is correct.