Gruman Tiger again,, Sorry

Old September 22nd 03, 04:36 PM
Ron Natalie

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message news:ruEbb.552072$uu5.90807@sccrnsc04...
When you're in flight, the lower pressure above the wing tends to
cause the skin to bulge up a bit, except where it's bonded to the
wing. My Cherokee 180 exhibits this behavior. In flight, you can
see the wing skin lifted slightly above the rivet line.

Hmm. I'm gonna have to check that out next flight.

Of course, this is why you have to ribstitch fabric wings.

Old September 23rd 03, 03:36 AM
Bill

Demand is the key to price.
Grummans are like race cars. Quick handling and fast.
And as mentioned before not too forgiving. I throuht about buying one too
and
found that the Beech Sundowner was a better buy for a big guy (6'3, 220)
like me.
Like the Grumman you can get in from both the right and left sides.
Bill N9230S 76 Sundowner

"Dave Accetta" wrote in message
I saw the thread earlier about the Tiger as I was about to type this, but

it
didn't answer any of my questions, so here goes.

I keep seeing the Tiger for sale between $65k and $110k. I always thought
these planes were highly desirable. This seems a little cheap compared to
other planes the same age.

Have they fallen out of favor or is this the norm? If I could find one

for
$75000 I'd be looking for a partner right now!

I had heard that they are more desirable than the 172, but I think it

seems
that may be because of the price?
I also heard they were a little faster than the 172?

What is bad about this plane? The thought of this is getting me all

revved
up!

Dave A

Old September 23rd 03, 07:13 AM
Flynn

FWIW, I'm about to become a former Tiger owner but I can offer the
perspective of someone who trained in C172s, transitioned to a Tiger, has
some limited (but 5+ hours of very exciting time) in Extra 300L and now
transitioned to an SR22.

I'm not sure what demand for your average C172 might be but the interest
level in my Tiger was quite high I thought given the overall economy, state
of GA, etc etc. I have been receiving a call/email/inquiry a day for the
past 3 weeks.

As to flying a Tiger, I'd agree with the other posters and Sydney hit it
spot on- IMO the Tiger is a pilot's airplane. That is- it is very fun to
fly, fast enough to get you most places in reasonable time, visibility
that's exceptional (between the canopy, the low panel and cowl and seating
position near the leading edge of the wing), and fairly stingy on the fuel.
You definitely want to have your network of other Grumman owners working for
you but between the American Yankee Assoc (www.aya.org) and the Grumman Gang
there's enthusiastic and knowledgeable support available.

My recommendation is to arrange a ride or two in one before you decide. If
I was to buy a "smaller" single, it would absolutely be a Tiger.

Best of luck with the decision.

--
Patrick Flynn
Sammamish, WA