No more partial checkrides. :(

Old April 9th 05, 12:26 AM
Robert M. Gary

That is a slippery argument. You could also say that getting your
private is dangerous because you're more likely to make safe decisions
when you are a student and need to have a CFI review your cross
country. Perhaps everyone should have a CFI review their cross
countries. I just don't see a DE feeling pressure to fly in bad weather
because he gave an applicant an oral evaluation.

-Robert, CFI

Old April 9th 05, 05:05 AM
Highflyer

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
oups.com...
That is a slippery argument. You could also say that getting your
private is dangerous because you're more likely to make safe decisions
when you are a student and need to have a CFI review your cross
country. Perhaps everyone should have a CFI review their cross
countries. I just don't see a DE feeling pressure to fly in bad weather
because he gave an applicant an oral evaluation.

-Robert, CFI

Hey guys. I think Michael had his tongue so far out in his cheek that he
bit it on that last post. If you guys don't think Michael firmly believes
that pertinent decisions should be made at the lowest possible level you
don't read his posts very carefully! :-)

Clearly he thinks it is criminal for the FSDO to take such basic decisions
away from their examiners. Personally, I happen to agree with him. In
SPADES. If my FSDO starts making rules restricting my ability to make the
decisions that I am paid to make we WILL have words. Fortunately for all of
us, they do NOT do that. Instead we work quite well together to get done
what needs to be done in a way that is safe and effective. Of course, there
IS some extra irrelevant paperwork that needs to be generated to give all of
the filing mavens in administration in the FAA something to file, but they
have to justify their jobs in this time of tight government budgets also.
:-/

Highflyer

Old April 9th 05, 07:36 AM
Javier Henderson

"Michael" writes:

Well, perhaps you understood the original question better than I did,

but I didn't see anyone suggesting that the flight be started when
the weather was threatening an early termination; only that the oral
portion be allowed to be done even if the flight had to be postponed
until later.

But starting the oral portion makes it more likely that a flight will
be made. If the ride is cancelled, there's no pressure. If it's
already started, there will be some pressure to finish it - analogous
to get-home-itis. Therefore, it's safer to just cancel if it's at all
iffy. Why rely on the judgment of the pilots to make a good call with
respect to weather when it actually happens - safer to avoid the whole
situation by cancelling if there is doubt. After all, cancelling for
weather is never a mistake, right?

Why rely on the judgement of the pilots? Oh, because we're supposed to
do it every single time we fly?

All the FSDO is doing here is reducing the opportunity for the examiner
to exercise his judgment and thus possibly make a mistake. Surely
there can't be anything wrong with that? Can there?

You're reaching too far. This is a boneheaded policy, period.

And, why are you suggesting that the FSDO should second guess (in advance!)
the DE? That's the last thing we need, more intromision. There's plenty
as it is.

-jav
Old April 9th 05, 05:47 PM
Peter Duniho

"Javier Henderson" wrote in message
[...]
You're reaching too far. This is a boneheaded policy, period.

And, why are you suggesting that the FSDO should second guess (in
advance!)
the DE? That's the last thing we need, more intromision. There's plenty
as it is

Wow. Even after Highflyer's post, people still think Michael's being
completely serious.

IMHO, it's pretty obvious he's taking the FSDO's side for the sake of making
obvious the problems with their position. Anyone who'd read any of
Michael's other posts would not make the mistake of thinking he's actually
in favor of the FSDO wielding such broad control over the judgments of
others.

Pete

Old April 11th 05, 01:41 PM
Ron Natalie

Michael wrote:
Sacramento FSDO recently told him that he is not allowed to begin a
checkride (i.e. do the oral) unless he believes there is a high
probability of finishing the entire exam.

What on earth is the point of that?

Well, a checkride is, after all, a flight.

No it's not a flight. It's a series of demonstrations both
oral and practical. The only "flight" element is the requirement
to plan one out to the range of the aircraft. The PTS otherwise
could do each required element in a different "flight."