Who is EAA? (was Oshkosh gate...)

Old July 5th 05, 04:32 PM
RST Engineering

Default Who is EAA? (was Oshkosh gate...)

John ...

That's a question that I've been mentally rasslin' with for a few years now.
Who **is** the reason for the EAA? Is it JUST Experimentals as the name of
the organization implies? Are the warbirds a part of it only because the
founder of EAA flew warbirds or are they an intrinsic part of it due to the
nature of keeping a beast flying for which there are no readily available
parts?

Are White Knight and Spaceship One a part of it? You can say that they are
experimentals with some assurance, but is it "experimental" in the sense of
"homebuilt"? I think not. Several hundred thousand hours of engineering
and craftsman time and several million dollars in development costs take
them a bit out of the "homebuilt" category. But to argue that they aren't
part of EAA is to disregard Burt Rutan's deep roots in the soil of Oshkosh.

The RV lines had a few visitors in 2003 but the C5A nose to nose with the
AN-24(?) had hundreds of thousands of visitors, most of them EAA members.
Do we discount having attractions like these at Oshkosh simply because they
are not experimental in the least?

To bring it down to a personal level ... I've never built an airplane. I've
only flown in a couple of experimentals. Yet a steady progression of
Cessnas from the 170 (straight) through the 172E to the current 182A have
made a 33 straight year pilgrimage to Mecca On The Winnebago. Am I really
not entitled to be the reason for the EAA?

I am not trying to pick a fight. For obvious reasons I really want to
know --- who IS the reason for the EAA?

Jim
EAA 86698

After all, who
really is the reason for the Experimental Aircraft
Association????

John

Old July 5th 05, 04:49 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"RST Engineering" wrote in message

Yet a steady progression of Cessnas from the 170 (straight) through the
172E to the current 182A have made a 33 straight year pilgrimage to Mecca
On The Winnebago.

A straight Cessna 170? What's that?

Old July 5th 05, 05:05 PM
RST Engineering

The original ragwing 170, not an A or B model.

Jim

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
news

A straight Cessna 170? What's that?

Old July 5th 05, 05:09 PM
Jim Burns

Maybe not "who" but "what is the reason" and I think that answer is
different for different people, but for me, an EAA member who will also
never build an experimental airplane, and who also has only flown in a few
experimental, the answer is TO DREAM.

To dream about what is possible. To dream about new ways to produce
improved results. To dream what hasn't been dreamed about by anyone else.
To see and hear about other's dreams. Non of the great experimental
aircraft would be reality without those initial dreams dreamt by the people
behind them. Also non of the great production and military aircraft would
be reality without the initial dreams behind them.

So maybe the "who" are the dreamers. Dare to dream.

Jim Burns

Old July 5th 05, 05:19 PM
W P Dixon

Interesting Points Jim!
I think you have hit the nail on the head for the reason alot of folks
are getting turned off by the EAA. I know when I pick up a mag about
Experimentals I want to see how-to's .....not the buy this 40G kit and paint
by numbers. But a tradesman sharing his knowledge for people willing to
learn . I want to read about Homebuilt aircraft and not the latest gadget
from Cirrus.
As for the warbirds, I think maybe they do have a place because of the
lack of available parts. But shouldn't the main topic of the warbirds be"How
we had to fab our own replacement parts?" , instead of the WOW just look at
the pretty old fighter? I don't mind restoration projects, because Lord
knows sometimes as much goes into them as building a plane. Alot of times
building a plane is exactly what you are doing!
But sometimes when I have read the EAA mags it seems there is more about
piloting then building. I think real homebuilders get just as much enjoyment
out of the building process as they do the flying. The flying is the reward
for the fun of labor and effort in building.
I know liability and all that would not let it happen , but wouldn't it
be great if the EAA mags would have articles about building a homebuilt with
the plans as well, like the old MI mags used to do? That would be
HOMEBUILDING!!

Patrick
student SPL
aircraft structural mech

Old July 5th 05, 06:21 PM
Jon Woellhaf

Jim Weir asked, "Who **is** the reason for the EAA? Is it JUST
Experimentals as the name of the organization implies?"

