Happy Birthday

Old September 13th 07, 01:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
James Sleeman

Default Happy Birthday

The Cessna 150 prototype first flew on September 12, 1957
(source:wikipedia).

With so many pilots having had thier training in a C150 or 152, I
think it's fair to remark on the fact that the 150 turns 50 Years
young today.

Will it still be flying in another 50?

Old September 13th 07, 01:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blueskies

"James Sleeman" wrote in message ps.com...
The Cessna 150 prototype first flew on September 12, 1957
(source:wikipedia).

With so many pilots having had thier training in a C150 or 152, I
think it's fair to remark on the fact that the 150 turns 50 Years
young today.

Will it still be flying in another 50?

That was my first solo plane, and I have many hours in the right seat...

Old September 13th 07, 05:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ricky

On Sep 12, 7:47 pm, James Sleeman wrote:
The Cessna 150 prototype first flew on September 12, 1957
(source:wikipedia).

With so many pilots having had thier training in a C150 or 152, I
think it's fair to remark on the fact that the 150 turns 50 Years
young today.

Will it still be flying in another 50?

I sure do think so. Was 1959 the first production year for the C-150?
One of the biggest regrets of my life is having to sell my dad's 1959
C-150. It had the Tx. Taildragger conversion and 180 horses up front.
My dad had the original STCs for these conversions, he was "Mr. Tx.
Taildragger" and held many other STCs for C-150s & 172s.
When my dad died many years ago no one in the family was willing to
finance the upkeep of his last C-150, N59150. It was completely
restored to like-new condition and we had to let it go for a little
over $30,000. My mom also needed the money.
As an soon-to-be A&P with Commercial/Instrument my dream is to one day
get a C-150 or C-172 and install all the conversions my dad was
responsible for.
In my teens I got rather tired of the C-150/152/172 with all the
planes and hulks involved in the certification process. At the shop &
airport we had C-150s coming out our ears! But now it serves as one of
the most endearing airplanes in my life.

Ricky Summersett (Son of the late Jim Summersett)

Old September 13th 07, 05:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Hamish Reid

In article .com,
Ricky wrote:

[...]

Wow -- I'd be really sad to have had to sell that plane. I learned basic
aerobatics in a Texas Taildragger C150 Aerobat conversion, but (I think)
only 160 horsepower. A nice way to learn aerobatics, that's for sure,
and landing that thing (and getting my tailwheel endorsement) sure
taught me a thing or two about rudder pedal usage... :-).

Hamish
Old September 13th 07, 06:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dallas

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 21:24:09 -0700, Ricky wrote:

One of the biggest regrets of my life is having to sell my dad's 1959
C-150.

Buy it back:

JOHN R GRAY
(Individual)
MADISONVILLE, LA 70447 US
(St. Tammany County) * 1959 17265 N59150 CONT MOTOR/0-200 SERIES
--
Dallas
Old September 13th 07, 05:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

The Cessna 150 prototype first flew on September 12, 1957

Wow. My 17 year old son soloed a 150 last month.

It's amazing that those old birds just keep soldiering on, given the
pounding they take...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 13th 07, 06:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ricky

On Sep 13, 12:22 am, Dallas wrote:
On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 21:24:09 -0700, Ricky wrote:
One of the biggest regrets of my life is having to sell my dad's 1959
C-150.

Buy it back:

JOHN R GRAY
(Individual)
MADISONVILLE, LA 70447 US
(St. Tammany County) * 1959 17265 N59150 CONT MOTOR/0-200 SERIES
--
Dallas

You have no idea how badly I would like to buy it back. Unfortunately,
those green papers are just not abundant enough in my life right now
to be able to do so.....
The guy did say "come and visit her anytime you want to," though...

Ricky

Old September 14th 07, 03:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
buttman

On Sep 13, 9:00 am, Jay Honeck wrote:

It's amazing that those old birds just keep soldiering on, given the
pounding they take...

A few weeks ago I was instructing in a 152 with the tail number
N48049. I was near a uncontrolled field, so just for the hell of it I
decided to call the field and say "blah blah traffic, Cessna 48049
flying over the field at 4500 westbound". A second later someone came
on and said "is that a cessna 152", I replied, "uh yes". Then the
voice came back and said "I used to instruct in that plane back in
'86-'88"

I thought that was kind of cool. It boggles my mind to think how many
people have flown that one particular plane. If those wall could
talk...

With cars, they are made, someone buys them, it gets driven a lot,
then it breaks down and gets disposed of. Airplanes on the other hand,
last much much longer. I bet it won't be for another 100 years or so
until they all cease to fly.