Fuel Prices For The July Pilgrimage

Old May 25th 07, 12:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
M[_1_]

Default Fuel Prices For The July Pilgrimage

On May 24, 11:44 am, "Rich S."
wrote:

We left home and flew to Pullman in eastern Washington for the first fillup.
When we were passing 25 mi. north of Helena, MT, the engine quit - vapor
locked. Contributing factors were the high temperature (85 F @ 9500'), the
(I suspect) old mogas I bought in Pullman, and my fuel system design, having
the electric pump forward of the firewall and no forward-facing air scoops
on the tank vents.

What model of the plane is this?

Old May 25th 07, 04:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Rich S.[_1_]

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message

Why is mogas from an unknown source worse than avgas from an unknown
source?

Although I cannot cite a reference, it has always been my belief that Avgas
is subject to tighter inspection procedures from the refinery to the
customer. Also, I think that Mogas is blended more specifically for seasonal
use. If the FBO is not selling a large quantity (compared to the size of his
tank) you may get Mogas that is several months old. This means it could be
blended inappropriately for the season - or simply be just old gas with less
volatiles and/or water from condensation.

Rich S.

Old May 25th 07, 05:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Rich S.[_1_]

"M" wrote in message
oups.com...

What model of the plane is this?

CP-323a Emeraude, although the fuel system was of my own design and
construction. I have added a blast tube to cool the electric fuel pump and
an air scoop on the vents to pressurize the fuel tanks.

http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c4/elwood89//harvey5.jpg

Rich S.

Old May 25th 07, 08:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Rich S.[_1_]

"Montblack" wrote in message

Nice pic

Thanks. We were flying in formation with an RV-4, headed up to Snohomish for
a Sunday morning breakfast. His wife snapped the picture.

Rich S.

Old May 26th 07, 03:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Tim Hickey

I have a Zenith CH-300 with an O-320. I had a similar problem in the
beginning. I did as you have done, plus insulated the fuel lines,
installed a small heat reflective shield over the gascolater, and ran
a blast tube down to the mechanical fuel pump. Since then (about 1990)
I have run over 9000 gallons of mogas through the machine with out
problem. Although I will always let the engine (and the fuel pump that
is bolted to the case) cool between flights. If I know that I will be
doing flights without allowing a cool down period, I will put 100LL in
one tank, and take off on it.

On Fri, 25 May 2007 09:02:46 -0700, "Rich S."
wrote:

"M" wrote in message
roups.com...

What model of the plane is this?

CP-323a Emeraude, although the fuel system was of my own design and
construction. I have added a blast tube to cool the electric fuel pump and
an air scoop on the vents to pressurize the fuel tanks.

http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c4/elwood89//harvey5.jpg

Rich S.

Zenith CH-300 Driver.
Old May 26th 07, 03:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"Tim Hickey" wrote

If I know that I will be
doing flights without allowing a cool down period, I will put 100LL in
one tank, and take off on it.

Do you notice a need to make much (or any) mixture change when changing from
100LL to mogas, or visey-versey?
--
Jim in NC

Old May 26th 07, 04:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Rich S.[_1_]

"Tim Hickey" wrote in message
I have a Zenith CH-300 with an O-320. I had a similar problem in the
beginning. I did as you have done, plus insulated the fuel lines,
installed a small heat reflective shield over the gascolater, and ran
a blast tube down to the mechanical fuel pump. Since then (about 1990)
I have run over 9000 gallons of mogas through the machine with out
problem. Although I will always let the engine (and the fuel pump that
is bolted to the case) cool between flights. If I know that I will be
doing flights without allowing a cool down period, I will put 100LL in
one tank, and take off on it.

Sounds like you have addressed all the issues that might arise from burning
"good" mogas. Obviously, nothing can insure failure from bad or contaminated
fuel, whatever the grade. I had insulated all my firewall-forward tubing
during the original construction, but insulation only delays heat, it
doesn't stop it. Sometimes I wish I had a thermometer which would monitor
under cowl temps. When it gets hot out, I can't believe the blast furnace
air that emits from the oil filler door. I remember one featured airplane in
Sport Aviation which had cowl vents which fell open whenever there was no
air pressure inside the cowl. Seems like a good idea to vent the hot air
when you shut down.

My Emeraude has both a mechanical pump and an electric pump. If I had to do
it over again, I would mount the electric pump near the rear tank, to insure
fuel flow. There is something to be said for the original design which had
nothing but gravity flow from the cowl tank along with a forward-facing tube
on the fuel cap. Sometimes simple is best.

Tailwinds,
Rich S.

Old May 26th 07, 01:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jay Honeck

Sounds like you have addressed all the issues that might arise from burning
"good" mogas. Obviously, nothing can insure failure from bad or contaminated
fuel, whatever the grade. I had insulated all my firewall-forward tubing
during the original construction, but insulation only delays heat, it
doesn't stop it. Sometimes I wish I had a thermometer which would monitor
under cowl temps. When it gets hot out, I can't believe the blast furnace
air that emits from the oil filler door. I remember one featured airplane in
Sport Aviation which had cowl vents which fell open whenever there was no
air pressure inside the cowl. Seems like a good idea to vent the hot air
when you shut down.

All good ideas. I, too, have often wondered why I have all the data
in the world on my JPI engine analyzer, but no "under-the-cowl"
temperature readings.

I suppose CHT and EGT are the pertinent temps, but that doesn't show
what all those hoses, wires, and connections are enduring. I'd bet
it's well over 200 degrees at the firewall, in the summer during a
long taxi -- but I don't honestly know.

Regardless, as you know we've run over 8500 gallons of mogas through
Atlas (and an unknown amount through our old O-320-powered Warrior)
without so much as a burp. Different fuel systems, I guess.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 26th 07, 11:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Tim Hickey

I can tell no difference between running 100LL and Mogas.

On Fri, 25 May 2007 22:52:36 -0400, "Morgans"
wrote:

"Tim Hickey" wrote

If I know that I will be
doing flights without allowing a cool down period, I will put 100LL in
one tank, and take off on it.

Do you notice a need to make much (or any) mixture change when changing from
100LL to mogas, or visey-versey?
--
Jim in NC

Zenith CH-300 Driver.

Fuel Prices For The July Pilgrimage RST Engineering Piloting 46 June 15th 07 10:45 PM
Fuel prices Paul kgyy Owning 14 October 19th 05 10:55 PM
Fuel Prices Ross Richardson Owning 60 September 30th 05 02:06 AM
Fuel Prices ~R Rotorcraft 0 September 10th 05 03:56 PM
Fuel Prices S Green Piloting 0 May 9th 04 09:47 PM