No more partial checkrides. :(

Old April 8th 05, 12:26 AM
Robert M. Gary

Default No more partial checkrides. :(

I just called a local examiner to ask what will happen if the weather
isn't good enough to fly with my student tomorrow. He said that the
Sacramento FSDO recently told him that he is not allowed to begin a
checkride (i.e. do the oral) unless he believes there is a high
probability of finishing the entire exam. The result is that if the
weather is bad he CANNOT do the oral and save the flying for another
day. This sounds like a crappy policy to me. I always thought breaking
the checkride up was a great idea anyway.

-Robert, CFI

Old April 8th 05, 12:43 AM
Roy Smith

In article .com,
"Robert M. Gary" wrote:

I just called a local examiner to ask what will happen if the weather
isn't good enough to fly with my student tomorrow. He said that the
Sacramento FSDO recently told him that he is not allowed to begin a
checkride (i.e. do the oral) unless he believes there is a high
probability of finishing the entire exam.

What on earth is the point of that?
Old April 8th 05, 01:30 AM
Charlie Derk

I think that's a bunch of crap. It must be up to the DE.
I took my instrument practical back in january. for some reason (its too
involved to get into now) I wound up without enough hours (part 141
requires 35 hours). My instructor and the chief flight instructor
didn't catch it. i did the oral, and the next weekend after i made up
the 5 hours i was missing, finished the flight portion.

Old April 8th 05, 06:08 PM
Michael

Sacramento FSDO recently told him that he is not allowed to begin a
checkride (i.e. do the oral) unless he believes there is a high
probability of finishing the entire exam.

What on earth is the point of that?

Well, a checkride is, after all, a flight. And one should not begin a
flight unless one believes there is a high probability of completing it
as planned. After all, you wouldn't suggest to a student that he get
his briefing and plan his flight when the weather was crappy halfway to
his destination, right? Because once he planned it, he might be
tempted to launch and take a look, figuring it might improve, or he can
always land and wait it out, completing the trip later - because
really, what's the point? It's when you get there that counts, not
when you leave. And then when he got halfway there and the weather was
bad, he might be tempted to press on a little longer because hey, it
might improve and he's already halfway there.

Better he not launch unless he can count on making it all the way there
in one shot.

Why shouldn't the same philosophy apply to checkrides? It makes just
as much sense.
Of course maybe the whole concept is wrong...

Michael

Old April 8th 05, 06:37 PM
Mark Hansen

On 4/8/2005 10:08, Michael wrote:

[...]

Well, perhaps you understood the original question better than I did,
but I didn't see anyone suggesting that the flight be started when
the weather was threatening an early termination; only that the oral
portion be allowed to be done even if the flight had to be postponed
until later.

--
Mark Hansen, PP-ASEL
Sacramento, CA
Old April 8th 05, 06:41 PM
Victor J. Osborne, Jr.

My DE said she would count it as plus if an applicant cancelled the ride
after the oral. Good 'Decision making' at its best.

--

Thx, {|;-)

Victor J. (Jim) Osborne, Jr.

VOsborne2 at charter dot net
oups.com...

Old April 8th 05, 07:15 PM
John

AOPA's Flight Training magazine for May 2005 has an article concerning
the new "Designated Pilot and Flight Engineer Examiners' Handbook.
http://afs600.faa.gov/ look on the right side for "Pilot examiner's
handbook."

p. 60 from the magazine
In the past, " FSDOs had instructed DPEs that unless it was reasonable
to expect to complete the test on the appointed day, the test was to be
rescheduled."
"better guidance appears now with the examiner authorized to elect,
with the applicant's concurrence, to begin the test anyway with the
intention of finishing on another day. However, when the test is
discontinued, the applicant must be issued a letter of discontinuance.

Old April 8th 05, 09:37 PM
Michael

Well, perhaps you understood the original question better than I did,

but I didn't see anyone suggesting that the flight be started when
the weather was threatening an early termination; only that the oral
portion be allowed to be done even if the flight had to be postponed
until later.

But starting the oral portion makes it more likely that a flight will
be made. If the ride is cancelled, there's no pressure. If it's
already started, there will be some pressure to finish it - analogous
to get-home-itis. Therefore, it's safer to just cancel if it's at all
iffy. Why rely on the judgment of the pilots to make a good call with
respect to weather when it actually happens - safer to avoid the whole
situation by cancelling if there is doubt. After all, cancelling for
weather is never a mistake, right?

All the FSDO is doing here is reducing the opportunity for the examiner
to exercise his judgment and thus possibly make a mistake. Surely
there can't be anything wrong with that? Can there?

Michael

Old April 8th 05, 10:45 PM
Mark Hansen

On 4/8/2005 13:37, Michael wrote:

Well, perhaps you understood the original question better than I did,

but I didn't see anyone suggesting that the flight be started when
the weather was threatening an early termination; only that the oral
portion be allowed to be done even if the flight had to be postponed
until later.

But starting the oral portion makes it more likely that a flight will
be made. If the ride is cancelled, there's no pressure. If it's
already started, there will be some pressure to finish it - analogous
to get-home-itis. Therefore, it's safer to just cancel if it's at all
iffy. Why rely on the judgment of the pilots to make a good call with
respect to weather when it actually happens - safer to avoid the whole
situation by cancelling if there is doubt. After all, cancelling for
weather is never a mistake, right?

If the student would push for a flight test in weather that shouldn't
be flown in, the test should be failed. If I were a D.E. (which I am
not) I would think this a great opportunity to see how the pilot
evaluates the situation.

After all, after the test is passed, the pilot will begin making
these decisions on his own.

All the FSDO is doing here is reducing the opportunity for the examiner
to exercise his judgment and thus possibly make a mistake. Surely
there can't be anything wrong with that? Can there?

I think one of the tasks the examiner should be doing is evaluating
the decision making processes of the pilot.

However, I'll agree that if you never take any risks, you'll improve
your chance of survival. I don't want to survive that way, but that's
my personal opinion.

Michael

--
Mark Hansen, PP-ASEL
Sacramento, CA
Old April 8th 05, 10:47 PM
Robert M. Gary

I'm not sure what you mean by "launch". In this case, we're just
talking about sitting in the office doing the oral. It is such a HUGE
task for me as a CFI to get DE, student and airplane in one place at
the same time, it would be helpful to at least get the oral done while
the student and DE have the schedule available to do so, even if the wx
prevents flight. The DE can always issue a notice of discountinuance if
the checkride cannot be finished that day. It's too bad the FSDO sees
it this way.
Many DE's are scheduled 30+ days out. Having to reschedule an entire
ride (vs a 1.5 hr flight) can push the student out a month or more.

-Robert