typical sailplane fuselage weights

Old July 3rd 08, 05:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

Default typical sailplane fuselage weights

I am curious if any one knows what just the fuselage weighs for their
single seat sailplane.

Cheers,
Brad
Old July 3rd 08, 05:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Lars Peder Hansen

123,2 Kg for my DG-600/18

Happy Soaring
Lars Peder
Denmark

Old July 4th 08, 09:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gavin Short[_2_]

At 16:30 03 July 2008, Brad wrote:
I am curious if any one knows what just the fuselage weighs for their
single seat sailplane.

Cheers,
Brad

102.0Kg for my Std Cirrus.

Why the question?

Gavin
Std Cirrus, CNN now G-SCNN, #173
LSV Viersen, Keiheuvel, Belgium
Old July 4th 08, 03:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

Why the question?

Gavin

Thanks for the replies so far.

I am building my HP-24 fuselage and just wanted to get a ballpark feel
for what a typical single seat fuselage might weigh.

Cheers,
Brad
Old July 4th 08, 06:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

I am building my HP-24 fuselage and just wanted to get a ballpark feel
for what a typical single seat fuselage might weigh.

Cheers,
Brad

Another way to look at this would be to work backwards - you know most
modern 15m ships have wings that weight about 150 lbs apiece (give or
take a bit). And you also know that most modern sailplanes weigh
somewhere around 530 - 580 lbs empty (let's call it 550 as a rough
average).

150 * 2 wings = 300 lbs.
550 - 300 = 250 lbs for the fuselage and tail (and all the bits inside
the fuse like landing gear, control-rods, instruments, etc).

Take care,

--Noel

Old July 4th 08, 06:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

I also realized my Thomas book has a weight column for the fuselage/
vert fin, and a column for the horiz tail, as well as wings. I see
that I am on target to produce a fuselage that will weigh well under
200 lbs. The carbon shell weighed in around 65 pounds, and with all
the internal bits and structure, it is now up to 105 pounds.

Brad

JSF/F-22 weights John Cook Military Aviation 2 September 11th 04 06:32 AM
Lak-12 weights pete83 Soaring 1 June 26th 04 11:25 PM
Lak-12 weights pete83 Soaring 0 June 26th 04 06:47 PM
Can you mix oil weights? Ben Jackson Owning 13 January 5th 04 02:51 AM
Engine weights Salem Farm & Garden Home Built 5 July 22nd 03 04:27 AM