Perhaps the name should be changed to Everything Aviation Association.
That's my interest, at least.

Jon

Old July 5th 05, 08:57 PM
Blueskies

"W P Dixon" wrote in message ...
Interesting Points Jim!
I think you have hit the nail on the head for the reason alot of folks are getting turned off by the EAA. I know
when I pick up a mag about Experimentals I want to see how-to's .....not the buy this 40G kit and paint by numbers.
But a tradesman sharing his knowledge for people willing to learn . I want to read about Homebuilt aircraft and not
the latest gadget from Cirrus.

Are you a tradesman willing to write an article? Finding folks with the knowledge is tough; finding ones willing to
write alo is tougher!

As for the warbirds, I think maybe they do have a place because of the lack of available parts. But shouldn't the
main topic of the warbirds be"How we had to fab our own replacement parts?" , instead of the WOW just look at the
pretty old fighter? I don't mind restoration projects, because Lord knows sometimes as much goes into them as building
a plane. Alot of times building a plane is exactly what you are doing!

I don't recall the last time I saw an article in Sport Aviation about a specific warbird, let alone about a restoration
of one. There have been a number of articles about exhibition class experimantal aircraft; bought and paid for by the
owner with very little detail about the actual buid - as you say the WOW factor...

But sometimes when I have read the EAA mags it seems there is more about piloting then building. I think real
homebuilders get just as much enjoyment out of the building process as they do the flying. The flying is the reward
for the fun of labor and effort in building.

There are quite a few articles these days about welding, structural design, electrical connections. Not a whole lot of
meat to them tho'. I think a multi issue build along sort of articlee would be good...

I know liability and all that would not let it happen , but wouldn't it be great if the EAA mags would have
articles about building a homebuilt with the plans as well, like the old MI mags used to do? That would be
HOMEBUILDING!!

Patrick
student SPL
aircraft structural mech

Interesting comment about the liability issue. I suppose they to try not to be too specific because some will most
likely try and come along and say "That's what Sport Aviation said to do!"

Dan D...

Old July 5th 05, 09:18 PM
W P Dixon

Hey Dan,
Well I am not much of a writer, but I am willing to help anyone who asks
for it as far as my skill as a metalsmith. I think to be able to write for
the mag , one should be able to write better than myself. But if asked I
would probably give it a try.
And yep the whole liability thing BLOWS! It would really be nice to have
a homebuilt airplane covered from the plans thru the building process.
Drawings right there in the mag!!! Wouldn't that get a new person interested
if he saw all that in an issue?
To tell the truth I do not recall the last article I read of a warplane
either, because I wouldn't read it My warplane remarks pertained mostly
to the warplanes at EAA events and such,...just the WOW factor! I'd much
rather see how they actually did the restoration in a mag ..especially if it
takes the alloted space of a Cessna story or some such. And heck, I love
seeing the old warbirds myself! But like Jim I have to think where it all
fits in to Experimental and Homebuilt aircraft.

Patrick
student SPL
aircraft structural mech

"Blueskies" wrote in message
. ..

Old July 6th 05, 12:37 AM
Montblack

("W P Dixon" wrote)
[snip]
Well I am not much of a writer, but I am willing to help anyone who asks
for it as far as my skill as a metalsmith. I think to be able to write for
the mag , one should be able to write better than myself. But if asked I
would probably give it a try.

You know what you want to say (you have the experience) ...find someone who
will help you say it. Find yourself a good editor.

With e-mail and Word Perfect, it's a snap.

Mom edits scholarly Catholic books, reference books, encyclopedias, etc. She
says she enjoys working with the professors, scholars, and other (sometimes)
brilliant researchers. Problem with many of them is - they can't write.
Punctuation? Fuhgetaboutit.

Many would-be editors cut their teeth working on small hometown newspapers,
church newsletters, etc. You should be able to find yourself a good editor
with little effort. (They love working at home ...on the side ...per page)

Good luck, let us know when you're published :-)

Montblack

Old July 6th 05, 01:21 AM
W P Dixon

Seems like that would make the editor the writer ,huh ?

Patrick
student SPL
aircraft structural mech