2 civilian airliners down south of Moscow

Old August 26th 04, 03:41 AM
Mailman

John A. Weeks III wrote:

In article VP6Xc.135504$sh.122307@fed1read06, Darrell
wrote:

My local paper this morning said the southernmost plane sent a hijack
code just before it went off radar.

A report that has not been discounted by Russian authorities.

-john-

....which proves, yet again, how little journalists understand: setting the
transponder/IFF to emergency mode is done in a hijacking - or any other
emergency. All it does is to show the plane with a different display on the
radar screen.
--
Mailman

Old August 26th 04, 04:16 AM
BUFDRVR

Mailman wrote:

...which proves, yet again, how little journalists understand: setting the
transponder/IFF to emergency mode is done in a hijacking - or any other
emergency.

Uhhh...no. The ICAO transponder emergency distress code is 7700 while hijacking
is (I think??) 7200. There's also one for NORDO (No Radio) which I think is
7600.

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"
Old August 26th 04, 04:31 AM
Bob Coe

"BUFDRVR" wrote
Mailman wrote:

...which proves, yet again, how little journalists understand: setting the
transponder/IFF to emergency mode is done in a hijacking - or any other
emergency.

Uhhh...no. The ICAO transponder emergency distress code is 7700 while hijacking
is (I think??) 7200. There's also one for NORDO (No Radio) which I think is
7600.

7500 for hijack. Your other guesses are correct. 77 and 76 came from the old
64 code days. Back when there was only 10 airplanes within a hundred miles of
an airport :-) 00 was the intercept code, and 11 was the interceptor weapons free
code (nuclear). 12 was contact flying below 12kft.

Old August 26th 04, 04:40 AM
Bob Coe

"Howard Berkowitz" wrote

Hijack is 7500. For some reason I haven't fathomed, the FAA ATC
procedure is to contact the aircraft by radio and ask "Sir, please
confirm you are squawking 7500."

That's just one option. There are other radio code phrases. We used to
get new ones all the time when we filed.

Old August 26th 04, 06:23 AM
Pooh Bear

Robert Briggs wrote:

Vello wrote:

They start from the same point, in Russian media poor fuel is one
discussed thing.

The obvious problem with that idea is that poor fuel would usually
just stop the engines, leaving them 30,000 feet or so of gliding
descent in which to report their difficulties and attempt power-off
landings.

See Air Transat and Air Canada for practical examples.

Graham

Old August 26th 04, 06:27 AM
Pooh Bear

Keith Willshaw wrote:

Gas turbines are pretty tolerant of fuel quality and
if this was the problem I'd expect a lot more than 2
aircraft to be affected.

Very true. Jet A is basically kerosene. Not exactly a high tech fuel.
Turbines will burn almost any similar rubbish within reason.

It would be *very* tricky to fuel just 2 a/c - and no others - with
contaminated fuel.

Graham

Old August 26th 04, 06:30 AM
Pooh Bear

Howard Berkowitz wrote:

Hijack is 7500. For some reason I haven't fathomed, the FAA ATC
procedure is to contact the aircraft by radio and ask "Sir, please
confirm you are squawking 7500."

Oh great ! What presence of mind ! What berk thought that one up ?

Has it occurred that just maybe, here and there, a hijacker just might
not notice the transponder code was changed?

Mercuns just love to screw up the admin way.

Graham

Old August 26th 04, 10:11 AM
Krztalizer

...which proves, yet again, how little journalists understand: setting the
transponder/IFF to emergency mode is done in a hijacking - or any other
emergency. All it does is to show the plane with a different display on the
radar screen.

Well, that depends if he squawks emergency, or if he squawks the hijack code.
Two different numbers - and I doubt many folks would dial in the wrong one
(although it has happened in the past).

v/r
Gordon
====(A+C====
USN SAR

Its always better to lose -an- engine, not -the- engine.

Old August 26th 04, 11:20 AM
Vaughn

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message

It would be *very* tricky to fuel just 2 a/c - and no others - with
contaminated fuel.

One inadvertantly (or purposly) contaminated fuel truck could manage that
trick quite well. But I think we would know by now.

Vaughn