Avmap 2000c onsale???

Old May 24th 07, 03:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Peter Westerkamp-TBRR

Default Avmap 2000c onsale???

I have been looking for a decent, nice size color screen GPS for under
$1,000. Just recently the Lowrance Avmap 2000c has gone on sale for as
little as $699! I called one of the dealers (Gulf Coast Avionics) just to
check if it is a sale or a "close out" and was assured it is just a
temporary sale.

Is this too good to be true, could it be that Lowrance is planning a release
soon of a 2000x with weather?

I like the unit but would like to avoid buying a unit that could be obsolete
in months.

Any thoughts?

Peter

Old May 24th 07, 04:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
tony roberts

I bought mine for $695.00 last summer.
They just released a larger terrain avoidance chip with higher
definition map.
The unit won't be obsolete in a few months - even if something new does
come out, if the one you bought still does what you want then it is
doing it's job.
And consider, if we all kept waiting for the latest and greatest, we'd
still be using a slate and chalk!
You have to jump in sometime, and, IMHO, the 2000c is a great place to
jump in.

Tony

--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL
Old May 24th 07, 04:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

You have to jump in sometime, and, IMHO, the 2000c is a great place to
jump in.

Agreed. The 2000c is the best pure aviation GPS on the market today,
and the price point is excellent.

We've got one, and prefer it to the Garmin 496, which cost
exponentially more.

--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 24th 07, 02:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Grumman 46U

On Wed, 23 May 2007 22:44:12 -0400, "Peter Westerkamp-TBRR"
wrote:

I have been looking for a decent, nice size color screen GPS for under
$1,000. Just recently the Lowrance Avmap 2000c has gone on sale for as
little as $699! I called one of the dealers (Gulf Coast Avionics) just to
check if it is a sale or a "close out" and was assured it is just a
temporary sale.

Is this too good to be true, could it be that Lowrance is planning a release
soon of a 2000x with weather?

I like the unit but would like to avoid buying a unit that could be obsolete
in months.

Any thoughts?

Peter

I bought mine about 6 months ago for $695 and don't think it will be
"obsolete" any time soon. It might not have all the features that a
newer model would have when released, but it sure does a fine job for
me just as it is. I use it all the time and have never had a minute's
problem with it.

Michael
Old May 24th 07, 03:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Longworth[_1_]

On May 23, 10:44 pm, "Peter Westerkamp-TBRR"
Is this too good to be true, could it be that Lowrance is planning a release
soon of a 2000x with weather?

I like the unit but would like to avoid buying a unit that could be obsolete
in months.

Peter,
I surely hope that Lowrance will introduce the long-awaited
aviation GPS with weather at Oshkosh this year. Last year, the
salesman told me that they would introduce the unit at S-n-F but it
appeared that they were late. Early this year, I came across some
web postings claiming that he/she was beta-testing the Lowrance GPS
with weather so it looked very promising that such unit would be
available soon.

Whether the 2000 w/o weather is obsolete or not depends on your
need. We have the Airmap 1000 and it serves our navigation need just
fine. We do want the weather capability and will likely buy the new
Lowrance unit with weather (keeping the 1000 as backup). The Garmin
396/496 display is just too small for me. BTW, I would not be
surprise if Garmin introduces a new unit big bigger screen soon.

Tablet PC with SSD for navigation/weather, approach/enroute/
sectional charts display is another option that I will consider. It
has been available for a while but the cost is a bit too high. With
many mfgs (Samsung, Sandisk, Transcend, TDK, Ridata, Ritek etc.)
making 32gb SSD, I expect the price of SSD will come down
significantly in the next few months.

Hai Longworth

Old May 24th 07, 08:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Gilan

Well if you are worried about having the latest greatest then don't even
bother with the 2000 and just go buy a AvMap EKP IV and then you will have
a great hand held. It does cost a few hundred more than the 2000 but the
AvMap EKP IV screen is so superior to the 2000 I wouldn't consider any other
hand held.
The 2000 is nice and for $700 not a bad deal but looking at them side by
side at Sun n Fun the AvMap is just so much nicer.

Have a good day and stay out of the trees!
See ya on Sport Aircraft group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Sport_Aircraft/

Old May 24th 07, 11:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dan Luke

"Gilan" wrote:

AvMap EKP IV screen is so superior to the 2000 I wouldn't consider any other
hand held.

No weather? No sale.

--
Dan
? at BFM

Old May 25th 07, 12:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Kyle Boatright

At SnF, I had a nice discussion with the outgoing President of Lowrance. He
indicated that the company would probably have an XM Aviation weather
product out by next year, but he could have been sandbagging. I dunno. He
also said Lowrance would have been first to market with XM weather, but the
parent corporation re-tasked the R&D folks to providing solutions for large
marine users.

KB

Old May 25th 07, 12:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dan Luke

"Jay Honeck" wrote:

Agreed. The 2000c is the best pure aviation GPS on the market today,
and the price point is excellent.

We've got one, and prefer it to the Garmin 496, which cost
exponentially more.

A 496 costs $483,025.00?

Wow; I got such a deal!

--
Dan
? at BFM

Old May 25th 07, 06:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Darrel Toepfer

"Peter Westerkamp-TBRR" wrote:

I have been looking for a decent, nice size color screen GPS for under
$1,000. Just recently the Lowrance Avmap 2000c has gone on sale for as
little as $699! I called one of the dealers (Gulf Coast Avionics) just
to check if it is a sale or a "close out" and was assured it is just a
temporary sale.

Thats about what we paid over 2 years ago, although without the
terrain...

I'm debating whether to upgrade the terrain/database before OSH or to
wait and see what deals are available there. I'll have some extra 1/2
Gig SD cards along for the trip for that purpose...

Anybody got a good discount location for the terrain + current update
now? Next cycle is: 7/5/2007 - 8/1/2007

I also fly with an Axim/PocketFMS/BT GPS system, thats always current. I
get the weather/winds through that, but it requires internet access
(802.11x) for updating along the way...