Collins Pro Line vs Garmin G1000

Old June 18th 07, 07:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Charles Talleyrand

Default Collins Pro Line vs Garmin G1000

I notice that the Citation CJ1s have Collins Pro Line and the Citation
Mustangs have Garmin 1000s. Does the Pro Line have any significant
advantages over the Garmin 1000? Which might be easier for the single
pilot to learn?

-Just Curious
-Charles Talleyrand

Old June 18th 07, 03:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
The Visitor

I wonder about such things also. Then new King Air c90gti is going with
Collins Pro Line, which I am sort of happy about. Very, actually.
Logical since the other King Airs are Collins and the Hawker Jet is also.

John

Old June 18th 07, 05:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
karl gruber[_1_]

The Collins Pro Line FMS is WAY more sophisticated than a
G1000............no comparison.

Karl

oups.com...

Old June 19th 07, 04:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Matt Barrow[_4_]

"karl gruber" wrote in message
The Collins Pro Line FMS is WAY more sophisticated than a
G1000............no comparison.

When WAAS becomes predominant over the next few years, a full blown FMS like
the Collins, Honeywell, or Univesal instruments will be fairly obsolete.
Other than as a reference for backup systems, their accuracy will be pretty
poor compared to what WAAS will offer especially given such things as curved
flight paths, descending turns, etc.

--
Matt Barrow
Performace Homes, LLC.

Old June 19th 07, 11:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Gerry Caron

"Matt Barrow" wrote in message

"karl gruber" wrote in message
The Collins Pro Line FMS is WAY more sophisticated than a
G1000............no comparison.

When WAAS becomes predominant over the next few years, a full blown FMS
like the Collins, Honeywell, or Univesal instruments will be fairly
obsolete. Other than as a reference for backup systems, their accuracy
will be pretty poor compared to what WAAS will offer especially given such
things as curved flight paths, descending turns, etc.

When WAAS becomes predominant, the full blown FMSes will be using a WAAS
sensor so they will hardly be obsolete. Even today, most FMS units are
operating with the GPS data 90% of the time. Those redundant modes aren't
very important until you need them. It's still possible to get an integrity
alert even with WAAS.

What you get with a real FMS is a whole host of functions that the G1000
can't even contemplate -- sophisticated vertical nav options, take-off and
landing performance calculations, etc. Those features won't be obsoleted by
a new nav sensor.

I agree with Karl, no comparison.

Gerry

Old June 20th 07, 02:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Matt Barrow[_4_]

"Gerry Caron" wrote in message

"Matt Barrow" wrote in message

"karl gruber" wrote in message
The Collins Pro Line FMS is WAY more sophisticated than a
G1000............no comparison.

When WAAS becomes predominant over the next few years, a full blown FMS
like the Collins, Honeywell, or Univesal instruments will be fairly
obsolete. Other than as a reference for backup systems, their accuracy
will be pretty poor compared to what WAAS will offer especially given
such things as curved flight paths, descending turns, etc.

When WAAS becomes predominant, the full blown FMSes will be using a WAAS
sensor so they will hardly be obsolete.

Yeah...they'll still need those DME's and VOR trangulators.

Even today, most FMS units are operating with the GPS data 90% of the
time. Those redundant modes aren't very important until you need them.
It's still possible to get an integrity alert even with WAAS.

What you get with a real FMS is a whole host of functions that the G1000
can't even contemplate -- sophisticated vertical nav options, take-off and
landing performance calculations, etc. Those features won't be obsoleted
by a new nav sensor.

Just that so much of the FMS's complexity will be overkill...

I suspect the new generation of FMSs will look more like the G100 than
what's out there now.

http://gps.faa.gov/library/Data/waas/40423_Register.doc

Old June 20th 07, 06:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

What you get with a real FMS is a whole host of functions that the G1000
can't even contemplate -- sophisticated vertical nav options, take-off and
landing performance calculations, etc. Those features won't be obsoleted
by a new nav sensor.

Just that so much of the FMS's complexity will be overkill...

We've toured Collins (their plant is in Cedar Rapids, just 30 miles
north of here) and what they're doing there is absolutely amazing.

Friends of ours work there, and to see what they are developing and
testing -- things like "highway in the sky" and datalinked everything
technology -- just blew us away.

I'm sure Garmin is hot on their heels -- but Collins continues to grow
by leaps and bounds. And the avionics we'll be seeing in the future
will make my 496 look like a stone tablet.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 21st 07, 04:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Jose

Friends of ours work there, and to see what they are developing and
testing -- things like "highway in the sky" and datalinked everything
technology -- just blew us away.

I saw a demo of HITS - good for IFR I suppose, but would make for
extremely boring flying.

Jose
--
You can choose whom to befriend, but you cannot choose whom to love.
Old June 21st 07, 04:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

I saw a demo of HITS - good for IFR I suppose, but would make for
extremely boring flying.

IMHO, boring is good, when IFR.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 21st 07, 05:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Jose

I saw a demo of HITS - good for IFR I suppose, but would make for
extremely boring flying.

IMHO, boring is good, when IFR.

Yeah, but look at all the VFR guys with their eyes glued to even
primitive GPS screens.

Jose
--
You can choose whom to befriend, but you cannot choose whom to love.

Collins Pro Line vs Garmin G1000 Charles Talleyrand Piloting 16 June 26th 07 03:38 AM
Garmin G1000 ASA/King? Mitty Instrument Flight Rules 2 November 3rd 06 03:47 PM
Mooney goes with Garmin G1000 Mike Rapoport Owning 4 February 15th 04 01:03 AM
Garmin G1000 Corky Scott Home Built 4 January 9th 04 06:57 AM
Garmin G1000 Foster Owning 2 July 20th 03 06:45 PM