Best tug for a 3000lb SEP?

Old April 25th 05, 03:14 PM
Matt Barrow

"Ron Rosenfeld" wrote in message
On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 15:06:51 -0700, "Matt Barrow"
wrote:

Pushing can be done with the tractor because it has a nice (read strong)

two
speed reverse gear (and three forward). I use it to get the bird back

into
the hanger as there is about a 2" lip to across on the foundation slab.

Our tractor has multiple slow speeds, too. I think there are about ten or
twelve forward and four reverse.

But my problem has to do with the joints at the towbar-tractor and
towbar-a/c. Once I get a little off, I can't seem to (easily) get things
straightened out again. And the Mooney has fairly narrow nosewheel

turning
limits (+/-15° if I recall correctly).

I think that's more than the Bonanza.

Hmmm... I always found it was like backing a trailer. If things get out of
whack (as opposed to in whack) just go forward and start over. I try to
avoid counting on the nosewheel being able to make up for my misalignment.

One thing is to avoid trying to cut some sharp angles. Also, having enough
room is helpful; if our taxiway lane was more cramped, I'd probably find it
a lot more traumatic.

Matt
---------------------
Matthew W. Barrow
Site-Fill Homes, LLC.
Montrose, CO

Old April 25th 05, 03:47 PM
Allen

"Ron Rosenfeld" wrote in message
We have one, too. And I have no problem "pulling". But I've never got
that knack of "pushing" with it. So I wound up getting a NoseDragger.

I had a John Deere 318 with hydrostatic drive. Built a frame with hitch on
the front of the tractor, much better for pushing the airplane into the
hangar. Was using it on a P-Baron, had to fill the tires with calcium fluid
to have enough traction to get it up the little incline into the hangar.

Allen

Old April 25th 05, 04:22 PM
Matt Barrow

"Allen" wrote in message
. ..
I had a John Deere 318 with hydrostatic drive. Built a frame with hitch

on
the front of the tractor, much better for pushing the airplane into the
hangar. Was using it on a P-Baron, had to fill the tires with calcium

fluid
to have enough traction to get it up the little incline into the hangar.

What does the fluid in the tires do?

Old April 25th 05, 04:53 PM
Jim Burns

Provides more weight, sticking the rubber directly to the road, thus
providing more traction. Most large tractor drive tires have fluid (calcium
chloride solution) in them. Weight in the tires does not stress the frame,
axels or transmissions as much as the same weight bolted to the wheels or
frame weights bolted onto the tractor frame. It also helps prevent "wheel
hopping" in loose sandy soil.

Jim Burns

Old April 25th 05, 10:39 PM
Matt Barrow

"Jim Burns" wrote in message
news
Provides more weight, sticking the rubber directly to the road, thus
providing more traction. Most large tractor drive tires have fluid

(calcium
chloride solution) in them. Weight in the tires does not stress the

frame,
axels or transmissions as much as the same weight bolted to the wheels or
frame weights bolted onto the tractor frame. It also helps prevent "wheel
hopping" in loose sandy soil.

Kinda what I figgered!

Thanks!

Old April 26th 05, 02:28 AM
Ron Rosenfeld

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 07:14:02 -0700, "Matt Barrow"
wrote:

Hmmm... I always found it was like backing a trailer. If things get out of
whack (as opposed to in whack) just go forward and start over.

Well, I don't have any experience backing a trailer. So that's probably
why I spent almost equal times in forward as in reverse :-))

Fortunately, for me, I have another solution , now.

Old April 26th 05, 03:35 PM
Matt Barrow

wrote:

Hmmm... I always found it was like backing a trailer. If things get out

of
whack (as opposed to in whack) just go forward and start over.

Well, I don't have any experience backing a trailer. So that's probably
why I spent almost equal times in forward as in reverse :-))

Fortunately, for me, I have another solution , now.

Just remember that the trailer (or whatever) goes in the direction you turn
the steering wheel. :~)

--
Matt

Old April 27th 05, 12:02 PM
Ron Rosenfeld

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 07:35:35 -0700, "Matt Barrow"
wrote:

Just remember that the trailer (or whatever) goes in the direction you turn
the steering wheel. :~)

I do. I still can't get the nack of it. Lots of PIO here :-(