AWOS on Internet

Old December 22nd 03, 03:05 PM
Skyking

Default AWOS on Internet

Pretty cool site. Try it, you'll like it!

http://www1.faa.gov/asos/map/map.htm

Skyking
Old December 22nd 03, 06:17 PM
John Harper

They've made an idiosyncratic choice of which airports to
include. They don't include Palo Alto, but they do include
KOYO, whatever that is (not a public use airplane airport,
for sure, and not on the SFO sectional). They include a
handful of non-towered airports, e.g. Columbia, but by
no means all.

Odd.

John

om...

Old December 22nd 03, 06:30 PM
Paul

http://adds.aviationweather.noaa.gov...tars/index.php

Try this for AWOS

Paul
NC2273H

"

Old December 23rd 03, 10:39 AM
Skyking

"Paul" wrote in message ...
http://adds.aviationweather.noaa.gov...tars/index.php

Try this for AWOS

Paul
NC2273H

I did and never got any AWOS information.

Thanks anyway,

Skyking
Old December 23rd 03, 12:47 PM
Skyking

"John Harper" wrote in message news:1072116972.528818@sj-nntpcache-5...
They've made an idiosyncratic choice of which airports to
include. They don't include Palo Alto,

Apparently PAO has ATIS and not AWOS.

but they do include
KOYO, whatever that is (not a public use airplane airport,
for sure, and not on the SFO sectional).

Yeah, that's on the map but not in the list.

They include a
handful of non-towered airports, e.g. Columbia, but by
no means all.

Hey, this is a government thing but it's better than nothing.
Maybe if you search, you can find a place to complain.
If you look at the list, not all of the AWOS sites can be accessed
online.

Oh well,

Skyking
Old December 23rd 03, 02:04 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "John Harper" said:
include. They don't include Palo Alto, but they do include
KOYO, whatever that is (not a public use airplane airport,
for sure, and not on the SFO sectional). They include a

They've got a bad habit of sticking a "K" on the front of all identifiers
when they plot it on the map. KO70 on the map is really O70 (Jackson). I
can't figure out what K0Y0 on the map is - the only airport that looks
even close to that on AirNav is 069, Petaluma.

--
"The magic of usenet has never been its technology; and, only in part, its
reach. Its magic -- its power -- is based on the very real human connections
Old December 24th 03, 06:38 PM
Skyking

(Paul Tomblin) wrote in message ...
In a previous article, "John Harper" said:
include. They don't include Palo Alto, but they do include
KOYO, whatever that is (not a public use airplane airport,
for sure, and not on the SFO sectional). They include a

They've got a bad habit of sticking a "K" on the front of all identifiers
when they plot it on the map. KO70 on the map is really O70 (Jackson). \

I believe that the "K" is only supposed to be used for International
Airports. I wonder how the good old USA got a "K" when Canada got a "C"
and Great Britain got a "G"? When we stay within our boundries, we don't
need a letter to tell us that we are navigating within our own country.

Merry Christmas,

Skyking
Old December 24th 03, 07:10 PM
Bill Denton

As a quick rule of thumb, you append the "K" only to airports, and only to
those whose identifiers contain only letters (no numbers).

om...

\

Old December 24th 03, 07:19 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Bill Denton" said:
As a quick rule of thumb, you append the "K" only to airports, and only to
those whose identifiers contain only letters (no numbers).

And only in the lower 48. Alaska and Hawaii (and US territories) don't
have an easy rule like that, but the ICAO ids for those airports start
with a P.

Theoretically only airports that produce weather reports or forecasts, or
that are airports of entry have ICAO ids[1], but in practice GPS
manufacturers (and my waypoint generators on http://navaid.com) do as you
say, and put a K on any airport id in the lower 48 that doesn't have
digits in it.

[1] A lot of airports had to change id to not have any numbers in the id
when we went to METAR/TAF for that reason, and also even now when an
airport gets an AWOS, if it had digits in the ID it will change id. Wings
Field near Philadelphia did that a few years ago.