tie downs in the bush

Old August 23rd 05, 02:05 AM
tom pettit

Default tie downs in the bush

I've seen two basic gizmos for tying down a plane in the bush: something
that looks like a corkscrew, and something that looks like and auger. Which
one is best, and why?
thanks
tom

Old August 23rd 05, 02:34 AM
john smith

tom pettit tompetatpeak wrote:
I've seen two basic gizmos for tying down a plane in the bush: something
that looks like a corkscrew, and something that looks like and auger. Which
one is best, and why?
thanks

Neither!
Get Fly-ties or The Claw!
Or, there are plans available on the EAA website to make your own.

Old August 23rd 05, 03:04 AM
Kyle Boatright

"john smith" wrote in message
tom pettit tompetatpeak wrote:
I've seen two basic gizmos for tying down a plane in the bush: something
that looks like a corkscrew, and something that looks like and auger.
Which one is best, and why?
thanks

Neither!
Get Fly-ties or The Claw!
Or, there are plans available on the EAA website to make your own.

Got a URL? I looked and couldn't find anything at EAA.org.

Old August 23rd 05, 01:22 PM
john smith

Kyle Boatright wrote:
"john smith" wrote in message

tom pettit tompetatpeak wrote:

I've seen two basic gizmos for tying down a plane in the bush: something
that looks like a corkscrew, and something that looks like and auger.
Which one is best, and why?
thanks

Neither!
Get Fly-ties or The Claw!
Or, there are plans available on the EAA website to make your own.

Got a URL? I looked and couldn't find anything at EAA.org.

It was on the AirVenture site, under Aircraft Camping or Flying Into
earlier this year or last.
Old August 23rd 05, 03:43 PM

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 12:22:48 GMT, john smith wrote:

Kyle Boatright wrote:
"john smith" wrote in message

tom pettit tompetatpeak wrote:

I've seen two basic gizmos for tying down a plane in the bush: something
that looks like a corkscrew, and something that looks like and auger.
Which one is best, and why?
thanks

Neither!
Get Fly-ties or The Claw!
Or, there are plans available on the EAA website to make your own.

Got a URL? I looked and couldn't find anything at EAA.org.

It was on the AirVenture site, under Aircraft Camping or Flying Into
earlier this year or last.

Looks like: http://www.theclaw.com/products/claw.php
Maybe very secure but not too easy to remove!
Old August 23rd 05, 04:11 PM
ET

wrote in news:iedmg1tamtlkqlug467kj6s13dullgcblm@
4ax.com:

http://www.theclaw.com/products/claw.php

VERY easy to remove, just like a smooth tent stake. It's removed with the
claw of the hammer, the trick is to pull straight along the line of each
"nail" huge holding power since each "nail" has a different "line", but
easy to remove.

--
-- ET :-)

"A common mistake people make when trying to design something
fools."---- Douglas Adams
Old August 23rd 05, 04:15 PM
Newps

tom pettit tompetatpeak wrote:

I've seen two basic gizmos for tying down a plane in the bush: something
that looks like a corkscrew, and something that looks like and auger. Which
one is best, and why?

The corkscrew is a joke. In the mountains where I fly you'll never get
that stupid thing more than 2 inches into the ground. The best I've
used is one called the Claw. You can find it at Aircraft Spruce, last I
saw it was $99.
Old August 23rd 05, 05:59 PM
Blanche

I invented a tie-down for OSH this year that worked incredibly well
and cost less than $50. Got thru the storm on Monday night, so I
guess it'll hold thru most stuff.

1) go to a marine shop (if one's around) and buy the 3/8 in rope that's
recommended by Av Consumer. Total cost - about $25 (I've got a low-wing)

2) Over to Home Depot. Pick up 13 of the 12 in. long 3/8 stakes/nails/
whatever (only need 12, but always have a spare) Total cost - $13
As an option, pickup the big 2 in. washers.

3) Still at Home Depot, go over to the chain section and buy 3 sets of
4 links of the heaviest stuff you can find. Total cost - about $5.

4) Get one of those light-weight but incredibly sturdy hammers - Cost - $3

For the tie-down process:

Put a stake into one of the links. If you want, add a washer between the
link and the stake. Since the stake head is about 1/4 in. larger than the
stake body (and the washer hole is 3/8 in also) this works well.
Now that one stake is in the ground, put another stake in each of the
other 2 links, remember to put them in different directions. Now there's
one link left. (4-link set, remember?) Run the rope from that link
to the tie-downs of the airplane.

Repeat for as many tie-downs as you want.

I remember seeing this on the web someplace, can't remember where.

Note: I would have liked a longer stake, but 12 in. was the longest
I could find. The more costly tie-down sets have stakes from 12-18 in.

I put everything into a nylon sack that was in the basement, gathering
dust.

Weighs about 9 pounds.

For additional safety (if you're near campers), I have a roll of the
safety tape used for construction. It's neon during the day and has
light-reflecting strips for at night. Cost - $2 I think.

But since I wasn't parked near the campers, I didn't worry. Also, the
advantage of the low-wing is that even spreading the rope out many
feet from the tie-down point on the wing, the anchor wasn't much
of an accident waiting to happen. The tail tie-down, however, was a
good 4 feet behind the aircraft.

If you prefer the rachet-type straps, those'll work with the links too.

Old August 23rd 05, 07:09 PM
N93332

"Blanche" wrote in message
I invented a tie-down for OSH this year that worked incredibly well
and cost less than $50. Got thru the storm on Monday night, so I
guess it'll hold thru most stuff.

1) go to a marine shop (if one's around) and buy the 3/8 in rope that's
recommended by Av Consumer. Total cost - about $25 (I've got a low-wing)

2) Over to Home Depot. Pick up 13 of the 12 in. long 3/8 stakes/nails/
whatever (only need 12, but always have a spare) Total cost - $13
As an option, pickup the big 2 in. washers.

3) Still at Home Depot, go over to the chain section and buy 3 sets of
4 links of the heaviest stuff you can find. Total cost - about $5.

4) Get one of those light-weight but incredibly sturdy hammers - Cost - $3

Blanche,

Thanks for the information! Don't you mean 10 stakes (1 spare) instead of 13
or do you put 4 stakes for each tiedown or have 4 tiedowns? I haven't needed
to supply my own tiedown stakes, yet, but someday I'll fly into Oshkosh.
I'll have to go to the local Home Depot Pilot Store and locate these parts
and throw them in the plane.

-Greg B.

bush rules! Be Kind Military Aviation 53 February 14th 04 04:26 PM
God Honest Naval Aviation 2 July 24th 03 04:45 AM