A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Nadler Arcus Bailout

Old February 13th 21, 04:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Fadden
external usenet poster

Default Nadler Arcus Bailout

On Friday, February 12, 2021 at 11:06:29 AM UTC-5, wrote:
A really important message in Dave's excellent (though frustratingly inconclusive) PPT from P1 and P2: post accident, write down EVERYTHING you can remember ASAP.

In my experience, spectators should do the same. I don't care how observant and resilient and aware you think you are, you'll start forgetting things and molding facts to fit into theories almost from the beginning. Especially if others witnessed the same accident, write down what YOU saw--in detail. You can flesh them out and organize them later and even compare notes--which may not agree completely with others' accounts--but keep your ORIGINAL observations. Our minds work in mysterious ways.

Chip Bearden
JB

And don't be surprised if your recollections a few days later differ from what you initially wrote down. Police involved in deadly encounters are usually not required to submit to a formal interview for at least 48 hours. Studies have shown that, when facing life threatening situations, memories are more accurate after two sleep cycles. They have also shown that every time we recall an event, we change the memory a bit. Mysterious indeed. Of course, the consequences for a cop having inconsistent statements are quite different than the survivor of a bailout.
Old February 13th 21, 07:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud
external usenet poster

I was involved in an incident (September 2003). United Airlines MD 80 and little olde me in a MD 520N were put into the same place in space and time by Burbank Tower. NASA was impressed enough about the two reports filed that they put me and the pilot the the MD 80 in touch (something they are not supposed to do). When I talked to the other pilot we each had different recollections of the exact moments of the incident. I know it happened at 150 feet, the MD 80 thought it was 25 feet... Amazing story, and and the old time I ever met an angel. But then again, it only takes one meeting to know for sure...

On Saturday, February 13, 2021 at 8:00:44 AM UTC-8, wrote:
On Friday, February 12, 2021 at 11:06:29 AM UTC-5, wrote:
A really important message in Dave's excellent (though frustratingly inconclusive) PPT from P1 and P2: post accident, write down EVERYTHING you can remember ASAP.

In my experience, spectators should do the same. I don't care how observant and resilient and aware you think you are, you'll start forgetting things and molding facts to fit into theories almost from the beginning. Especially if others witnessed the same accident, write down what YOU saw--in detail. You can flesh them out and organize them later and even compare notes--which may not agree completely with others' accounts--but keep your ORIGINAL observations. Our minds work in mysterious ways.

Chip Bearden
JB

And don't be surprised if your recollections a few days later differ from what you initially wrote down. Police involved in deadly encounters are usually not required to submit to a formal interview for at least 48 hours. Studies have shown that, when facing life threatening situations, memories are more accurate after two sleep cycles. They have also shown that every time we recall an event, we change the memory a bit. Mysterious indeed. Of course, the consequences for a cop having inconsistent statements are quite different than the survivor of a bailout.

Old February 14th 21, 05:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jason Leonard
external usenet poster

On Friday, February 12, 2021 at 11:14:52 AM UTC-5, Hank Nixon wrote:
On Friday, February 12, 2021 at 9:52:59 AM UTC-5, IADPE wrote:
Dave and Spence made a presentation at the Little Rock Convention regarding the incident. I can’t find the video archive of it, but I thought it was available.

Here’s the NTSB report, not yet concluded: https://data.ntsb.gov/carol-repgen/a...port/97551/pdf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8I3A3dqsu0
copy and paste link
UH

Hank thank you for sharing those links. The youtube video is rather difficult to listen to - BUT MAN SHOULD YOU. Great things come from these events if there are survivors. My take away is briefings, equipment, and a prayer.

I'll be briefing bailouts (once I have my chute up and running) from now on..

Equipment will now include a static line for both seats, and the canopy struts will be replaced to assist in breakaway. The Spot will be stitched to my straps in a safe to mount place. I'll keep a car map with me in my pants. I'll only wear contacts if my vision gets as bad as his back seater apparently was, and I'll wear pants if possible. If I can work it out: I'll see if I can get a water holder on my pants, but hopefully that wouldn't mean losing the pants during opening lol!

I'm obviously open to further input. But those were some big takeaways for me.
Old February 14th 21, 05:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jason Leonard
external usenet poster

Biggest takeaway: You'll likely be hurt and it'll be SEVERAL hours until someone begins looking for you. I'm having a Spot stitched to my chute.
Old February 15th 21, 04:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gregg Ballou[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Sunday, February 14, 2021 at 12:14:07 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Friday, February 12, 2021 at 11:14:52 AM UTC-5, Hank Nixon wrote:
On Friday, February 12, 2021 at 9:52:59 AM UTC-5, IADPE wrote:
Dave and Spence made a presentation at the Little Rock Convention regarding the incident. I can’t find the video archive of it, but I thought it was available.

Here’s the NTSB report, not yet concluded: https://data.ntsb.gov/carol-repgen/a...port/97551/pdf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8I3A3dqsu0
copy and paste link
UH

Hank thank you for sharing those links. The youtube video is rather difficult to listen to - BUT MAN SHOULD YOU. Great things come from these events if there are survivors. My take away is briefings, equipment, and a prayer..

I'll be briefing bailouts (once I have my chute up and running) from now on.

Equipment will now include a static line for both seats, and the canopy struts will be replaced to assist in breakaway. The Spot will be stitched to my straps in a safe to mount place. I'll keep a car map with me in my pants. I'll only wear contacts if my vision gets as bad as his back seater apparently was, and I'll wear pants if possible. If I can work it out: I'll see if I can get a water holder on my pants, but hopefully that wouldn't mean losing the pants during opening lol!

I'm obviously open to further input. But those were some big takeaways for me.

FYI contacts will be gone even at subterminal freefall speeds.