First helicopter (Remember those days?)

Old September 4th 03, 12:50 AM
Jim

Default First helicopter (Remember those days?)

Hello everyone,

I bet this has been covered many times before, and I apologize for
asking yet again. I further apologize for the long post. I'm one of
those new, soon-to-be pilots that needs a lot of advice. I thought if
I gave a bunch of information, some might see how serious I am and
might also recognize how much I need and appreciate the advice of the
experience in this group.
I've always wanted to pilot rotorcraft, and to own one for
recreational purposes. I'm finally at a stage in life where I can do
this kind of thing.
I'm all of about 1.5 hours into flight training in an R22. Cyclic
control in hover seems to be my weak point right now, but I suspect
this is normal. My goal someday is a UH-1N, twin turbine huey. Rough
as it may be to some, it is my hero...and dream. I'm a collector of
military vehicles, this is merely a vertical extension of that love.
Mark my words folks, I will have a huey someday (even if not a -1N
(..sob)).
Now, on to current reality. I'm quite a way from there. I need
flying time. I really want to *know* the helicopter. Getting my pilot
privileges and then simply keeping a helicopter under general control
is akin to the average house-mommy driving her SUV (no offense
ladies). I'm not that kind of motorist.
Renting would seem like the right way to go initially, but I live in
NY, near CT. The only place I can find to rent a heli is at Danbury,
CT. The R22 there requires 100 hours PIC, Robinson training
(California), no passengers, and nothing but airport landings. Totally
unacceptable to me.
Thus, I think I should buy a helicopter. I recognize this is not an
inexpensive proposition, and one full of various complications. Still,
I can't think of a better way to learn something than to be married to
it.
Money is a real consideration, yet I almost shy away in saying that.
I'm not trying to be cheap or to get something for nothing, I'm just
not made of money. A difference of even $30K is significant, although
not necessarily a deal stopper.
I'd appreciate any recommendations for a first-timer like myself.
The R22 is ugly in my opinion, I don't really like the t-bar cyclic,
and it seems very sensitive...but then again...what do I know?!!
The rotorway heli's are VERY cheap, but I read VERY mixed reviews on
them. Honestly, while I am a meticulous mechanic and fully capable of
building or repairing a helicopter, I just don't have the time. Maybe
when it comes down to shining castle nuts on my baby (the UN-1N) I'll
find the time to roll-my-own.
The 300C/CB/CBI? Baby Bell/Safari? What's a good starter? Decent
re-sell, lower per-flight costs, relatively low entry cost, etc. Is
there an optimum, or is it really just personal taste?
I won't be seriously looking/buying for about 6 months, but the
sooner I have a "target" the better. I appreciate your time and
replies.

Thanks,

No, really...Thanks!

Jim Stead
Yorktown Heights, NY
Old September 4th 03, 06:29 AM
terra

Jim wrote:

I'd appreciate any recommendations for a first-timer like myself.

This isn't a recommendation, but Brantly may be one of the the least expensive
options.
http://www.brantly.com/
http://www.brantly.info/

What's a good starter? Decent re-sell, ...

This is a recommendation, don't buy a homebuilt helicopter. But if you do, don't
buy a Mini 500.

Old September 5th 03, 01:44 PM
Davdirect

Somebody is hangaring a brantly at the helicopter school I train with and I
took a look at it one day. My biggest concern is how short the mast is, or
rather how low the blades are to the ground. I'm an average guy 5'11" and I
could see someone being decapitated very easily approaching this aircraft with
blades turning. Just an opinion.
Dave
Old September 6th 03, 11:17 PM
Micbloo

... The javelin is a totally
different looking helicopter.

Ahh, the `60s :-)

Thanks, it's hilarious!!

Geez, it looks like the thing that sits in the play area of my daughters old
Kindergarten
Center.

Remember Pearl Harbor: Special Program Tonight at EAA Fitzair4 Home Built 0 December 7th 04 07:40 PM
Helicopter accident Manuel Piloting 13 January 24th 04 09:37 PM
Helicopter crash video James Blakely Piloting 17 December 30th 03 03:21 PM
RAH-66 Comanche helicopter could face budget cuts in 2005 Larry Dighera Military Aviation 0 November 19th 03 02:18 PM
Helicopter Crashes in Sicily Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 July 16th 03 11:34 PM