Avmap 2000c onsale???

Old June 10th 07, 01:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Peter Westerkamp-TBRR

Default Avmap 2000c onsale???

Just a quick thanks for everyone's responses. I ordered the unit from Gulf
Coast Avionics and I am waiting for delivery. For some reason there is a
manufacturer's backlog.

Someone mentioned the newer chip with better terrain resolution. Here in
Tampa that is not really a big issue, it is weather in summer that is.

Have a great day in the sky!

Peter

"Peter Westerkamp-TBRR" wrote in message
I have been looking for a decent, nice size color screen GPS for under
$1,000. Just recently the Lowrance Avmap 2000c has gone on sale for as
little as $699! I called one of the dealers (Gulf Coast Avionics) just to
check if it is a sale or a "close out" and was assured it is just a
temporary sale.

Is this too good to be true, could it be that Lowrance is planning a
release soon of a 2000x with weather?

I like the unit but would like to avoid buying a unit that could be
obsolete in months.

Any thoughts?

Peter

Old June 10th 07, 02:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Montblack

("Peter Westerkamp-TBRR" wrote)
Someone mentioned the newer chip with better terrain resolution. Here in
Tampa that is not really a big issue, it is weather in summer that is.

Tampa, huh?

Question...

How do the depict oil rig platforms on the Avmap 2000c? Anything special?

Just silly curiosity.

P-Mont
(NAC) Necessary Aviation Content
http://www.wbu.com/chipperwoods/photos/passpigeon.htm
MontBlack has gone the way of the Passenger Pigeon

Old June 12th 07, 01:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Isaksen

"Peter Westerkamp-TBRR" wrote in ...
Just a quick thanks for everyone's responses. I ordered the unit from Gulf
Coast Avionics and I am waiting for delivery. For some reason there is a
manufacturer's backlog.

I assume you mean Lowrance 2000c in your subject line ?!?

Interesting. I've not done research to validate this, but this may be a
nationwide issue. While chatting with the Lowrance rep at the AOPA FlyIn
(Thin tall older fellow, runs the booth at all the shows for the past few
years) a lady came up and complained that none of the avionics vendors in
the tent had the 2000c in stock. He smiled and asked if she'd tried the
internet, then admitted that he'd heard that the supplies may be getting a
bit low. Then another comment about how it was difficult for the factory to
get raw LCD displays at the price and quantity, because all production
sources are retooling for the TV and DVD markets.

I excused myself at that point, but my earlier discussion with him revolved
around "when is weather coming?" To which he did a terriffic verbal tap
dance. Bottom line, it doesn't look good for Osh. He said they are working
on something big to leapfrog ahead of the 2000c, but in the same footprint.
He gave me nothing when I pressed him. My other question was if they planned
to do anything to improve/support the 1000? His answer was quick; they were
committed to color and there was only 81 (or 86, i forget) left in the new
build schedule for the factory. That's it, no more thereafter. He said
there's still lots of 1000 inventory out there, just no more in the new
pipe. The last topic I was on with him, before the lady interupted, was
improvement for in-car use? He dismissed that idea and vaguely pointed down
the tent aisle saying "why would I want a $2000 aviation model when I could
get a $200 talking unit that I won't be afraid to leave hooked up in the
car?" His tone indicated a bit of frustration.

My walkaway impression is that the Marine side of the house may be dictating
the music selection more than ever.

Old June 12th 07, 09:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Mike Isaksen wrote:
My walkaway impression is that the Marine side of the house may be
dictating the music selection more than ever.

You probably know this, but Lowrance has gone/is going through some
mergers and sales. For what it's worth, I drive by the Lowrance plant
in Tulsa semi-regularly - it's on the south side of I-44. For the past
several years, the big sign out front just said "Lowrance Electronics"
with the square-with-L-carved-out logo. Sometime in the past few months,
they changed the sign faces. It has four different names on the sign
now; I think Lowrance was one of them, Navico was another, and I don't
remember offhand what the other two were.

Their press release page at http://www.lowrance.com/Company/press.asp
has some more details about the mergers and sales. For extra fun, group
the press releases broadly into "boat", "car/truck/motorcycle",
"airplane", and "other", and count how many there are in each category.
Your impression, the press releases, and Kyle Boatright's comment

Kyle Boatright wrote:
At SnF, I had a nice discussion with the outgoing President of Lowrance.
[...] He also said Lowrance would have been first to market with XM
weather, but the parent corporation re-tasked the R&D folks to providing
solutions for large marine users.

all seem to say a similar thing.

I don't _know_, but looking at it from Lowrance's end, I _suspect_ their
margins are higher on the marine products. They can probably price them
higher in that market, and also avoid some of the cost of regulatory
approvals.

Matt Roberds