R.I.P. Brig. Gen. Robin Olds

Old June 24th 07, 09:25 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Tom[_2_]

Default R.I.P. Brig. Gen. Robin Olds

Bob, Earlier in the the thread Dan Edwards posted the info panel for the display and
it indicates that this was a typical load out for the F-4C type AC in 1967. I'm sure
that your knowledge would be invaluable to the folks who did the restoration.
They're probably just trying to make it consistent with what took place during the
period. It must be pretty awesome to have been involved with such an individual and
the aircraft which has been memorialized at the museum. I also only had one
commander during my short 14 years who stood out among the rest. - Tom

Bob wrote:
On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 23:14:00 -0400, Tom wrote:

His aircraft from a visit to the USAF Museum 4/2007

Nice shot.
The bump on the parachute door I find interesting.
Those might be APR-25 antenna housings from a previous Wild Weasel IV
test mod at Eglin AFB in 1966 that I worked on.
And I probably did the RHAW equipment inventory on that aircraft when
it arrived at Ubon over 40 years ago. Normally the APR-25 pre-amps
were under a panel above the tail number. I removed the normal panel
and no equipment. So the panel pulling hunt was on for the two missing
pre-amps.

Also the display with the ALQ-87 has always bothered me.
The QRC-160-8/ALQ-87 didn't arrive at Ubon until late 1967.
Olds flew most of his missions from Bolo on with the QRC-160-1/ALQ-71
pod. I don't remember the date we did the inboard pylon mod so it
might be more correct to have the pod on the outboard like it was
during Bolo.

The year at Ubon under Col. Olds command was very special.
My other 19 years in the Air Force were rather ho hum compared to
that...