ID please

Old January 11th 07, 04:53 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Syke

Default ID please

"Dingo" wrote in message

A friend sent me this very poor image - any help in ID'ing the a/c would
be
appreciated. The photo was taken at Corfe Castle, Dorset, UK in the summer
of 1966.

My first thought was they were Blackburn Beverleys, but they had twin tail
fins which these fuzzy blobs appear not to have. Current thought here is
they *might* have been Meteors.

TIA
~
Dingo

I'd say Twin Pioneers. A bit too "square cut" for Meteors

Pat Macguire

Old January 11th 07, 07:05 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Papa Fox

I'm not going to try for an ID, but maybe there is no "they" ? Perhaps
1 a/c and its shadow? P.

Old January 11th 07, 07:11 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Papa Fox

As I look closer, I'm leaning more & more to a single a/c and its
shadow. The shadow being on the lower left, the sun coming from above
(obviously i know) right. The shadow doesn't show the landing gear
like the actual a/c, and shows a bit more of a hint of a triple-tail
which supports the Twin Pioneer theory. I M N-S-H O, P.

Old January 12th 07, 10:44 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Dingo

Default ID please --- thanks

Thanks, "bob", and thanks to everybody. Trying to get a 100% ID on those
fuzzy blobs is, I reckon, nigh on impossible. Given the fact the pix was
taken at Corfe Castle would lend credence to bob's suggestion they were
Britten Norman Islanders, that location being just along the coast from the
BN base at Bembridge on the Isle of Wight.

Again, thanks all.
~
Dingo

Old January 12th 07, 11:03 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Dave Kearton

Dingo wrote:
Thanks, "bob", and thanks to everybody. Trying to get a 100% ID on
those fuzzy blobs is, I reckon, nigh on impossible. Given the fact
the pix was taken at Corfe Castle would lend credence to bob's
suggestion they were Britten Norman Islanders, that location being
just along the coast from the BN base at Bembridge on the Isle of
Wight.

Again, thanks all.
~
Dingo

It would have been a special occasion then - for both prototypes to be
flying together at the same location.

Quoting from the omniscient Wikipedia ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britten-Norman_Islander

"Design of the Islander started in 1963 and the first prototype BN-2 first
flew on 13 June 1965, with the second prototype on 20 August 1966. Both of
these had engines that were less powerful than the production versions. The
first production Islander first flew on 24 April 1967."

--

Cheers

Dave Kearton