Joined the club today........

Old August 21st 06, 09:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

Default Joined the club today........

My flying training has taken a long time, I guess.........

I started flying training in 1990, but lack of time and money meant
that I stopped after about 10 hours, before going solo.

Last year, my wife bought me a block of lessons for my birthday, and I
found that I hadn't forgotten everything. I was so pleased I carried on
iwth training, and last week I passed my flight test, and this morning
I passed my written, and I now hold a Canadian PPL.

The journey wasn't entirely without excitement. On my second-ever solo
I was rolling down the runway in a Cessna 150 waiting for rotation
speed - and it never came. By the time I realised the airspeed
indicator was not going to work, I was doing well over rotation speed
and ran out of rudder. The aircraft veered off the runway to the left
as I pulled the power, and it would have been an embarassing run across
the grass except for the runway sign........
Next I knew I was upside down, with fuel pouring down the windshield. I
had the presence of mind to switch off the mags and master, and the
fuel shutoff, and climbed out of the door, just as the fire trucks were
arriving. Fortunately, apart from a few nasty cuts and bruises, I was
relatively intact. I was even able to take part in a radio interview
(about something else) an hour later. And the nice chappy from the
Canadian Dept of Transport Accident branch who I had to speak to on the
phone was very understanding, as was my flying school chief instructor.
Examination off the written-off aircraft confirmed an orchard bee had
climbed into and blocked the pitot, and I was cleared of all blame,
though I'm sure if I'd had more experience, I would have avoided the
crash and simply been able to abort takeoff safely.
I decided that either I would get back in the air immediately, or I
never would again, so I had my next lesson the next morning, and soloed
again the following week.
I guess that was the most dramatic episode in my pilot training, but
there are so many memorable moments. The first solo, the first solo
away from the circuit, the first solo cross-country, the first power on
stall, the first landing at a tiny strip in the country.......

Anyway, it was all worthwhile in the quest for a lifetime dream for
this aging new pilot.........I'm very happy to join the club. And if
there is a message for anyone still in the middle of training -
perservere. You'll have some low moments (though not as low as mine, I
trust) but you'll get there in the end.

Old August 21st 06, 09:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Gene Seibel

Congratulations. Glad to have you aloft. Sounds like you earned it.

As for being upside down - been there, done that. Unfortunately, it was
later in my flying career when I should have known better.
--
Gene Seibel
Tales of Flight - http://pad39a.com/gene/tales.html

Old August 21st 06, 10:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Jon Kraus

Congratulations on getting your ticket...

One of the first things I learned to call out on the take-off roll was
"airspeed is alive". This usually occurs at about 40 MPH on our Mooney,
giving you plenty of time to stop if the "airspeed isn't alive". I call
it out everytime I am on the roll even when solo...

Jon Kraus

Old August 21st 06, 10:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
kontiki

Congratulations! Welcome to the fold.

I had a similar experience with a non-functional ASI but fortunately
was able to determine that the airplane wanted to fly so I went around
and landed to find the pitot blocked by a bit of cloth.

Confidence based on good training and all the experience you can get will
make the rest of your flying career safe and rewarding. Always try to
stay current and avoid feeling over confident. ;^)

Good luck and happy trails...

Old August 21st 06, 10:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

Jon Kraus wrote:
Congratulations on getting your ticket...

One of the first things I learned to call out on the take-off roll was
"airspeed is alive". This usually occurs at about 40 MPH on our Mooney,
giving you plenty of time to stop if the "airspeed isn't alive". I call
it out everytime I am on the roll even when solo...

Jon Kraus

I'm sure that's a good routine, Jon.
For certain I do that in my head at least on every takeoff since then!

Old August 21st 06, 10:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

Ron Garret wrote:

Personally I think your instructor was to blame if he didn't tell you to
check the airspeed indicator shortly after commencing the takeoff roll
to make sure it's working. "Airspeed is alive" should always be part of
your takeoff checklist. If you haven't realized that the ASI is dead
until well after reaching rotation speed you're doing something very
wrong.

Interestingly, Ron, "AIrspeed is alive" was not on the checklist with
my flyingschool in 1990, nor currently, though it's on my checklist
now!

Also, you should be able to fly a 150 without an ASI simply by feel and
sound (though not necessarily on a second solo).

rg

I'm sure you are correct, and I seriously thought about taking off, but
on a second solo, with all the flying in the circuits so closely pinned
to airspeeds, I'm glad I didn't. I certainly wouldn't have felt
confident about knowing how far I was from stall speed on final......

Old August 21st 06, 10:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Gig 601XL Builder

wrote in message
ups.com...
My flying training has taken a long time, I guess.........

I started flying training in 1990, but lack of time and money meant
that I stopped after about 10 hours, before going solo.

Last year, my wife bought me a block of lessons for my birthday, and I
found that I hadn't forgotten everything. I was so pleased I carried on
iwth training, and last week I passed my flight test, and this morning
I passed my written, and I now hold a Canadian PPL.

Congratulations now you are fully qualified to come here and talk about
politics.

Really, Congrats.

Old August 21st 06, 10:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
bk

Congratulations on getting your ticket.

How do you feel about airspeed indication now? A useful exercise is to
get an instructor, put paper over the ASI, and fly the pattern a few
times so that you can takeoff and land without reference to airspeed,
just attitude by looking out the window and feeling the yoke.

Enjoy your new privileges,

Bruce

Old August 21st 06, 11:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Ken Finney

"Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATcox.net wrote in message

wrote in message
ups.com...
My flying training has taken a long time, I guess.........

I started flying training in 1990, but lack of time and money meant
that I stopped after about 10 hours, before going solo.

Last year, my wife bought me a block of lessons for my birthday, and I
found that I hadn't forgotten everything. I was so pleased I carried on
iwth training, and last week I passed my flight test, and this morning
I passed my written, and I now hold a Canadian PPL.

Congratulations now you are fully qualified to come here and talk about
politics.

As long as he is a Tory, that is...

;^)

Congrats!