I quit.....

Old April 16th 05, 07:59 PM
Beav

Default I quit.....

"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT" net wrote in
message ...
Yep. I quit my school today. The ridiculous policies that have been
recently adopted together with the complete lack of flying time since
I got my ticket on 3/7 (4 whopping hours in 5 weeks??) and the
completely disorganized approach to this intrument ground school just
completely put me off.

I've already joined another school as of 11:00am today and I'll be
meeting with my instructor 1st thing Monday morning. I'm going to
miss flying the R44, but the new school will be getting a new Raven II
in 2-3 months. Until then, me and the 300C will be sharing foggle
time...

My new goal is to get my instrument ticket within the next 90 days and
have my commercail 60 days after that. A very aggressive schedule
considering I need to crank out 46 hours of X-country time while I do
my instrument training, but at this point I want to completely immerse
myself in flying.

he really cool ting is my commercail instructor has something like
20,000+ hours in helicopters. What better person to learn from???

So long as he's still breathing, I'd go with him, even if it does mean
helping him get his zimmer frame into the heli:-)

Beav

Old April 17th 05, 08:14 PM
Beav

"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT" net wrote in
message ...
On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 19:59:33 +0100, "Beav"
wrote:

he really cool ting is my commercail instructor has something like
20,000+ hours in helicopters. What better person to learn from???

So long as he's still breathing, I'd go with him, even if it does mean
helping him get his zimmer frame into the heli:-)

Well, he just flew over the house in his 500 and I didn't see a big
fireball or smoke so I assume he got down ok and is alive and well.

Grab him now, those 500's are wonderful machines. (Assuming of course it's a
"real" 500 with a tail rotor and all:-)

Beav

Old April 17th 05, 11:53 PM

Kevin
Still working on the pics. Also reminded that I did an article for
HelicopterMonthly.com in the Feb issue on ag work and it has one shot
of me sitting on a truck with the Hiller 12E. My older computer has all
the pics on the HD and I'm having a hard time transfering them to the
new one.
Good luck with your new school and I'd imagine you are going to
progress much more quickly. The old guys like me have a wealth of tips
and practical stuff that only comes with time and often we don't think
of them until the situation comes along that triggers the memory. Also
don't have much patience with pilots/students who aren't ready for a
flight lesson or who don't study in between flights. Have fun and enjoy
yourself. I haven't made any approaches in the SAN area since about
1985-86 when I was flying a corporate Merlin II based in SNA.
Ol S&B

Old April 18th 05, 12:27 PM
Beav

"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT" net wrote in
message ...
On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 20:14:13 +0100, "Beav"
wrote:

Grab him now, those 500's are wonderful machines. (Assuming of course it's
"real" 500 with a tail rotor and all:-)

Yep.. 5 blades on the big fan, 2 on the little one. Not sure when/if
I'll get time in it, but I can always think back to the 20 mins of
stick time I had in one several months ago.

I'd probably have a stick of some sort in my hands if I did that :-))

Gotta love the smell inside those turbine powered egg-beaters...
ahhh....

Oh yessssss.

Beav

Old April 19th 05, 12:45 AM
Gary Knutson

The article is available on their website under the Feb issue. An
excellent read! IMO

Gary

The OTHER Kevin in San Diego wrote:

On 17 Apr 2005 15:53:48 -0700, wrote:

Kevin
Still working on the pics. Also reminded that I did an article for
HelicopterMonthly.com in the Feb issue on ag work and it has one shot
of me sitting on a truck with the Hiller 12E. My older computer has all
the pics on the HD and I'm having a hard time transfering them to the
new one.

I'm sure we've got that issue floatying around the shop here. I'll
look for it once I finish up this wiring harness....

Good luck with your new school and I'd imagine you are going to
progress much more quickly. The old guys like me have a wealth of tips
and practical stuff that only comes with time and often we don't think
of them until the situation comes along that triggers the memory. Also
don't have much patience with pilots/students who aren't ready for a
flight lesson or who don't study in between flights.

Lack of motivation was another factor in my leaving the old school.
The instrument class was ridiculously unorganized and the cough
syllabus jumped around like an epileptic on crack. Not the
instructor's fault, the school's fault as they selected the syllabus -
which follows a book you can't even GET anymore. I've purchased the
Jepp DVDs and have been wathing them for at least an hour a night
since I got 'em. They're a great way to fall asleep when you're not
tired. hehehe

Have fun and enjoy
yourself. I haven't made any approaches in the SAN area since about
1985-86 when I was flying a corporate Merlin II based in SNA.

I'm gonna. Just met my new instructor a few minutes ago. Very nice
guy and he already gave me some "homework" to take care of before our
1st flight on 5/7. Yeah, it's a bit of a hiatus, but I'm going to try
and get the chief pilot to get my checked out on their 22s so I can
knock out some X-country time before then.

Old April 19th 05, 02:16 PM
Beav

"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT" net wrote in
message ...
On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 12:27:56 +0100, "Beav"
wrote:

"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT" net wrote in
message ...

Yep.. 5 blades on the big fan, 2 on the little one. Not sure when/if
I'll get time in it, but I can always think back to the 20 mins of
stick time I had in one several months ago.

I'd probably have a stick of some sort in my hands if I did that :-))

I know I can always count on you to turn a beautiful memory into a
phallic adventure I don't want to take.

I was thinking "stick of rock", but I knew YOU'D manage to twist things

Gotta love the smell inside those turbine powered egg-beaters...
ahhh....

Oh yessssss.

Smells like.... expensive!

It's that alright!