fun with controllers at OSU

Old September 19th 05, 03:04 PM
OtisWinslow

Can't do that.

"Hotel 179" wrote in message

"Mike W." wrote in message
Uncontrolled field has standard (left) traffic pattern.

Non-towered field...just announce that you are making right traffic...no
tower, no active runway.

Stephen

Old September 19th 05, 03:10 PM
OtisWinslow

I've always just specifically requested a stop and go if that's what I
wanted to do so the controller could plan accordingly. All the other
options imply that you're going to keep moving or exit the runway.

"Mike W." wrote in message
This afternoon I went out for a few laps at Ohio State. Weather was pretty
marginal, so I did 2 landings there, departed to an uncontrolled field
about
12mi away for a few, then came back. I wanted to do a few more, so I was
doing t-n-g's on the north runway. Each time, the controller said 'clear
for
the option'. So on one lap, I decided I wanted to practice a short field
landing. Stuck it, stopped and requested a back taxi. Nope, roll down to
end
and taxi back on taxiway, then reprimanded me for stopping on the runway.
He
wasn't nasty about it. 'I know you're the only one up there, but it's
baaaaaad practice...' etc.
I went through this several times when I was learning to fly there, as did
other students. Even my flight instructors would get frustrated with this
exact situation.
The airport was not at all busy. I am not arguing this guys authority or
anything, but we have to be able to practice these landings somewhere, I'm
not going to an 1500' strip out in the boonies to practice for real. I
was
this close to asking the guy for the number up in the cab, but figured
would just go home even more puzzled.
So, you controllers out there, what exactly am I cleared to do with
'cleared
for the option' that differs from 'clear for touch and go' or 'clear to
land'? Do I need to request, specifically, that I am wanting to practice a
short field, with full braking and a complete stop on the runway?

Old September 19th 05, 09:18 PM
Montblack

("Morgans" wrote)
While it is certainly possible that hot doggin' was going on, it also
could
be that someone took off with more fuel and cargo than they should have,
and
therefore had a high seat suckin' - pucker factor goin' on. g

Gear up ...then used up the rest of the runway at (maybe) 7 feet AGL. Yeah,
probably a weight and balance issue :-)

(I don't think the bottom of the fuselage was more 10 feet off the deck, I'm
sticking with 7 feet - though I can't recall the type of plane it was. I
think it was white.)

Montblack

Old September 19th 05, 09:42 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Alan Gerber" wrote in message

Doesn't a full-stop landing imply that you're going to get off the runway
promptly? I've never actually *stopped* on the runway for a full-stop
landing, just for a stop-and-go. For a full-stop landing, I always clear
the runway either at the first intersection or where the controller sends
me.

It sounded to me like the problem was that the OP actually stopped on the
runway, and then called to request the back-taxi *while* stopped on the
runway. I can see how the controller would object to this.

He wasn't cleared for a full-stop landing, he was cleared for the option.
The option includes a stop and go. On a stop and go there is usually a
pause of a few seconds between the aircraft coming to a stop and beginning
the next takeoff. Trim is set, flaps adjusted, power increased, etc.
Nothing in the OP suggests the pilot paused any longer than normal, nothing
in the OP suggests the controller had anything to object to.

Old September 19th 05, 09:57 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Lakeview Bill" wrote in message
. ..

Does "the option" include a taxi-back?

No.

Old September 19th 05, 10:02 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Montblack" wrote in message

(I don't think the bottom of the fuselage was more 10 feet off the deck,
I'm sticking with 7 feet - though I can't recall the type of plane it was.
I think it was white.)

Gee, that'll narrow it down quite a bit.

Old September 20th 05, 12:13 AM
Mike W.

Nope, that's why I asked.

Old September 20th 05, 01:33 AM
John Clonts

Of course you can. Just not legally!

Many of society's problems can be traced back to this lack of distinction between "can" and "may". Teach your
children well their "grammar"

--
Cheers,
John Clonts